Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2023, 08:12 PM   #1
2018 22M

Shower Skylight Cover Help Please

Anyone know where I might find an Insulated Cushion for my shower skylight that will fit the 25.5 x 15.25 opening? All the skylight cushions I find seem to come in a standard size of 22x14, which would just drop out of mine.

I saw some DIY ideas on another forum, yet I'd like one of the cushions like I have on my smaller square vents to simply push in and take out. In my last Winnie I made a 'black out' cover using extreme outdoor velcro and black light block fabric to cover my shower skylight, as I don't always want that much light. It worked great, but was very time consuming to get the cover separated from the velcro whenever I wanted light.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows of an option for me. Thanks!
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 03:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I do not know if this would work for your application. For my normal exhaust vents I used styrofoam. I cut the styorfoam to size and wrapped the edges with the silver tape. Its easy to remove and put back up.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Team

Another material from which you could custom-cut your own insulating cover could be Foam Padding.
Eagle5
Old 12-31-2023, 12:31 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

You may find interest in this custom shower cover I made.

https://vimeo.com/703124268/605bc1f387
Old 12-31-2023, 03:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
You may find interest in this custom shower cover I made.

https://vimeo.com/703124268/605bc1f387
That is super-nice; I like it!
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 01-07-2024, 04:22 PM   #6
Boondocker

This could work for you, if the skylight panel isn't flush with the ceiling... if you have a vertical space below the skylight plastic. I found the shower skylight to be the same size as the window in the coach door, so I bought one of those window reflectors on Amazon and spray-glued it to a piece of 4" foam rubber, cut to fit. Reflector upside in the summer, bottom in the cooler weather. If you cut the foam slightly large, it will stay in the skylight opening by friction.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I used a product called Reflectix for making window coverings for use in our Minnie Winnie. It's about a quarter inch thick with silver mylar on both surfaces. We use ours when we're camped out in hot sunny weather, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for cold weather too.

For our cab windows I cut them just a whisker oversize so they would be a friction fit. For the coach windows I cut them about 3/4 inch over on all sides to hold them in place with Velcro spots.

One method or the other should work on your shower skylight. You should be able to add layers of Reflectix if you feel one is not enough.

I bought my Reflectix at Home Depot but I think Lowes carries it too. It comes in two widths, 24" and 48" and I think the length is 10 feet for each. Don't remember the prices. They're not especially cheap but not super expensive either. We found several other uses for the stuff besides window covering, such as lining the pantry to keep out some of the heat of the desert southwest.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you want something that looks good, get one custom-made at a boat upholstery shop.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, shower