Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2024, 09:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2000 Adventurer Dog House Removal?

For some reason no matter what I try I cannot get the latch released in the cab, is there a technique or special tool I require?
BillSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You need a big allen key that should have come with the RV in the info pack but any will do it if you find the right size. Idea is simple to stick key in and turn counter clock to unlatch?
Problem can be that they can stick or get rusty, so it may help to ride down heavy on the top of the dog house while trying to turn. that can make the hook fit a little less tight on the stud it grips?
In worst case one might be able to see it from underneath and get close enough to get some WD40 on it. Bad idea though as it is likely to be on top of the transmission!
What parts might look like and part numbers if ordered direct but I see it on Amazon as well for the key. 1/4 or 5/16 maybe??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latch.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	188610  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sometimes the rubber seal sticks. Once the latch is released, use the long allen wrench as a handle to lift the cover. Everyone will not agree using the wrench as a lift handle. But I did.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:32 PM   #4
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Two screws?

Not sure if yours has this but my 2008 has two screws on either side up front.

I put an Allen key and screw driver in an easy to reach spot so if I need quick access I can get the dog house off.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

They may have solved it by now but part of the questions may be how it is giving them trouble.
Is it the latch doesn't turn as if it is stuck, rusted, etc. or is it that the body doesn't want to move off the floor after the latch turns?

There are times when I have found them just stuck down, even after the latch released. I've gone as far as forcing a wonder bar under the edge and gently rocking it until it pops loose. Cleaning the track of all the years of rust and garbage, with a ton of WD-40 seemed to make it easier the next time!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, removal, vent