Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-13-2022, 07:01 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

TPMS Battery Life

I have an EEZTire TPMS system that works ok, but is disappointing in so many ways. As I prep for my first trip of the season, I found that 3 of my 4 sensor batteries are dead. The TPMS was new last summer so this is their first ride through a Minnesota winter.

The manual is very vague about the batteries, but thankfully they are easily replaceable. For some reason I was thinking the sensors would go very easy on the batteries when not in motion, but I suppose that can't be or the system wouldn't show tire pressure when I'm parked. The manual says the sensors work when under pressure, so I believe the implication is that I should remove them during extended periods of non-use.

I'm unsure if this is unique to EEZTire or typical. What do you guys do? Batteries aren't that expensive and I can easily buy in a 10 pack (like buns -- 4 tires, 10 batteries at a time ), but replacing is yet another annoying thing. And if this happens every year, I may as well remove them for the winter since I need to do that to replace the batteries anyway.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:43 AM   #2
Site Team

I have the same TPMS system and get about one year out of the batteries on the sensors. But we use the RV on and off all year. July and August are the main storage months for us. Be sure the batteries you buy are fresh. They lose a bit of power just sitting in the packaging.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

When I park the Journey for a long period of time I remove the sensors and use masking tape to mark which wheel the came from so I can put them back on the proper wheel.

When removed the batteries are then dormant until you reinstall them.

I also carry a number of extra batteries so I can replace them when needed.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I see this as a bit of the shopping and design questions.
You have a situation that is kind of like your cell phone power. It goes tosleep when not used and wakes when you tell it. So the better designed TPMS can do the same thing but that also means a bitmore electronics and design work which may not happen in the lower price range.

My TPMS system did not give me readings until I woke it after each time it shut down. The sensors did not send full time but only when they received a query from the head unit. When the head unit was not awake, the sensors did not use battery as they were also "asleep".

I got lucky on my TPMS shopping as there is no way that I know of to get that level of detail when shopping and price doesn't always mean you are getting more! I went with the fully sealed sensor that did not have replaceable batteries due to a brother who had massive trouble with water getting in his battery compartments.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a 6-sensor EEZ RV TPMS system. The sensors take 1 1632 battery each.

We purchased and installed ours around February 1st and by the fall several of the sensors failed due to dead batteries. The vendor claims 2-year life for the batteries. I called them to squawk and see if they would offer to send a free set of replacement batteries but they didn't.

I see cheap 1632 batteries on Amazon for about $2 each, typically with a lot of bad reviews.

Walmart and similar stores typically sell a single 1632 for around $5.

The best deal I've found is Eveready 1632 batteries for around $1 each at Buc-ees. I think they were $0.99 the first time I bought them and perhaps $1.29 the last time.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:58 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, I ordered a 10-pack of what I assume will be junker batteries. I needed them quick for my upcoming trip. It'll be interesting to see if they die more quickly or not. I suppose I could start removing the sensors each time I get home, but what a pita that is .

Speaking of pita, the other beef I have with the unit is the range. My setup is fairly small with only 25ft from tires to my front seat. Nope...the "50ft" range in the advertising isn't enough. And I am sure it is electronic interference. I tossed the head unit in the back seat (with some words) and found it worked fine there. So that was my solution. I decided I was not going to pour more money into it. My wife can reach it and look if it starts beeping.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Booster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
Yeah, I ordered a 10-pack of what I assume will be junker batteries. I needed them quick for my upcoming trip. It'll be interesting to see if they die more quickly or not. I suppose I could start removing the sensors each time I get home, but what a pita that is .

Speaking of pita, the other beef I have with the unit is the range. My setup is fairly small with only 25ft from tires to my front seat. Nope...the "50ft" range in the advertising isn't enough. And I am sure it is electronic interference. I tossed the head unit in the back seat (with some words) and found it worked fine there. So that was my solution. I decided I was not going to pour more money into it. My wife can reach it and look if it starts beeping.
Our ERA is only 24 feet long, haven't had any problems with the range from the rear (4) tires. I think the vendor sells a booster device that may be necessary for a longer motorhome or a towed trailer / vehicle / etc.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:34 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I pull our sensors when we put our MM away for the winter and install new batteries in the spring before our first trip. I found the sensor batteries will last one season but not quite two seasons. I figure new batteries are cheap insurance based on the destruction that could take place if you don't realize a tire is going down and starts to come apart.

We have an older TireMinder TPMS and two years ago started getting false alarms, I found out the booster had quit working. Once I replaced the booster, no more false alarms.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Our Adventurer is 37' long and my EEZTire works fine and mostly stays connected all the time. I have one inner dual with a recalcitrant flexible valve stem and it's always difficult to read air pressure or even to add air. So, when the EEZTire loses that tire intermittently I always chalk it up to the valve stem.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:41 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Here's a mystery. My new batteries arrived and I installed them. The old batteries measured 0.45v - 0.72v. Pretty dead. Except for the one that was still working. It measured 2.95v. What the heck? I replaced it anyway, but seems real odd this particular sensor didn't drain the battery. I want more of those! And yes, it was reading pressure just fine.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:28 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I replaced my batteries last year only because they were three and a half years old. I guess I believed all of the "one to two year" stuff, but the batteries I took out were all still working and still good. I also have four on my trailer and have never had an issue with the EEz reading them. My Vista is 28' and it's a 16' trailer with a 4' tongue, so from the driver window where the EEz is mounted to the back off-side trailer tire sensor is at probably about 35'. I have never removed the sensors other than to adjust pressure, and I replaced the batteries last year when I took them off to get new tires put on.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I see this as a bit of the shopping and design questions.
You have a situation that is kind of like your cell phone power. It goes tosleep when not used and wakes when you tell it. So the better designed TPMS can do the same thing but that also means a bitmore electronics and design work which may not happen in the lower price range.

My TPMS system did not give me readings until I woke it after each time it shut down. The sensors did not send full time but only when they received a query from the head unit. When the head unit was not awake, the sensors did not use battery as they were also "asleep".

I got lucky on my TPMS shopping as there is no way that I know of to get that level of detail when shopping and price doesn't always mean you are getting more! I went with the fully sealed sensor that did not have replaceable batteries due to a brother who had massive trouble with water getting in his battery compartments.
Inquiring minds want to know, what system do you have?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

My question is, if you remove the sensor battery to replace it, do you then have to reprogram the head unit to show what tire that particular sensor it is on? Or does it maintain its location programming connection?
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:22 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
does it maintain its location programming connection?
It always has in my experience. But it's important to put it back in it's original tire position.

I open the battery pack. Take the battery to the wheel, remove the sensor, open the sensor, push out the old battery, but the new one in and put the sensor back on the tire. So, it's off the tire only a short period of time.

I have no knowledge if you remove the sensor for a few hours if it maintains the programming. But for this short time it certainly does.
Old 04-17-2022, 04:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much! Great info!
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:15 PM   #16
2014 Access Premier 26QP

I have had my EEZ system for 6 or 8 years. I replace the batteries after 3 years and have never had one go dead while driving. I make sure to turn off the receiver when not driving. I remove the sensors for the winter and store them inside without removing the batteries. Make sure to buy good batteries Energizer.
jimgossett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:42 AM   #17
Minnie Winnie 26A

I have the same EEZE TPMS system. 28 foot class C towing Jeep, all ten toes on system. I changed batteries in April of 2020. Just replaced the Jeeps today as two were giving sporadic readings. That's 2 years of use. Very pleased. Used these batteries both times, bought on Amazon for less than a buck a battery. LiCB 10 Pack CR1632 3V Lithium... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797PLSV4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:20 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
I have an EEZTire TPMS system that works ok, but is disappointing in so many ways. As I prep for my first trip of the season, I found that 3 of my 4 sensor batteries are dead. The TPMS was new last summer so this is their first ride through a Minnesota winter.

The manual is very vague about the batteries, but thankfully they are easily replaceable. For some reason I was thinking the sensors would go very easy on the batteries when not in motion, but I suppose that can't be or the system wouldn't show tire pressure when I'm parked. The manual says the sensors work when under pressure, so I believe the implication is that I should remove them during extended periods of non-use.

I'm unsure if this is unique to EEZTire or typical. What do you guys do? Batteries aren't that expensive and I can easily buy in a 10 pack (like buns -- 4 tires, 10 batteries at a time ), but replacing is yet another annoying thing. And if this happens every year, I may as well remove them for the winter since I need to do that to replace the batteries anyway.
I hope I'm not to abrupt for you here but, there are much more important concerns that arise for most RVers when prepping to roll out on the first trip of the season.
Consider changing the batteries on an annual basis as a routine like draining the hot water tank, exercising the circuit breakers or running the generator.
A greater aggravation might be rodents in the bays or engine compartment doing damage, a water pump malfunction or propane regulator failure.
The EEZ system has been my friend for many years now. The TLC I give it once a year by changing the 6 batteries is not a big deal. If you need to, just put on your favorite music to calm your nerves as you do this little task.
Happy and safe trails.
Rick Y
Old 04-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Sensor Programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It always has in my experience. But it's important to put it back in it's original tire position.

I open the battery pack. Take the battery to the wheel, remove the sensor, open the sensor, push out the old battery, but the new one in and put the sensor back on the tire. So, it's off the tire only a short period of time.

I have no knowledge if you remove the sensor for a few hours if it maintains the programming. But for this short time it certainly does.
I have used the same system for 8 years with few issues. We remove the Toad sensors for months at a time when not used and it remembers the tire position and programming. I engraved the numbers on the sensors.

Batteries last 12-18 months. I drive an Adventurer with a toad so the rear sensor is distant. I originally had a range problem when I placed the display on the drivers side window. There is a lot of metal there screening the receiver so moving it to the center of the dash solved the problem.

Each time I change the batteries I measure the voltage. New batteries are 3.27 to 3.29. I change at 2.997 to 3.010 after 12 to 18 months.
Keith H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
When I park the Journey for a long period of time I remove the sensors and use masking tape to mark which wheel the came from so I can put them back on the proper wheel.

When removed the batteries are then dormant until you reinstall them.

I also carry a number of extra batteries so I can replace them when needed.
Good plan, and exactly what TST brand recommends.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery