Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-04-2023, 08:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Automatic step retraction question

Is there a way to lock the steps in?

There is a switch to lock them out, but I would like to be able to lock them in for a couple of reasons. First, when working on the batteries it would be easier to stand on the ground next to the door with the steps in. Second, I have been considering using some external steps and don't want to remove the existing steps.

I think this would be a general question, but my MH is a 2011 Vista 36D.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There is a magnetic reed switch mounted nest to the door which controls step movement. There is a magnet on the moving portion of the door, so we can trick the steps into thinking the door is closed if we place a small magnet on the reed switch!

I've never tried it but logic says one might also trick the controls if we added a strap between the two wires of the switch. the question there is whether the reed opens or closes contacts when the door is opened? I suspect the door open closes contacts but never tried it as my use was always for short term like wanting the steps in while working in the battery compartment under the inside steps!

A couple notes on things I've found? Don't use a super strong magnet to fake it as the reed is very weak and too much magnet can warp it, making it funky to operate!
Also if you are working in front of the steps, bumping the magnet off the switch will likely get your shins banged, so be alert!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
Site Team

I use that magnetic step switch. I turn the steps "on" so that they go in and out with the door opening and closing. Then I put a magnet on the reed switch and the steps think the door is closed and fold in. Just leave the magnet there as long as you want the steps to stay in.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You are correct Richard, a well placed magnet will keep the steps in, but it must be secure, if it falls off your shins are gonna take a beating when it opens onto you
Old 12-04-2023, 10:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

That magnet trick depends on if your reed switch is NO or NC. IMO it is more sure to just splice in a small off/on switch on one of the two reed switch wires. That eliminates the type switch and a magnet falling away.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

But if one is looking for longer term stopping the steps, one way would be to pull one or more of these breakers?
Click image for larger version

Name:	step.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	188016

Outside the driver's side and a few feet back from front along with mode solenoid and disconnect relay?
Old 12-04-2023, 11:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

A 2011 should be able to made to stay in with no magnets, switches, or breakers.

The "auto extend" feature makes it seems like they won't stay in, as they'll extend once after an ignition cycle with the switch off. It's described in the manual (including one from 2011 I found online).

To make mine stay in I open the door with the stairs "on" (from outside) stairs come out. I close the screen door, steps go in. I reach in through the handle opening flip the switch to "off". They stay in when I open the door.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 03:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
A 2011 should be able to made to stay in with no magnets, switches, or breakers.

The "auto extend" feature makes it seems like they won't stay in, as they'll extend once after an ignition cycle with the switch off. It's described in the manual (including one from 2011 I found online).

To make mine stay in I open the door with the stairs "on" (from outside) stairs come out. I close the screen door, steps go in. I reach in through the handle opening flip the switch to "off". They stay in when I open the door.
I will try this as it is the simplest to do.
Old 12-04-2023, 03:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I tried this and it kept the steps out, not in. I think maybe if I put the switch in between a wire connecting the two posts it might work. I hope tferonne's method works though because it doesn't require any modification.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

That does sound like a simple way to go but I suspect there are not many working that way! One problem with doing that is it leaves them open to letting you have the steps in and shut down.
That would allow you to open the door and step out with no step, so big liability there.
I have no doubt that it works as reported as there are tons of different step models to sort and lots of small differences.
Those I have had all seem nearly neurotic on the steps flying out, if I did not trick them!
Old 12-10-2023, 08:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasrules View Post
Is there a way to lock the steps in?

There is a switch to lock them out, but I would like to be able to lock them in for a couple of reasons. First, when working on the batteries it would be easier to stand on the ground next to the door with the steps in. Second, I have been considering using some external steps and don't want to remove the existing steps.

I think this would be a general question, but my MH is a 2011 Vista 36D.
If you want to permanently disable the steps, just unplug the connection to the motor under the steps. Cover the connections with tape to keep them clean in case you want to re-enable them in the future.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:44 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I keep a magnet stuck on the wall on the hinge side of the door, and I tape it over the switch with a strip of Gorilla tape. Keeps the steps in and out of my way when I need to work on the battery compartment.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post

I also do it that way. I've had people tell me that can't be done, but that's OK, I'll continue anyway..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

It shouldn't be this hard to figure out.
if I want my stairs to stay in I turn the switch on and close the door and the steps come in, then I turn the switch off.

If I want the stairs to stay out I turn the stairs on and open the door, when they come out I turn the switch off.
Rule of thumb, get the steps where you want them and turn the "power" off...
dick
Old 12-10-2023, 04:36 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That magnet trick depends on if your reed switch is NO or NC. IMO it is more sure to just splice in a small off/on switch on one of the two reed switch wires. That eliminates the type switch and a magnet falling away.
I wired a second switch into the reed switch wire. Most of the time I just leave it in the off position. When I want to keep them in I turn it “ON”. This has been most useful when pulling close to a curb.
Wilmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 07:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

With the door closed, crawl under and disconnect the wires from the stair motor.
Rixthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote