Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Newb: How to determine weight rating for a weight distribution hitch?

Hello. I'm new to RV'ing and the Winnie forums - very impressed with the quality of discussions!

I have a 2020 Toyota Tundra Double with a Micro Minnie 2100 BH. How do you figure out which WDH weight rating to go with when you may tow heavy (cargo, passengers, water, grey + black water) on one trip and light on another trip?

I have read that using a WDH that is over rated (weight) can cause your trailer to jump - underrated might not do enough good?

Based on the weights of my Tundra + MM2100, I was thinking 6,000# rating would be the sweet spot. But then, I haven't even towed the thing yet so this is purely textbook / guestimate.

Any feedback would be helpful! Thanks!
jasonarnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Jason. There are a lot of things associated with towing. Knowing which WDH you will need requires you to know what your tongue weight is. You mentioned when it’s “heavy”, you will need to weigh it heavy. For example. I have a blue ox that is rated for 750. My current tongue weight will fluctuate between 680 to 720. I can easily go to 800 if I am not careful with my loading. Your MM hitch weight of 430 “dry” but have a GVWR of 5500lbs assuming max trailer weight with a heavy tongue off 15%, you hitch weight would be 825lbs. Unfortunately I’m at the “transition” point with my WDH. There might be a WDH that has a better weight range. Besides that. Take in consideration payload. Heavier the tongue more payload is added to the truck. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

WDHs are rated by tongue weight, not gross trailer weight. Don't rely on manufacturer's specifications for tongue weight. it can be wildly different depending on how you load your trailer.

The simplest is to take your rig to a truck scale, like the Cat Scale. Weight the trailer with just its wheels on the scale, then unhook and weigh it with the wheels and tongue jack supporting it. The difference will be the tongue weight.

So if your rig weighs 6,200 lbs with just the trailer wheels sitting on the scale, and 7,000 lbs with the wheels and tongue jack on it then your hitch weight is 800 lbs. (a little less because the tongue jack is a few inches behind the hitch). Pick a WDH with a similar rating.

David
Old 02-07-2022, 07:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

IIRC, the hitch head, ball, and shank that I bought were all good to 1200 lbs (tongue) and 12000 lbs (trailer weight). I used spring bars rated for an 800 lb tongue weight. I had an F-350 with a 2100BH. I probably could have used spring bars rated for 650, but the 800 worked fine.

If you ever do visit a CAT scale (I’m sure you will), just weigh the truck and trailer together (front axle of truck on one scale, rear axle on another, and the trailer axles on the third). Then go park your trailer someplace and come right back and weigh the truck again. The difference with/without trailer will be the total trailer weight. The difference in the sum of the truck axle weights with/without trailer will give you the tongue weight. This way you don’t tie up the scale.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:55 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonarnone View Post
Hello. I'm new to RV'ing and the Winnie forums - very impressed with the quality of discussions!

I have a 2020 Toyota Tundra Double with a Micro Minnie 2100 BH. How do you figure out which WDH weight rating to go with when you may tow heavy (cargo, passengers, water, grey + black water) on one trip and light on another trip?

I have read that using a WDH that is over rated (weight) can cause your trailer to jump - underrated might not do enough good?

Based on the weights of my Tundra + MM2100, I was thinking 6,000# rating would be the sweet spot. But then, I haven't even towed the thing yet so this is purely textbook / guestimate.

Any feedback would be helpful! Thanks!
Hi Jason,

We currently tow our 2106DS with a 2020 Tundra Double Cab and use the Blue Ox Sway Pro w/750# bars. Our tongue weight over the past 5 years has ranged from 600-725# depending how we load the camper and if we are traveling with an empty or full fresh water tank. I use a Sherline 1000# trailer tongue weight scale to keep the tongue weight below 750#. Also, based on CAT scale weight slips over the past 5 years, our trailer weight when ready to go camping has ranged from 4,340# to 5,180#.

Keep an eye on your Tundra's GVWR. Our Tundra's GVWR is 7,100# and the first time we used it to tow our 2106DS, we went to a CAT scale and found out we were at 7,220# and had to move a few things around. All other weight specs were good.

Fred
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would take the GVWR weight of your trailer (weight of the empty trailer + max allowable cargo weight) and use 12.5% of that number as your likely tongue weight. Use that number to determine the correct WDH rating.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My micro Minnie tongue weight is 600-650 depending on loading (like fresh water). A WDH cannot make a trailer “jump”. However, if your torsion bars are not properly adjusted, your trailer ride can be affected. It’s very highly unlikely you’ll ever approach 750 tongue weight with your 2100bh unless you exceed it’s GVWR. We go with 750lb rated bars and 1,000 lb rated hitch. Heavier bars are also harder to put on and take off unless you jack up high enough to take all the weight off the bars. No bueno, because it means that you’ll be totally unweighting and possibly lifting the truck axle, while still coupled, and you could damage the tongue jack. Try to get ball height within a couple of inches of coupler height when trailer is level front to back.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:25 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
My micro Minnie tongue weight is 600-650 depending on loading (like fresh water). A WDH cannot make a trailer “jump”. However, if your torsion bars are not properly adjusted, your trailer ride can be affected. It’s very highly unlikely you’ll ever approach 750 tongue weight with your 2100bh unless you exceed it’s GVWR. We go with 750lb rated bars and 1,000 lb rated hitch. Heavier bars are also harder to put on and take off unless you jack up high enough to take all the weight off the bars. No bueno, because it means that you’ll be totally unweighting and possibly lifting the truck axle, while still coupled, and you could damage the tongue jack. Try to get ball height within a couple of inches of coupler height when trailer is level front to back.
Hi Jim,

I'm not familiar with the setup of a C-line hitch, but I use my tongue jack to both install and remove my 750# Sway Pro bars. Without using the jack to install, I could never get the proper bend in the bars for weight distribution and anti-sway control. If I didn't use the jack to remove the bars, I would definitely risk bodily injury due to the sudden release of energy from the bars as they cam over and release their stored energy.

Fred
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yeah Fred. I jack up the tongue until it’s an easy task to remove the bars with the pry bar. Then down again on the jack to uncouple. Then up again to level.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ok- We purchased our 2108TB on 2/1/2022. Have been reading all these posts regarding weights of trailer, tongue weight and tow vehicle capabilities. And more than one time broke into a cold sweat as to what I was reading. We have a 2019 Honda Pilot. With the added transmission cooler, have the towing capacity of 5000 lbs and tongue weight 500 lbs. When we purchased the vehicle, I had a class 3 hitch installed which was 350/4000 lbs. We replaced it with a class 4 hitch and also added a Blue Ox wdh with 1000 lb. bars. Picked up our MM first part of March and at this time we have had minimal towing time. Had it home once since to load it up and just brought it home this past few days for final prep and make that trip to the Cat scale. Going in, we knew that we needed to keep the weight down and the only thing we did not have with us to the scale was our 35 lb dog and the 22" Blackstone. Have read horror stories about wind and it has been frequent of late and something I have dreaded. Sure enough, when we headed to the scale it was 20-30 with gusts over 35. Took the Pilot out first, gross 4780. Wonderful, we have a gvwr of 5842. Will never get over 5000 I'm sure. Went to the storage lot and got the Winnie. By now its howling... trailer stayed straight but the Pilot got bounced around a bit. First time on the Interstate, and I was very nervous, but made it with no problem. Had 2 full propane tanks, nothing in any of the holding tanks, everything we need and what many would say we don't. Only thing lacking was clothes, which would be no more than 3 days. Full tank of gas. Steer axle 2700, drive axle 2540, trailer axle 4240, gross 9480. Guess I have room for a couple of cast iron skillets...
OldSup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

If your trailer tongue weight is less than 1,000# you need a 1,000# WDH..

This is the best and most complete Guide to setting-up a WDH I've ever seen.
Here is another guide with pictures to help understand.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

As to accurately and safely matching a tow vehicle and a trailer; this online calculator removes all guesswork and bragging from the task.
https://changingears.com/weight-calculators/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight