Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2024, 09:36 PM   #1
Site Team

Aged LP Alarm sold as new

My SAFE-T-ALERT 30-442-P LP Gas Alarm five-year-end-of-life alert started to sound. While the Eagle5 is only four years old, the originally installed alarm was five years and three months from the stamped date-of-manufacture. I ordered a replacement unit on Amazon, and when it arrived, its date-of-manufacture was 5-31-2022, so I only have 67% of its life remaining.
As my original detector was one year and three months old upon installation, and my replacement detector was one year and eight months upon installation, I guess "new" is now a relative term.
FYI; Eagle5
P.S. The date-of-manufacture is stamped on the back of the detector, and cannot be seen without opening-up the blister packaging.
Click image for larger version

Name:	71Ob4XBM6yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	188291
Old 01-28-2024, 09:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
My SAFE-T-ALERT 30-442-P LP Gas Alarm five-year-end-of-life alert started to sound. While the Eagle5 is only four years old, the originally installed alarm was five years and three months from the stamped date-of-manufacture. I ordered a replacement unit on Amazon, and when it arrived, its date-of-manufacture was 5-31-2022, so I only have 67% of its life remaining.
As my original detector was one year and three months old upon installation, and my replacement detector was one year and eight months upon installation, I guess "new" is now a relative term.
FYI; Eagle5
P.S. The date-of-manufacture is stamped on the back of the detector, and cannot be seen without opening-up the blister packaging.
Attachment 188291
Thanks for the heads up. We bought our Minnie Winnie from a rental dealer five years ago and pretty much right on cue both the CO and propane detectors started chirping a couple months ago.

I was about to order replacements from Amazon. Now I'll be sure to check their date of manufacture before I install them.

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2024, 09:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi akeagle,
Yes, it might be a good item to purchase in-person from a dealership where you can check the date before you buy.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 01-29-2024, 12:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi akeagle,
Yes, it might be a good item to purchase in-person from a dealership where you can check the date before you buy.
Thanks, Eagle5
I would avail myself of Amazon's free 30-day return policy and leave a review of the seller, noting the circumstances requiring the return.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I would avail myself of Amazon's free 30-day return policy and leave a review of the seller, noting the circumstances requiring the return.
Or at least leave a review about it. I always read the low-star reviews first, even if it is a highly-rated item.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Same device, same problem. My alarm started chirping this month, I ordered a new one from Amazon. It was delivered Saturday, Jan 27 and I called MTI yesterday. I was told the 5 year replacement period started upon installation, not on the date stamped on the alarm. I downloaded the manual and found this quote "From your website (https://www.mtiindustries.com/wp-con...ies-Manual.pdf) - "Replace this SAFE-T-ALERTTM propane alarm within 5 years, of the production date on the back of the alarm. They agreed to send me another alarm with a recent date.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:55 PM   #7
Dream Big, Work Smart !

Interesting Topic.

On my 2003 beast, I found a Wire Crimp join I assumed had pulled Out from contents in the Cupboard !

So I soldered the wires back together & the Green light came back on & stays on.
There is No Chirping Noise

Does anyone know how to Test?
As am wondering should I test it by de-cantering a small amount of Gas into the Cupboard & around the Sensor ?
Old 02-04-2024, 07:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raptor View Post
Interesting Topic.

On my 2003 beast, I found a Wire Crimp join I assumed had pulled Out from contents in the Cupboard !

So I soldered the wires back together & the Green light came back on & stays on.
There is No Chirping Noise

Does anyone know how to Test?
As am wondering should I test it by de-cantering a small amount of Gas into the Cupboard & around the Sensor ?
Got a cigarette lighter or fire starter, flip the igniter slowly next to the sensor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I just bought replacement propane and CO detectors from an RV dealer in Las Cruces. They were more expensive than on Amazon, one considerably so, but I'm confident I have good ones, much like the old ones.

One was manufactured in August of last year and the other was made in September. I've always hated the phrase, "Close enough for government work", but this time I'm ok with it.

By the way, the only CO only detectors I could find were the less expensive kind, but I wanted a good one. The new one is a combination propane and CO detector. Now we will be double protected against a propane leak!
Old 02-05-2024, 04:49 AM   #10
Dream Big, Work Smart !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Got a cigarette lighter or fire starter, flip the igniter slowly next to the sensor.
I tried that and nothing happened.
However a short time later I saw a Cockroach in the Cupboard & Sprayed it, and then the Alarm Screamed & the Red light came on !

I had to press the reset button a few times and fan the door to air the cupboard out.

So, I assume it is working !
Old 02-05-2024, 08:00 AM   #11
2016 View 24J Profile

Just a thought..

The aerosol spray that is used to kill cockroaches contains pyrethrum which is far more harmful to your health than you may think. I would suggest finding a less volatile and harmful alternative than this especially in the enclosed environment of your closet and camper.
…just my opinion
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 01:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Why can't they make them 5 years from the date it's put into service? On another note, I ordered a new serpentine belt because Mercedes recommends replacing every 4 years and the new one was already 3 years old when I received it!
Old 02-06-2024, 03:50 PM   #13
Bill 37F

I bought this sensor and fix it. It has lasted for a year but I don't have any idea how much longer it will last. If you are a tinkerer like me it might be worth a try.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204577025932
Old 02-06-2024, 08:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Why can't they make them 5 years from the date it's put into service? On another note, I ordered a new serpentine belt because Mercedes recommends replacing every 4 years and the new one was already 3 years old when I received it!
The chip in the detectors has no idea what the date is, only the date of manufacture.

Tags
sold