Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 05:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

30 amp main always tripping

I have 2021 2106 fbs. my 30 amp main breaker trips alot espeically if I have the water heater on electric. I do have the bigger AC unit. Am I just pulling to much power with both of these on at same time. I did have this in for service and they told me the hot water heater was leaking and they repaired it. Could the breaker be bad. coulkd they monitor this to see if i do excede 30 amp.
jjmcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Your A/C probably pulls about 15 amps and the water heater about 12 amps. With just these two on you are on the margin. Add the converter and you are over 30 amps.

So yes you are just pulling too much power. Use propane for the water heater and you should be fine. It doesn't use much propane at all.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

When questions of energy use come up, I find it critical to get some actul numbers on what is going on and there are lots of pretty cheap items to tell us what we are using and very easy.
I suggest doing a search for "kill-a-watt meter" to get a full range of prices, etc. and then plug one in to test for how much you are using. It's also a handy gadget to use around the house to find house much energy we waste when we leave things like power supplies plugged in full time.
About ten dollars and up?

https://www.google.com/search?q=kill...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Next time it trips feel the breaker. Is it hot? It could be that it's wire connection or stab into bus bar connection is not low resistance and it is heating up. This will cause the breaker to trip sooner, as part of the breaker is thermal based to trip on long term overloads. Another part of the breaker is a fault based trip to instant trip on very high current overloads due to short circuits.

The 30 should theoretically carry at least 27 amps indefinitely, if it is within tolerance. Should carry 30 for at least an hour or two. The warmer the environment the breaker itself is in the soon the thermal section will reach it's trip temperature and operate the breaker so you may have noticed the problem is worse when it's hot inside your RV.

On my Vista the 30 amp main is part of a double breaker ( 30 a main / 15 a receptacles ) and was getting too hot and the stab into bus bar end part of the plastic housing deteriorated to the point I had to replace the breaker to resolve the problem.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote