Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Onan 5500 gold dies

Hello all,
I just thought I’d post this in hopes it would help someone else.
I have a 2012 Winnebago, vista, 35f. It’s generator is an Onan, 5500 gold. I was experiencing the following. While stationary I could run it at least 1/2 hour (something I do monthly under load) with no issue. But every time i drove it with generator running it would die somewhere between point A and B. I reached out to forums here and general consensus was vapor locking. I insulated fuel
Lines before and after fuel pump all the way up to carburetor. Still had sand issue.
I reached out to Cummings. They said they suspected “hot air recirulation”. Hot air being sucked in triggering a high temperature failure. They said to take it to dealer.
Then I was told to do the following by a Fenton TN.
After a successful “exercising” of the geny, drain and measure amount of fuel in carburetor. I did-1.25 oz. Then take it in a test drive and if it fails repeat test to see how much less fuel was in carburetor. I did and there was NONE.
Replaced fuel pump and problem solved. It ran for 3 hour trip (forgot to stop it) with no failure.

Thanks to Kevin Caudill from TN for the big help!
Bruce
Gentracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan