Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-29-2022, 08:48 PM   #1
2019 Vista LX 30T

Can I install battery monitor in the battery compartment of my Vista LX?

Hi,
I was considering adding a Victron Smart Shunt 500A battry monitor to my 2019 Vista LX. Specifically installing it in the battery compartment under the stairs. But I see the device is rated at IP21 and the instructions describe installing it in a dry location. I would not consider the battery compartmnt "dry" as it sees the ground and probably some water/mist/spray/humidity possibly when driving. Does anyone have experince on this to share. Snaking thick cables to some truly dry location seems like more work than what I could do.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
mff3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like time to "invent" something!
Yes, I do not think of that battery compartment as dry, so how about just thinking outside the box?
Maybe something as simple as a kitchen storage plastic box as easy and cheap to find and drill/ work to fit and mount?
Or if somtehing less prone to popping open, how about a "dry box" meant for trips down the river. They are certain to stay latched closed but still open when needed.

Lots of options for sizing:
https://www.walmart.com/browse/sport...443515_9508773
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Victron sells an IP65 version of the same shunt, try looking at some marine vendors.

see if this link works

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/vicshu0...RoCciMQAvD_BwE
Old 12-30-2022, 05:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have the Victron BMV-702 500 A shunt on my 2015 Vista 27N installed behind the batteries, below the big DC fuses on the back wall of the below step battery compartment. I mounted it vertically on the far left side. The current one I have some Reflectix filling the air gap between the back of the metal the batteries sit on to the back side to totally prevent any water splashing up. That said, I don't think any water has ever made it up there on my RV in the past 5 years.

I just changed the BMV-700 shunt out for a used BMV-702 500 A shunt (I got good used BMV-702 so I could monitor the battery temperature as part of a LiFe04 battery upgrade) so I had a chance to get a good inspection of the original BMV-700 500 A shunt and it looked OK after being exposed there over 4 years. Based on its appearance I don't think any water ever made it all the way up into there. For those years I never closed the gap between the back of the flat metal the batteries sit on and the back wall, and it was fine.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

A plastic junction box large enough for the shunt to fit into. After connecting seal the wire entries to the box with rubber grommets around the wires.

McGyver never rests.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
A plastic junction box large enough for the shunt to fit into. After connecting seal the wire entries to the box with rubber grommets around the wires.

McGyver never rests.
That was also my first thought as cheap and easy to find but then they also have holes at the wire ports to seal so I leaned away from the easy for the items with fewer holes to seal.
But it is an upgrade from the weather proofing I do on Christmas lights with a Zip-lock baggie!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 02:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

IP 65 junction boxes on Amazon for 20 bucks. Wire entries are easy enough to seal with grommets and/or putty or that leftover dicor you have in the tube.
Old 01-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

you could just buy the shunt made for wet locations

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/vicshu0...RoCciMQAvD_BwE

Tags
battery, install