Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2022, 07:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2007 Itasca Cambria Converter

A little off-topic but new here and not sure if I can post yet, (or how to) I have a 2007 itasca cambria and see that the "brochure" says it has a 45 W converter, but is this a single stage or multi stage? Wondering about putting AGM or Lithium in and didn't know if I would have to change converters. I guess I should dig around behind panels to find it and check model # etc.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Checking the actual Converter for model info is good, but in 2007 I would be surprised if it had any advanced features.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Good to know. Just getting started in learning about converters
Old 04-29-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

2007 - it would be a 3 stage, it is "45 Amp" not 45 Watt". That means theoretically it can put out 45 amps DC max. In real world this will be more like 40 amps max.

Stages:

Bulk, when state of charge < 80% -- Will put out the max AKA about 40 amps. Charge voltage of up to 14.4 volts.

Boost, state of charge 80 % to aprox 96 % -- charge current will slowly taper down from 40 amps to about 5 amps. Charge voltage will taper down from around 14 volts to around 13.7 volts. Taper down keeps from vaporizing water out of the batteries.

Float, state of charge above aprox 96 % -- output voltage fixed at about 13.5 volts, there will be an amp or two flowing into the batteries. The current flowing into the batteries continues even after they reach 100 % but it's small enough not to vaporize water out of the batteries.

Float,
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

So I shouldn’t have to hit the battery disconnect switch if things are working properly and it shouldn’t cook the batteries? I only have 1 good deep cycle now so considering going to AGM. Are AGM’s sized the same dimensions (ie group 24) ? Or can I get 1 big battery to fill the space? Mine says is designed for 2 group 24
Old 04-30-2022, 08:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post
So I shouldn’t have to hit the battery disconnect switch if things are working properly and it shouldn’t cook the batteries? I only have 1 good deep cycle now so considering going to AGM. Are AGM’s sized the same dimensions (ie group 24) ? Or can I get 1 big battery to fill the space? Mine says is designed for 2 group 24
IF the 2007 vintage converter charger working correctly, it won't cook the batteries. But you should take measurements to make sure. I believe your Cambria has a 12 volt power outlet next to dinette seating. If so you can get a digital DC voltage meter that will plug right into that outlet to see the voltage.

You can make sure the voltage is dropping to the 13.4 to 13.6 range when you are parked and plug in, if batteries are charged then that's what you should see.

If the voltage is right, then you don't have to check the electrolyte levels that often. I check my golf cart batteries about every 3 months. Usually they need a small amount of distilled water each time I check.

= = = = =

Yes you can get either AGM or Flooded Acid batteries in group 24 size. I'd want to have both the same kind and bought at same time and place for best results.

AGM have advantage of not needing to check and add distilled water. But you have to get GOOD AGM batteries and not the inexpensive imported ones that are lower quality.

Personally I have Costco "made by Interstate" Six Volt Golf Cart group 24 batteries that are great bang for the buck, that are still going strong 4 years after purchase.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all so much. This is so helpful. I checked the house battery today while plugged in. Read 13.55. You are correct there is a 12v cigarette adapter charger by the dinette. I have a digital smart multimeter but I don’t know how to test it. Where do I put the 2nd wire?
Old 05-01-2022, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post
You are correct there is a 12v cigarette adapter charger by the dinette. I have a digital smart multimeter but I don’t know how to test it. Where do I put the 2nd wire?
You don’t use the multimeter at the 12v adapter. He means he has one of those small volt meters that’s made to plug into a 12v outlet.

You would use the multimeter on your battery posts.

It is possible to use a multimeter on a 12v adapter but it difficult to do so and not cause a short. The red probe goes all the way to the back center of the outlet and the black probe goes anywhere on the inside sides of the outlet. But if the two probes touch bang, sparks! This is why you don’t want to do that.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

There are some really handy things aboutdigital that makes life easier. One is that when we deal with voltagewe really don't need to consider which probe goes where in most automotive /Rv checks as the voltage will rarely be reversered. So just get one probe on ground and one on battery and it willspit out a reading! Itmay tell you it is negative when it is truly positive but normally all you want is a level as getting your battery cables reversed will show up real quick and way before you get out the meter!

But for ease of use at a smallprice, I have several of these hanging here and there:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18216179245...IAAOSwvg9XVg24

I gave one to my daughter when she was having intrmit starting problems and shewas able to just leave it in the cig lighter and when she got into start it showed her battery voltage, so easy that she was able to sort the problem. She was working from home and parasitic drains were killing the battery when she didn't drive often enough!

Sounds like RV folks could find one handy? Nice to just open the door and turn on the key to check battery voltage? I finally hard wired two meters, one to coach and one to start, so that I could verify both batteries and that the mode solenoid was working, all without opening the battery compartment!

They are not terribly accurate but all we need to know is that the meter shows the same now as when things were good, so we can start to look if something is "off".
Kind of like red light/green light but with numbers?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote