Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2022, 11:19 AM   #1
RSA
Winnebago Watcher

Bedroom wall sconce lights no power

New-to-me 2002 Sunrise. Have memory of wall lights adjacent either side of bed working but not sure if the slide was in or already out at that time. Have traced the wiring to where both splice into 12 volt feed coming up exterior wall of slide on left side (facing bed). No sign of any wiring looking at bottom of slide from inside basement area. In storage area under mattress there is an AC junction box and a 2-wire 12 volt plug but 12 volt back-feeding either plug brings no power to lamps.

Wiring diagram

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_139931.pdf

sheet 8 shows lamps and junction plug (noted "connects to wire ASM Ext 2 HSG sheet 5 B4) but cannot fathom that location.

Any ideas or help how to understand wiring diagram lingo will be greatly appreciated.
RSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I see something that will likely be giving you trouble!

First is the way you are reading the sheet numbers as there is actually no sheet 8 on these drawings as they stop at seven!
This is something which we ran across recently on another posting so it is still fresh in mind.
I suspect the problem comes from looking at the page number given on your computer PDF file at the top? If that is correct, that is not the sheet number as built on the drawings, so if you look for a connection on a drawing, always go by the sheet number down in the lower right corner of each sheet!

When looking at page 8 of the PDF file at the top, we are actually on sheet five and then you can get started! In this case the info says this connection meets a plug on sheet five and about where "B" and "4" would cross as if reading a paper map using the numbers and letters at the edge of the drawing.

So to trace the path, you are actually staying on the same sheet but you first need to get on actual sheet five!
Check this snip and see if it helps to clear that point?

Then if you get into some of the larger drawings that cover many pages, think of the m being printed on paper that is too small to hold the full drawing sheet, so the edge labels will run way past the "D" and "8" like on this sheet but think of laying each sheet out in a line so that the number can go on past 8 and as far as they need to cover the full drawing?

The page numbering at the top is just confusion injected when we started using PDF files and computers. Much easier to lay sheets of paper out on the floor side by side if you have the room. When tracing really complex stuff with lots of paths, I have gotten down to having things laid out on the floor and to keep track of how far I had gottten, used things like post-it notes on small rocks to keep track!

A small point to help is the wiring identification chart which has a link on the wiring page but is often overlooked.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

On page five, you may have noted you have two wires, probably just battery and ground on this circuit but if you wanted to know more about them, the wires should be labeled and the chart tells you the "From" and "to" of that wire!

So on your lights, you can figure out which is battery and which is ground, so that you don't have to trace both paths but just the one which is not showing up there? JC is battery and that can let you go to the breaker panel drawing and find where circuit JC gets power! NC is ground, so don't forget to check it as good.

Hint on speeding up using the wire ID chart!
Bring the chart up and if you want wire XYZ, you will wear fingers out to scroll that far but if you hit "ctrl" and "F" at the same time, it brings a dropdwon with all the places in the chart where XYZ shows and then click on the up down arrows to fry straight through that dropdown list?

Good luck on the bug hunt and hope that clears some things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	182697   Click image for larger version

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	182698  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thought of one other big thing to pass along. When getting to the breaker panel on the drawing and you are looking at it from the front in the RV,keep in mind the drawing is backside, so mentally turn it around to find the correct breaker as top left in front is top right in back!!!

Then you get the info that it is a 14 gauge yellow wire and if you are looking from the front the breaker is the third in from the right or third in from the left if looking at the back, but the drawing will show the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker JC.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	182699  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, power