Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2023, 01:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sealing roof seams

So I am wondering if anyone could recommend a product for the roof of my dads 2006 Winniebago View 24' built on a sprinter 3500 chassis. I believe the roof is fiberglass glass roof but have been also been told it could be a rubber roof. Not sure. I know this sounds like kinda a dumb question but is there options for either or and Im curious about products to seal the roof. Skylight is currently showing water stains on the interior

Thanks in advance

Calvin
Old 08-03-2023, 02:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Remove most of the existing caulking after scrubbing the roof good and clean, without damaging the roof covering material. Allow to dry. It might take some spot cleaning where you removed the old caulking and exposed dirt. On horizontal surfaces, I would use Dicor self-leveling sealant around the skylight and other roof penetrations, plus the seams.

Then I would paint the entire roof with a quality roof sealant. Others will join in with their experiences.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much for the info i will start with that
Old 08-03-2023, 05:00 PM   #4
Site Team

I would NOT recommed Dicor self-leveling sealent. I'm not sure why RayIN suggested it.

Winnebago uses Silicone based sealants and no amount of cleaning will remove the slippery part of Silicone from your roof or the existing skylight. Dicor is NOT silicone and it will go on fine and perhaps even look fine, but it will not stick to anyplace that has previously been sealed with Silicone sealant.

Lucky for you, Winnebago publishes a Sealant guide for your year and model. But basically, any 100% Silicone sealant will work. But for jobs like this you want self leveling silicone sealant.

Here's a link to the 2006 View Sealant Guide:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...00_sealant.pdf

Here's what Winnebago suggests Hengs 311 or NuFlex 311. Geocell also works.

https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-95502-N.../dp/B07L3KSG59

Likewise I would not "paint" my roof with Sealant of any kind. But you get to do you.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thankfully there is a very good silicone sealant remover that removes all traces of silicone. I think if you poll the members you'll find Dicor sealants are respected and widely used.
FWIW, my MH still has the OEM sealant of the roof and around skylights, etc. It is Dicor self-leveling sealant. Been holding firm for 23 years so far.
If you wish to use a silicone sealant, don''t buy the cheapest tube on the shelf. You want a quality NEUTRAL CURE silicone sealant. When buying silicone sealant you really do get what your pay for..
https://www.bestmaterials.com/search...ategoryid=1214
edited to add;
You might find this thread interesting reading too: https://www.rvforum.net/threads/does...terior.146041/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 03:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Thankfully there is a very good silicone sealant remover that removes all traces of silicone. I think if you poll the members you'll find Dicor sealants are respected and widely used.
I'm not trying to argue, honest Ray. But this has been fully tested and proven to NOT be the sealant to use. I agree it goes on nice, looks fine and seems to be doing it's job - but, it doesn't stick and can be lifted off.

Here's just one opinion that most of us here trust - though there are many others:

Old 08-05-2023, 07:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys for the info. My research is showing that the original sealant is a silicone base and i found the part number if anyone ever wants it. 141514-01-000.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Can anyone help me find the TYPE "C" sealant By Winniebago 131264-01-02A.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:34 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin123 View Post
Can anyone help me find the TYPE "C" sealant By Winniebago 131264-01-02A.
That’s white Nuco 311 or Hengs 311 or really any self-leveling Silicone sealant.

https://winnebagoparts.com/self-leveling-silicone-pair/
Old 08-11-2023, 12:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Al, Winnebago New-B here.
I just replace the solar panel on my Solis Pocket. I had to remove the brackets that were obviously sealed to the roof.
I decided it was best to follow two best practices:
1. Remove all the old sealer and thoroughly clean the area (silicon or not). In my case I used mineral spirits but you need to explore and make sure it won't damage the surface material you are working with.
2. Use the manufacturers recommended sealant. There are too many conflicting opinions out there. If was good for Winnebago it's good for me.
JandK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal