Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

slides and jacks will not retract, help asap

2005 journey sitting in drive ready for a trip today, just pulled in yesterday all was ok. My slides and jacks will not retract. batteries are ok, can't find the fuse box but it makes a clicking sound so I assume they are ok? What should I do or where do I start? Help asap, thanks
asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Do you have the emergency brake on?
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes the brake is on.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I was under the mh and ask my wife to hit the retract button and it actually started to retract the sides, it scared her so she let go of the button, can't get it tit retract again, so I'm sure it is not the fuse?is there a clynoid I can hit on?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

asheville;

I had a similar problem last year only my slides were out. I was able to tap the motor with a hammer and it worked long enough to get the slides in. I replaced the motor and everything is fine now. David K had a similar problem . Look at his post 9/20 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/hwh-...led-57639.html. I hope I did this right. You can check the battery post on the motor with a voltage tester or a test light. Have someone try to lower the jacks. If you hear a click on one of the motor relays and there is power to the motor I believe it is bad. If you hear a relay click and no power to the motor you probably have a bad relay.

Good luck and report back on the solution to your problem.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

When our coach did that the shuttle valve was bad, HWH told me to loosen one of the hyd. lines and let the pressure off. I pulled the step up in the entry way and my pump and everything was right there. I don't think it makes any difference which line you loosen, just a line coming off the solenoid. I had to loosen a line every time I needed to bring something. That may not be your problem, but it is worth a try. Call HWH in the morning they will help.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheville View Post
2005 journey sitting in drive ready for a trip today, just pulled in yesterday all was ok. My slides and jacks will not retract. batteries are ok, can't find the fuse box but it makes a clicking sound so I assume they are ok? What should I do or where do I start? Help asap, thanks
the hwh jacks retract using the long springs only. the retract solenoid must be energized. you must have well over 12v. to energize the solenoids. 12v is considered 50% dead. try starting the engine, run it until the voltage indication is above 13v.
the slides require the retract solenoid to be energized AND the hydraulic pump motor to run. neither will happen if the voltage is below about 12.5v.
as another has posted, the parking brake must be set and the transmission must be in park. some systems work with the tranny in neutral.
there are procedures to manually retract the slides, but it is really a hassle.
from your symptoms, both the slides and the jacks don't work, i believe that low voltage is the probable cause of your troubles.
on my moho, the hwh system operates from the starting battery. another way to possibly boost starting battery voltage is to hold the battery boost switch energized while retracting the jacks and slides. this assumes that the house battery voltage is above 12.5 v.
the jacks draw approx. 40 amps to lower and the slides draw approx. 20 amps to run either way. this can drain a marginal battery quickly.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I had the same problem last week while setting up at our site in Vermont. The jacks went down, the bedroom slide went out then I put out the livingroom slide and it gradually slowed to a stop 3/4 out. All I got was click when I activated the switch, nothing worked. I contacted HWH they walked me through troubleshooting and deterrmined that there was voltage to the motor at all connections. The tech felt it was the motor that operates everything. I found a mobile mechanic through Coach Net he performed the same tests, he felt it was the motor, HWH overnighted a motor $189 + shipping 2 days later the motor was installed, so far all is working we are still in Vermont enjoying the colors,,,,,THERES ALWAYS SOMETHIN !!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

asheville,
Did you get a resolution to your problem yet? Hope so and you are on the road. I'm always interested in this type of problem for future reference to not only help myself but to have some possible solutions for helping others.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I know this is not an answer to your issues, but what about your oil level? I blew out a hose. The end blew out just driving down the highway. My Drivers side slide pop out at the bottom about 3 inches. Locks held all in place. With hose broken and no pressure not a thing would work. When I got to the repair shop (they were really helpful working hard to get me back on the road) they found the hose was 108" long and it wrapped back on its self twice with zip ties holding it on. They replaced it with a new hose about 1/2 this length and still had to zip tie it in. We all asked why Winnebago had the hose installed that was way to long for the job? Kind of weird, any idea?
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Most common problem causing this is a failed or failing pump solenoid. Good thing to carry as a spare.
I believe the current part# is Trombetta 684-1211-212. If you can get that w/the last 3 digits 012 you will get a better solenoid. Older units used a White Rogers pump solenoid which is a better made unit; don't have the part# on that or what year HWH switched.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I'm sure you know this, but the HWH system normally runs on the truck battery, not the motorhome batteries. Leave the engine running when you operate the system so the voltage will be as high as possible. It is also possible that one of the connectors is not making contact.

Good luck, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Look on the HWH site for the model# of your unit, or post it here and I'll search this out for you.. HWH has a great diagnostic page that will quickly tell you whats going on. If you haven't found it, up front right under the right front bumper is a weatherproofed logic board with a TON of LED's on it that can nail your issue quickly. it MAY be the solenoid, but just as easily could be the driver relay on the board feeding it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Same problem as Steve

Stevegd007
My son had exactly the same problem with our 38T. Initially he put in a shorter hose but after discussion and review of HWD schematic determined that the reason the hose was so long is that it MUST be3 the same length and size of another hose in the system to balance hydraulic quantities during operation. Is yours still operating properly and how long ago did you have the problem?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
Stevegd007
My son had exactly the same problem with our 38T. Initially he put in a shorter hose but after discussion and review of HWD schematic determined that the reason the hose was so long is that it MUST be3 the same length and size of another hose in the system to balance hydraulic quantities during operation. Is yours still operating properly and how long ago did you have the problem?
Having the hoses the same length doesn't make sense to me. When I raise up the left or right pair the coach raises up equally. The front jack hose is much shorter than the rear. Since HWH only activates jacks in pairs, each pair of jacks will see the same pressure. Keeping the hose diameter the same makes sense to keep the flow rates the same.

Am I missing something here????
Old 10-10-2009, 04:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Slide problem resolved

Sorry for the late posted reply, been on the road ever since I resolved the problem. Thanks for all the help, i had fixed it and hit the road before I saw any of the responses but most of you were correct it was electrical problem. Had my wife keep hitting the slide button while I looked for something to hit with a hammer( high tech) and I saw a small spark come from the solenoid, reached up and turned the nut with my finger, tightened the - wire nut and bingo everything works, thanks for all the help.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Having the hoses the same length doesn't make sense to me. When I raise up the left or right pair the coach raises up equally. The front jack hose is much shorter than the rear. Since HWH only activates jacks in pairs, each pair of jacks will see the same pressure. Keeping the hose diameter the same makes sense to keep the flow rates the same.

Am I missing something here????
I think the hose length issue only applies to the cylinders for the slide mechanisms, not the levelers. There is a synchronizing cylinder for the pair of slide cylinders to keep travel balanced.

from the HWH Op Manual:

IMPORTANT:
THE LINES (A1) BETWEEN THE CAP END OF THE HYDRAULIC CYLINDERS AND THE TEE
MUST BE THE SAME LENGTH AND DIAMETER.
THE LINES (B1) BETWEEN THE ROD END OF THE HYDRAULIC CYLINDERS AND THE SYNCHRONIZING

CYLINDER MUST BE THE SAME LENGTH AND DIAMETER. THE B1 LINES MUST BE HIGH PRESSURE HOSE.

HWH has all docs online and downloadable. Good reading.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

PaulT, sorry I just saw your post. I had the Winnebago service center replace the hose with a new one. The new hose is shorter by some, but it still is long and it loops around and is held in place by several zip ties. All systems are working OK. We are traveling, on the road, and using the systems. So we are happy with the results. Thanks for asking.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote