Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2023, 03:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2017 Minnie Winnie 31 Inverter Wiring Question

So my boys want to use laptops etc while we drive, plus when we boondock, so I bought a 1000W inverter. It is a lBESTEK 1000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter. Driving or when we boondock its very awkward to pull up the step tread and plug in the inverter and clamp onto the batteries to run the inverter. I think there has to be a way to get the inverter plugged in without going through that hassle. I could obv run wires but the thing is, I don't want the thing hardwired. It has an electronic on/off. I could wire it into an outlet but I still need to physically turn it on and off because I can't put it on a remote of any kind. Hard wiring it under my dinette and lifting the seat cushion to turn it on and off is my best option, I suppose. Then maybe run a power strip to..where? Wire up some outlets in the base of the dinette seat, maybe? I don't know. Anyone dealt with this issue?
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm not familiar with this RV, but you could have someone install the 1000watt inverter with a switch to turn it on and off with an outlet strip attached, etc.

If you are only using the inverter to power a few laptops, a 1000watt inverter seems to be overkill. You might want to consider using a much smaller inverter maybe no larger than 300 watts and plug it in to one of your DC power outlets in the RV.

Another option would be to purchase DC powered adapters for the laptops. You can get these from Amazon, but you need to get the correct adapters for your laptop.
eyecando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

One of the big issues when looking at best options is knowing what you have in the RV now as where things might best be fit in.
There are actually 5 different builds of the 2017 Minnie Winnie and that may change the answers.
One first question might be what is right next to the batteries?
Click image for larger version

Name:	mw.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	184976

And the suggestion of a smaller inverter might be a good thing to consider as smaller makes for using less power and smaller wiring. At 1000 watt, you may be looking at using 80-100 amp so smaller is easier if the larger size is not really needed.

More details may help sort the question!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:36 AM   #4
Site Team

With an inverter that large the device does need a direct battery connection because it’s capable of drawing large amperage’s if plugged into something that requires a lot of power.

You kind of have two choices here.

Stick with the inverter you have but have it hard wired installed. Or get a smaller inverter powerful enough to power the laptops but more like 300w so you can simply plug the inverter in a standard 12v “cigarette lighter” type plug.

I haven’t had a chance to check, but many Class C motorhomes your size have just such a small inverter installed from the factory to power the main tv and the sometimes power a plug near the tv to run a satellite receiver or DVD player, too. If so that would work well to power a laptop and small chargers. Check and see if you have one of these.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

2017 Minnie Winnie 31H
next to batteries is dinette on one side and frig on the other. Thats why I thought it might be easiest to run the inverter hardwired under bench and have a few outlets in the base of the bench controlled by the inverter

problem is that the switch on the inverter is electronic. It cannot be switched on remotely. That is part of the problem. I don't want to pull open the bench of the dinette everytime I want to power the inverter or power it down.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:01 AM   #6
Site Team

You purchased a portable car inverter, it’s not something to instal permanently in your RV. You could wire some Anderson Connectors into your RV and use them to plug and unplug the inverter with a direct battery connection without having to lift the step cover. But your choice of a portable inverter has locked you into using it as it a portable device.

Here’s a link to the appropriate plug type on Amazon — you’d need two one for the battery and another for the inverter. This may not be the best exact version you need but an Anderson Connector will make using the inverter plug and play.

https://www.amazon.com/LIXIN-Battery...dp/B07VL5JT2L/
Old 01-15-2023, 08:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. I knew there must be a way to wire the batteries to a remote location, but these Andersons, I don't get. I need to wire the batteries with the female type of connector that you included a link to, that I get. What goes into that? Do two of these fit together somehow? I don't know what to order to attach to the inverter to make it pluggable into the anderson.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I might throw in a different way to sort the question?
You have the inverter, it may be larger than needed but you have it and want to use it so no need to worry that question.
But if you look at the power a couple laptops might use, it may let you go into smaller wiring that is far easier to work than the large needed when speaking of 80-100 amps!

Checking my wife's laptop, I see the power supply is only 3.2 or so amp at 19 volts! Battery powered things normally do not use lots of power as a way to make the onboard battery last.

So if you add up any potential loads like anything they are prone to want to use, would it be less than a far more common plug like 15 amp?

The normal cig lighter plug will likely not fit the size wire on the inverter but if only needing power in the 15 amp range, one might look at cuttiing the clamps off, adding smaller wire to fit the standard plugs and outlets. For making it safe, adding an inline fuse to protect the plugs, outlets and wire.

The inverter rating of 1000 watt is only going to figure in if the output is that high. Maybe a first step is checking WHAT total output would be by looking at their power supply labels?
Old 01-15-2023, 11:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Thank you. I knew there must be a way to wire the batteries to a remote location, but these Andersons, I don't get. I need to wire the batteries with the female type of connector that you included a link to, that I get. What goes into that? Do two of these fit together somehow? I don't know what to order to attach to the inverter to make it pluggable into the anderson.
Another Anderson Connector. You need a pair. Yes, they plug in together. They are for secure higher amperage removable connections.

By all means don’t undertake something like this if you are at all uneasy with this kind of work.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

This item contains both the male and female part and do plug together if you decide to go with this method.

https://www.amazon.com/micrl-Electri.../dp/B0B3WX94R2

This is a fuse holder that would work to protect the wiring. The fuse size should size should be reduced to probably no more than 30 amps.

https://www.amazon.com/Febrytold-Gau.../dp/B08QHKXD5N

There are many different types of switches avaiable on Amazon rated for 30 amps DC current.
eyecando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

What you are seeing is the difference in size size for different current needs. If you can get the current needs for a couple laptops to come in under 15 amp, then the market opens really wide as you can begin to look at the common cig lighter that is used for tons of things.
The point is going to be how you want to deal with getting a connection made. Go shopping long and hard to maintain a 80-100 amp connection that will fit the wires to carry that current, But those can run in the 80-100 dolar range, so I back away from those as too large, etc for my RV use.
Checking the actual current needs versus what the inverter is caable of is one way to get a better idea of what you need.
If you find it is less than 15-20, then you can go with the far more common plugs, etc by adding a short section of wires to cut the large wirte down to fit the plug.
The power supply for the laptops should have the current specs labeled/stamped on them and it can be in several different styles. Milliamps is one or they may go for amps or other terms. That's when the internet is great for just asking Google what 3000 milliamp is in amp or whatever term you want it to be. No need of deep eduacation when online calulators do it so quick and easy!
Small wires to fit the need, add a fuse in line to protect that small wire section and teach folks not to plug some heavy draw like a hair drier into THAT outlet.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:11 AM   #12
Site Team

Richard’s suggestion would work, that is until someone says, “Hey, we’ve got AC power right here, let’s use it for the toaster oven and the coffee maker.”
Old 01-16-2023, 12:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Richard’s suggestion would work, that is until someone says, “Hey, we’ve got AC power right here, let’s use it for the toaster oven and the coffee maker.”

That's the good reason for choosing a fuse to fit the wiring. After they blow the fuse to make sure the wiring is all safe, they may learn to pay attention.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

all good points fellows. Never anticipate using the inverter for more than charging stuff, maybe running small appliance while boondocking. Seems to be a 35A circuit would be plenty good. Love the anderson connectors, they look pretty simple and safe. I will look for longer wires, though, probably need 5 feet to get a connector into an accessible location near the dinette and just a short piece on the inverter to use on the table. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-18-2023, 04:57 PM   #15
Boondocker

Take care! If you have a 100 W laptop power supply, you might only draw 1 amp at 110VAC from the inverter... but on the input side where your inverter is drawing power from 12V batteries, that becomes more like 10 amps. Given the potential to plug in closer to 1000W of appliances at the inverter, you should hard wire to the batteries with 100A wire, and include a fuse in the positive line.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring, inverter