Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide misaligned

2014 WB Forza
When we bought our Forza we didn’t realize that the previous owner had left a light bar on top of the super slide.
While running the slide out the light bar got wedged between the top of the slide and the wall causing the slide to push out on the front end of the coach more than the rear end. So the slide is now positioned in the wall crooked.
We don’t want to make any attempt to realign without guidance.
Also I found a piece of gear, so apparently it’s bad enough to strip a gear.
I have looked around the slide for a place to manually move the slide and can find a place.

Any help is appreciated!
Katc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Recommend you call Winnebago tomorrow and see what they recommend. Yes - there's some things we've learned with our rigs through the years but given your description you've got to be careful not to make things worse.

Any chance you're near Forest City, IA or Eugene, OR? (Locations of WBGO Service Centers)
Old 06-08-2020, 10:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

In Texas, far away. Thanks!
Katc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:39 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Not sure but sounds like the same type of problem we had on our Adventurer about 3 yrs ago. Our largest slide got slightly out of alignment and about 6 teeth stripped off the pinion gear on a Lippert rack and pinion ram (2 large rams on the largest slide). The rack was OK. I managed to creep the slide back in, applying pressure to the external end of the wall on the broken end while my wife pressed the retraction button. We were able to set the locking mechanism for travel.

We made it fine to a shop who ordered a new pinion gear and ram. It seemed to be a relatively easy replacement- not too much effort on the service department's part- maybe 2 hours or so of work. Covered under warranty but it took a few weeks to get the new ram shipped in.

The only explanation I could get out of Lippert was that they probably had a batch of bad steel come in for the pinion gear (understatement?). Throughout the process of repairs I became more and more amazed at what was potentially a good design, but with lousy parts and workmanship from the factory.

I used to be intimidated by slide alignment on large ram slides. But I researched the dickens out of it gathering tech sheets everywhere I could and got the slide adjusted and aligned myself working with stop and alignment bolts on the ram system. I also found and repaired a sheered adjustment bolt that no one had seen in previous repairs that has been a major contributor to problems.The slide has been working well now for about 2 years.

I agree factory repairs are always the best, but I found that major dealerships/RV repair shops with qualified staff can pretty easily deal with ram and adjustment issues.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide