Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How to remove dog house on Vista/Sunstar.

I have a need to remove the engine dog house cover on my 2017 sunstar 29VE. I found 2 screws at the front of the dog house. I would assume I should remove those 2 screws to release it. Or is some other way to do it?
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There are the two screws as you mentioned, but there is also an latch at the center of the aft side of the cover. It takes an Allen wrench, and needs to be turned 1/4 a turn, and the whole is usually hidden in the carpet, and you have to look for a bit for it.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
There are the two screws as you mentioned, but there is also an latch at the center of the aft side of the cover. It takes an Allen wrench, and needs to be turned 1/4 a turn, and the whole is usually hidden in the carpet, and you have to look for a bit for it.

I had to look for quite a bit to find that rascal on ours. As it turned out - it's not really in the center of the rear vertical section. It was actually off-center towards the passenger seat.

Its location is now marked by a "color coordinating sharpie". The wife gave me "that look" when she noticed it.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You guys are great! You have just save me time and more importantly frustration.
One more question, once it is loose, does it slide back, or just come straight up?
Is it hard to put back on?
I know, that's 2 questions.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just removed my doghouse to install the Dynatmat. I too could not find the latch hole at first. so I just peeled back bit of carpet and voila the hole is more or less where the manual said it would be, but hidden amongst the hideous shag carpeting.
WineLuvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

By the way Wineluvers, where did you get your Dynatmatand + how do you like it? Been thinking of doing the same.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Adven View Post
By the way Wineluvers, where did you get your Dynatmatand + how do you like it? Been thinking of doing the same.
I am not he (but I do like wine).
I got my Dynamat from Amazon (of course).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It made a very noticeable difference in both sound and heat through the doghouse.
I also did what I could reach on the firewall, and also under the front seats (from below the coach, then covered that with plastic to keep it dry on wet roads).

When I replaced the floor covering in the cockpit area I put some of this under the new floor
That (and possibly the new floor covering) made a BIG difference in how warm the floor gets when running down the road.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
Site Team

I just insulated with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought it worked pretty well. I ended up with 2 pieces left over after getting a layer on the underside of the doghouse. It was easy to cut with a pair of scissors or my utility knife. It made quite a difference.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2019 Winnebago VISTA 32ye. Found the hole for allen wrench, but not finding the fabled 2 screws. Document says: Remove the screws on the lower front corners on each side of engine cover. HELP - not able to find these 2. Any pointers?

The BigBed
2019 Winnebago Vista 32ye - and this 2017 Jeep keeps following us
TheBigBed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

The 2 screws are on the sides in the lower front corners of the doghouse sides as stated, if you have the low pile shag carpet you may not see them but should be able to feel them with your fingers.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I am not he (but I do like wine).
I got my Dynamat from Amazon (of course).

It made a very noticeable difference in both sound and heat through the doghouse.
I also did what I could reach on the firewall, and also under the front seats (from below the coach, then covered that with plastic to keep it dry on wet roads).

When I replaced the floor covering in the cockpit area I put some of this under the new floor
That (and possibly the new floor covering) made a BIG difference in how warm the floor gets when running down the road.
Did you only need one roll of the sound proofing and what did you use to stick it down with? Also did you have to remove any original stuff if there was any? Thanks
MinnieKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Get yourself a strong magnet. That should help to locate the screws.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
The 2 screws are on the sides in the lower front corners of the doghouse sides as stated, if you have the low pile shag carpet you may not see them but should be able to feel them with your fingers.
Thanks for help. I started with using stud finder and strong magnet - did not work.
Changed to probing with dental scrapping tool - still no luck. So I just pulled up a small section of carpet and did not find any screws. So I just pulled up on front of cover. It released. There are not screws in my 2019 Winnebago VISA 32ye.
TheBigBed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:32 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
You guys are great! You have just save me time and more importantly frustration.
One more question, once it is loose, does it slide back, or just come straight up?
Is it hard to put back on?
I know, that's 2 questions.
I have a different model, but I too was missing the two screws, they just weren’t there.

The Allen wrench spot in mine too was off center, and hard to engage with the Allen wrench once I found it.

The doghouse slid back and up, and off, and goes back the same way (in reverse).
Old 03-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Making progress, folks, thank you.
Found the hole in the doghouse and I've stuck a lot of allen wrenches in there without making engagement. Any body remember what size fit the latch? I have exhausted my fractional sizes, going to start metric now.
Chuck
ChckNDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

It WAS metric! On mine at least, the 8mm allen wrench fit. I'll just leave it there so the shop worker won't spend time (dollars) going through it all.
Thank you all so very much. I appreciate the community of support.
Chuck
ChckNDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:11 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

5/16ths, and at least 6" long