Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2023, 02:09 PM   #1
Micro Minnie 1800BH

Towing a Micro Minnie 1800BH

I’m curious how folks are doing towing the MM 1800BH with a smaller SUV/CUV.

Can you please provide your setup to include the tow vehicle, hitch system and weights?

Thanks
PWRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Considering that the trailer in question is almost two tons dry, towing it with a short wheel based SUV that may not be much heavier than the trailer is not exactly a good idea. Far better to use a longer wheel based pickup truck or heavier rig like a Nissan Armada or the like.

Definitely use a well balanced WD hitch setup especially on short wheel based SUVs. I would not tow that trailer with anything less than a vehicle rated to tow 5000 lbs minimum without a WD hitch!

Yes you can tow it with a less heavy tow vehicle but the experience will be somewhat akin to participating in a flee circus. Regardless, if the tow vehicle has an automatic transmission then make certain it can take the extra heat. It would be a serious mistake to take the cheap SUV rig without a towing package installed to pull a trailer as heavy or heavier than the tow vehicle. The very reason why many SUVs and light duty pickup trucks wind up blowing up transmissions prematurely.

I would not recommend for instance pulling that trailer with a Nissan Pathfinder or equivalent SUV from any of the manufactures for any distance. Although short slow trips would be fine heavy use would certainly be too much for the intermediate size SUV. Also because the trailer is 7 feet wide one certainly must consider wider mirrors of a wider stance tow vehicle that is designed for the job not an SUV that must be modified or have ridiculous strap on tow mirrors used to see your how your rear most axle is tracking with the trailer! Many people easily forget that watching axle track and the ability to see where ones rear tires are when towing a trailer is very important. There is nothing more silly than having to have someone get out of the rig just so you can get out of a parking lot without hitting the curb.

I have seen very silly setups where it is painful to watch the family trying to even fill the tow vehicle with gas and get out of the service station without bumping a curb or scrubbing ones tires on something. Or worse the humiliation and inevitable silly hand signals given while the family takes an hour just to back up into a camping spot because the driver cannot see behind the trailer because of short mirrors on a tiny tow vehicle.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:36 AM   #3
Site Team

You'll find a few large SUVs are fine for towing. The Chevy Suburban and Ford Expedition are good choices. The Chevy Tahoe works but only with short travel trailers... which means the 1800BH would work, but nothing longer.

The key is to find a SUV with a truck frame underneath. That works best. Most CUVs are cars with a taller box on top. Not suited for anything more than a small pop-up, tear drop or similar.

I know many tow the smaller Micro Minnie with a Chevy Colorado small pickup. I assume the Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma might be suitable too. But you should check to be sure.

It's tempting to go for something that "seems" like it might work especially if you don't want a truck. But trust us, that only puts you and your family at considerable risk.

I towed a 25' 5,000 TT with a Ford Expedition EL with a factory towing package which is a F150 with an SUV body. That's worked fine with a weight distribution hitch.

There are folks out there using Range Rovers, BMW Xs and Audi SUVs but they can be problematic. There is no truck frame, but the body is built for 4900lb towing.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:43 PM   #4
Micro Minnie 1800BH

I have a Colorado Crew Cab w/140” WB (6’2” box), 3.6L, heavy duty tow package, WDH and brake controller.
My 1800BH TW is 500# w/loaded trailer @4500#
The TV has 7000# towing max and 700# TW w/WDH.
This is a good towing setup for me.

I have towed with my KL Trailhawk but that left no “safety zone” regarding weight. It has the factory Towing Package. I bought the Jeep as a toad for use with our motorhomes.

The Colorado has 33” more WB than the Cherokee. Local trips with the TH aren’t problematic. All temps are normal with Towing Package, large brake rotors, AutoStick works well. Tandem trailer axles and anti sway keeps the trailer inline with passing trucks and wind. Braking and acceleration with the 3.2L Jeep is amazing. Yet the TH maintains 14-15mpg towing at 60mph on the highway,

It’s just that weight issue that limits Trailhawk. I was curious who else may push the limits on small. SUV/CUV TV’s.
PWRving is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing