Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-15-2023, 07:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ideas for spare tire/bike carrier 2022 Micro Minnie 1800BH?

The objective:

To carry 4 bicycles with us when we travel and have the least hassle to use them.

I keep bouncing around all over the place and I need to get plan together!

First, let me share the facts - then let's brainstorm ideas!

What I currently have:

Trailer:
2022 1800BH.

On the tongue:
Two (2) propane tanks (stock, with stock covers)
Power tongue jack (stock).
No battery. (Batteries are now in pass-through)

At the rear of trailer:
Spare tire, stock bumper mount.
150lb stock 2" receiver.

Hitch being used to tow:
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway 10k

Current bike rack:
Curt 18087 (which can be a 2 or a 4 bike carrier.

Tow vehicle:
Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO
Tows great, however, need to be cognizant of tongue weight limitations. (10% of max capacity 640lbs (if you're using the 6400 and not the 6800 number).

The Tacoma has a RetraxPRO so you can use T-slot accessories. I dislike the idea (very much so) of putting the bikes on the top of the truck because I don't want to wreck the truck, and I don't think the truck needs more weight... although, over the axles might not be bad. Another option is to move the spare tire to the T-Slot bars, but I don't like that either too much.

Another idea is to put two bikes in the bunk house (have to remove tires)... and I don't love this idea because then the kids can't sleep in the bunk unless we pull bikes out. Annoying if it's a one-night stop.

I looked at the under the trailer tire mounts. Terrible ground clearance.
I looked at putting the tire under the A-frame tongue area (where there's not chloroplast) - meh, not much better clearance wise.

Can't/Won't put spare in truck bed because the stupid WDH won't let me open the tail gate all the way, so that's damage waiting to happen.

Now. To make it worse, the bike rack, with just two bikes (too heavy with 4) has a problem with working with the spare tire when stock mounted. I don't want to cantilever it. I haven't tried sliding the spare out of the way yet. But my measurements tell me that the only thing to do is to slide it all the way to right and block plate/light. Don't love that either.

I *could* do a Arvika two-bike carrier on the front and the two on the back. But then I'm buying a second carrier. Meh.

So... that's a lot to read. And I know it's a lot to ask for someone to follow.

But it sure would be a HUGE help.

Thanks,
Pete
Winnie1800BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Team

I think your only realistic choice is to put all four bikes in the bed of the truck. Or put the two heaviest bikes in the truck bed and put the two lighter bikes in an above-the-propane-tank rack.

This assumes that this doesn't send your tongue weight too high.

I don't see how you avoid buying two bike racks with 4 bikes in your situation. Yeah, it costs more, but after you loose all four bikes - and maybe the trailer - because you tried to hang 4-bikes on one rack on the back of your TT it will seem really cheap.

PS. You might find that taking your bikes on camping trips is a really great idea but that total riding time in a whole week of camping is less than 2-hours.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I think your only realistic choice is to put all four bikes in the bed of the truck. Or put the two heaviest bikes in the truck bed and put the two lighter bikes in an above-the-propane-tank rack.

This assumes that this doesn't send your tongue weight too high.

I don't see how you avoid buying two bike racks with 4 bikes in your situation. Yeah, it costs more, but after you loose all four bikes - and maybe the trailer - because you tried to hang 4-bikes on one rack on the back of your TT it will seem really cheap.

PS. You might find that taking your bikes on camping trips is a really great idea but that total riding time in a whole week of camping is less than 2-hours.
So let's review.

1) I never, not once, said I wanted to put all 4 bikes on the back. In fact, that would clearly go far over the 150lb limit.

2) Considering that we just rode 250+ miles doing the Mickelson Trail (round trip, with side trips) I think your assumptions about how much we ride or don't ride wasn't part of the equation.

If you didn't have any good ideas, you could have just scrolled by.

Have a Blessed Day.
Winnie1800BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 09:31 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie1800BH View Post
If you didn't have any good ideas, you could have just scrolled by.

Have a Blessed Day.
I'm truly sorry my response angered you. That was certainly not my intention.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:12 PM   #5
Micro Minnie 1800BH

Regarding using the bike rack on the trailer 2” receiver, you could get a straight receiver extension to clear the spare tire.
That would create more leverage on the 150# rating but may be ok for two bikes.
That is what I do.
PWRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 03:34 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Just to float some ideas...

Check out what RocknRoll did to move his spare to the tongue.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ue-360779.html

In the bed, I put 2 of these on the top of my pickup bed, just under the rear cab window.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ACAM7E