Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 01:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Micro Minnie 1800BH

Hello!

We're currently looking into buying a travel trailer for the first time. I've been going pretty crazy looking at different models/makes and have suffered some disappointment since the more I learn, the smaller the trailer has to be for me to tow it. Seems there's more than just being able to tow 7200lbs.

We've been looking at the Forest River line up of smaller trailers, and today found the Micro Minnie 1800BH! I was all set on a Geo Pro until I saw this one. It's a little longer, but has a much bigger fridge, a nicer pantry, and we really like the interior color scheme. And according to my spreadsheet (yes, I nerded out) the tongue weight is good added to my payload, and I can easily tow it with my 2013 Dodge Durango 5.7L V8.

So, if you dont mind, I'd like to ask a few questions:
- How easy is it to get warranty repairs?
- Have you had many issues with your trailer?
- What nuances should I know about?

So far the closest one I could find is in Salt Lake about 12 hours away from Phoenix, but I'm sure dealers will start getting them soon. Or, I'll just have to make my first experience driving back down through Utah... which is beautiful and wouldn't be all that bad.

Thanks for any advice!
thoffland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've been looking at a 2100BH for awhile, this is first I've seen of this 1800BH.. Maybe I'm missing something, but honestly i'm left with the question of, what's the point of this model? I can understand the 1700BH as there is definite weight and cost savings vs the 2100 there, but this 1800 seems to be in nowhereland model wise. Instead of this I sure wish they'd give a 2100bh variant with a sofa/folding table option instead of dinette.

Vs the 2100, the 1800 looks to only be ~100 lbs lighter than the 2100, and you get less space w/o the slideout. I would expect it's cheaper w/o the slideout, but wondering how much (and these aren't on the cheap end of trailers, so the savings would have to be alot to relatively impact the price). Our previous camper was an Rpod without the slideout.. while the decision at the time was a cost/weight savings choice.. we more or less regretted until we finally sold the RPOD. For some weird reason even after just 2-3 years the kids took up much more space than when we bought it , and no slideout was very noticeable. Looking at the images of the 1800bh.. it seems like it's not as bad as the rpod, but the same problem of a "tight hallway" that clogs up when you have >1 person in the camper.

Assuming you have kids.. i'd encourage taking a look at a 2100 vs 1800. Put all of you in there at the same time, try to walk around and move around. Ideally.. you spend as little time in the camper as possible, but you will be in there enough that you want it to be functional.
COSCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Very good points COSCamper!

I hadn't even checked the weight on the 2100BH simply because other brands (cough cough Forest River) add about 500lbs with a slideout. I'd written it off without even looking. Just assumed all slideouts add that much more weight. This is the first time I've ever looked at a TT so I'm definitely getting an education!

I plugged it into my spreadsheet and it looks like the weights will work for me.

Overall the towing weight isn't a problem for my Durango, but the hitch weight is where I'm trying to stay within specs. The 2100BH still leaves me with 47lbs to play with after cargo/gas/people/dog weight added in.

I wanted a slide out, even looked at smaller models in other brands just to have that "passing" space in the kitchen area. This might be the best option I've seen yet, so thank you for pointing it out to me!
Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

be sure you get a WDH (and consider it's weight).
Old 06-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoffland View Post
Very good points COSCamper!

I hadn't even checked the weight on the 2100BH ...

I wanted a slide out, even looked at smaller models in other brands just to have that "passing" space in the kitchen area. ...
Our first trailer was a Keystone Bullet Premier 19FBPR; overall length was about 23 feet and GVWR was 6500 #. it had a slide, 8 cf fridge/freezer and lots of internal storage. We were very happy with it, but we upgraded to the Minnie Winnie 2500FL for two major reasons: the DW could no longer get into the shower/tub without assistance (the 2500FL has a walk-in shower), and she also wanted a more comfortable seating space (the 19FBPR only has the dinette seating whereas the 2500FL has a separate couch).

I'm not sure if this floorplan/model will fit your needs as you are investigating a BH, but maybe some other plan they have.

Good luck on the hunt; that's half the fun!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSCamper View Post
be sure you get a WDH (and consider it's weight).
I'm definitely planning on it, with sway control as well. I tend to be overly cautious with things like this.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Our first trailer was a Keystone Bullet Premier 19FBPR; overall length was about 23 feet and GVWR was 6500 #. it had a slide, 8 cf fridge/freezer and lots of internal storage. We were very happy with it, but we upgraded to the Minnie Winnie 2500FL for two major reasons: the DW could no longer get into the shower/tub without assistance (the 2500FL has a walk-in shower), and she also wanted a more comfortable seating space (the 19FBPR only has the dinette seating whereas the 2500FL has a separate couch).

I'm not sure if this floorplan/model will fit your needs as you are investigating a BH, but maybe some other plan they have.

Good luck on the hunt; that's half the fun!
I'm obsessed! I've looked at so many trailers, some in person, most online. This 2100BH seems to be a good one for us though.

I started seriously looking for a TT about a month ago. I've found many that I like, but most are too long, too heavy, or the wrong color. It's pretty amazing how many different ones are out there! We do need a bunkhouse for the kids, and finding one that meets my weight, length needs while still accommodating 4 people and a dog can be challenging.

It is a fun process though exhausting. Aside from just looking at trailers, I've been pinning campgrounds to my google maps, looking at storage tricks and modifications to help make the trailer our "home away from home".
Old 06-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Only a month.. you're a complete beginner

I've been (very) casually looking for a few years now, I've yet to find anything I'd take over a 2100BH. I came very very close to getting one back in early Jan (and probably should have given the price) but a long overdo kitchen remodel veered us away from a new camper, maybe next year.

We came from Rpod 172, which was initially fine, particularly for our first camper, over a few years we realized it had some major drawbacks. It lacked much storage, the adult bed was the table (never ever plan to use the dinnette as a regular bed, it doesn't work), it's CCC was kinda low for us, and the single axle towing is annoying.

Why I've latched onto the 2100BH is below, I've yet to find anything that matches this model point for point:

1) Dual axle, smoother towing vs single
2) VERY high CCC.. 7000lbs is crazy.. you can put 3000lbs in that thing.. you'll likely never approach, but in my view "overkill is underated".. I like having a huge cushion
3) it's not 30+ long.. it's not even 25+ft.. we don't want a super long camper, the 2100 seems as small as you I've found for a camper meeting all these other points.
4) has a slideout
5) good quality (camper quality isn't all that great, but winnebago seems well above averge)
6) bunks
7) good size water tanks
8) can get the lift/offroad tires
9) has a well stocked kitchen, BIG fridge, good size burners and an oven
10) good amount of storage (we have a lot of.. stuff..bikes, kayaks, gear, kids, etc)

The only nitpicks I really have are that I'd prefer a sofa/table over the dinnette, and there isn't a sink in the bathroom, but I can live with both. It is more expensive than average, but again I've seen nothing that can really compete with it either, so I feel it's competitive regardless.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSCamper View Post
Only a month.. you're a complete beginner

It is more expensive, but the other brands I've looked at don't have the slideout/options at this weight. I'm really glad you mentioned this trailer. There's an RV show starting this weekend here in town and we're going to go see it in person for the first time.

For the size, I'm also thinking finding gas stations to fill up at will be easier as well. But again, that will be something all new to me. Still trying to research more ideas on that as well. A few years ago we rented a 30' RV from Cruise America for 10 days. I didn't even know to think about gas station angles etc... just pulled in and filled up. I never had a problem, but I think the trailer might be a little different even though the length will be about the same?

I'm just looking forward to my first camping trip... or 2nd one since the first one will be in our driveway to work out the kinks.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Micro Minnie

We live in Salt Lake City and bought our Micro Minnie 1706fb from Motor Sportsland in SLC. Good dealership in our experience. Reasonable price and good service. Might be worth your time to pay them a visit.
duck42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Just bought a used (like in brand new) 2108DS. About 6" longer, 150 lbs. dry weight heavier, and almost same hitch weight as 1800BH, but has a slide and Murphy Bed/Couch so you don't have to live in the dinette all the time when you're inside. Also, dual axles for more stable tow, but if you need the bunks for kids, it won't work for you. I have had a bunk house motor home before when we had kids and that works well for kids.
mikecaretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

What is your tow vehicle?
gkooris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

2017 Chevy Colorado 2.8 Duramax Turbo Diesel Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 4WD. Rated to tow 7,700 lbs. 2108DS dry weight 3,900, hitch weight dry 410, GVWR 7,000, I don't expect it to be more than about 5,500 loaded so should tow easily.
mikecaretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We also tow the same unit with a Colorado, but just the 6. Equalizer hitch on the back, don’t even know it’s there.
gkooris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #15
2020 1706FB Owner

That's interesting that you were considering the Geo Pro until you saw the Winnebago. That's exactly what happened to us. We had pretty much decided to buy the Geo Pro as it was so well equipped with things such as the roof mounted solar panel, the Wi-Fi booster, the keyless l
entry, the Fantastic Fan, and even a portable stove for outside. However we then noticed the Winnebago 1706fb and the comparisons began. The Winnebago was the exact same length which was a priority for us as our driveway isn't very large and even an extra foot would make a difference. It couldn't compete with the Geo Pro in features and electric stuff but the Winnebago has the tandem axles and more recognized name for resale. It also came with a oven. We bought the Winnebago but don't take possession until Monday next week. My only recommendation to you is to keep reading through these forums. One of them had a question about the most common problem area and there were many responses saying that the slideouts were a problem. That doesn't surprise me as all trailers tend to flex when being hauled down the road and slideouts have two problems; the cutout for the slideout means a less rigid structure; also a slideout needs to be precisely aligned to function properly. However there's no arguing with the fact that slides provide much more livable space and with kids that space is important. Oh and when we sat down with the sales guy we brought out the Geo Pro brochure and kept pointing out the many features. I think it helped us to get a better deal than we otherwise might have.
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

We just purchased a new 2020 2100BH in early June and have had it out on 4 trips so far. We absolutely love it. It is our first travel trailer. I was worried that there wouldn't be quite enough storage but there's plenty. The addition of the access doors to the under dinette storage for 2020 is really helpful. The slide out makes a huge difference in interior spaciousness over the 1700BH, especially since these trailers are only 7 ft wide.

Also, we're towing this with a 2017 Honda Pilot 9-speed Touring with 5000 lbs towing capacity. We use a WDH with sway control. With our gear, propane, and battery, we're within a couple hundred pounds of the max and right at our max tongue weight. I've had zero issues towing so far. Very stable, plenty of power, no sway at all when the big rigs pass by. I've taken it over a mountain pass and in moderate wind with no issues. I rarely exceed 60 mph. I was concerned we would potentially have issues towing with the Pilot but we've had none.

I'd be happy to answer any other specific questions you may have.
thebigrooste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:58 AM   #17
2020 1706FB Owner

It's my understanding that the Honda Pilot's owner's manual says not to use a weight distributing hitch with this vehicle. Have you checked your owner's manual? I know that the Ridgeline says no weight distributing hitch's and the two vehicles share many parts.
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

We just purchased an 1800BH as our first RV ever following a similar path, we saw the Geo Pro, also were leaning towards an R-POD, but decided in the end for this one due to:
- Short trailer
- Bunk beds
- Fully enclosed and heated tanks
- Offroad - gives a few extra inches above ground
- Double axle (this was almost the tie breaker with the r-pod)
- Insulation - the Winnebago were by far the coolest ones in the lot
- No slideouts

So far just one trip, we have more trips already booked in the upcoming weeks. We tow with a 2016 Infiniti QX80, with plenty of power, using a WDH with sway control bar and an aftermarket Tekonsha P2 brake controller.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoffland View Post
Hello!

We're currently looking into buying a travel trailer for the first time. I've been going pretty crazy looking at different models/makes and have suffered some disappointment since the more I learn, the smaller the trailer has to be for me to tow it. Seems there's more than just being able to tow 7200lbs.

We've been looking at the Forest River line up of smaller trailers, and today found the Micro Minnie 1800BH! I was all set on a Geo Pro until I saw this one. It's a little longer, but has a much bigger fridge, a nicer pantry, and we really like the interior color scheme. And according to my spreadsheet (yes, I nerded out) the tongue weight is good added to my payload, and I can easily tow it with my 2013 Dodge Durango 5.7L V8.

So, if you dont mind, I'd like to ask a few questions:
- How easy is it to get warranty repairs?
- Have you had many issues with your trailer?
- What nuances should I know about?

So far the closest one I could find is in Salt Lake about 12 hours away from Phoenix, but I'm sure dealers will start getting them soon. Or, I'll just have to make my first experience driving back down through Utah... which is beautiful and wouldn't be all that bad.

Thanks for any advice!
My advice to add, is only this...while you might find a dealer out of county, out of State/Province, that will lob off another one to three thousand dollars off the asking price, over your most nearest dealer to where you live, will camp, will store...etc, .... you need to know, or dwell on this---->...ANY dealer, that knows where you live, (and will...) and sees that you purchased your RV and/or Travel Trailer, from another dealer, and worse yet...from one either next county, or out of state, will...when you bring it in for warranty, or regular general maintenance, WILL, not break their cubes, to get you in, 'right away', for Service, even if an emergency, or threatening lack-of-use-until-warranty and/or out-of-warranty repair is in play,...and you could seriously wait weeks to MONTHS lost in the Camping Season, before any warranty or out-of-warranty repair will be effected.

Just ask anybody around these forums, and if they are honest, will tell you that. Dealers will take care of their own 'have sold the owner, the RV/TT' customers BEFORE any others! And nobody could blame them for that practice, and is a good method of rewarding customers that bought off their lot, as well as reinforcing the 'need' to 'scratch my back, will scratch yours' dealer/customer post-sale relations.

That is my advice...sometimes, you need to look at the total picture, as in who do you expect to take care of your warranty and general maintenance/repair....your most closest, convenient dealer/business/ to where you live/operate,---> or the one hundreds of miles away from your home-base-of-usage, where you closed on that 'killer' purchase price?

Many TT/RV purchasers, new into RV/TT'ing, or even long-in-the-tooth, have fallen into the still-in-warranty/ out-of-warranty, service bottomless well...because they didn't buy from the dealer they most want to drop in on...for that very service...

Something to think about...before you decide to buy from any one dealer that sells the TT you are interested in. One of the best 'investments' concerning RV/TT's you can MAKE...is in creating a great 'working' relationship with the dealer that will be offering warranty and/or general maintenance/repair towards your RV/TT. It's not ONLY about 'how much I saved'.....that makes into a wise purchasing decision....especially with RV/TT's (that is a given!), that take a beating going down the road,...and the manufacturing of the units, that--->can come with warranty needed repair, current model year, new, and SITTING ON THE DEALER LOT!

Post edit: Case in point...I purchased my 2018 Micro Minnie 1706FB as a used trailer, one model year old, at a local dealer, from my residence. Three weeks after the purchase, my entire Queen bed frame as built by the OEM, totally failed, and dropped down 4 inches into the Storage Locker below. On the way home from that camping trip weekend, I dropped into the selling dealer...and he directly, booked me into the Service Department, for a simply fabulous repair and remediation of the situation. I will never have another chance of bed frame failure, out upon the camping trail...and they apologized with profuseness, for what happened...and took me in, right away, the next morning for repair.

That is a 'living example' of just what I am typing about...I supported their local dealership by purchasing...and THEY supported me (wonderfully!) as their purchasing customer.

Case...closed... (large smile)!

Cheers,

Sun Seeker
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigrooste View Post
We just purchased a new 2020 2100BH in early June and have had it out on 4 trips so far. We absolutely love it. It is our first travel trailer. I was worried that there wouldn't be quite enough storage but there's plenty. The addition of the access doors to the under dinette storage for 2020 is really helpful. The slide out makes a huge difference in interior spaciousness over the 1700BH, especially since these trailers are only 7 ft wide.

Also, we're towing this with a 2017 Honda Pilot 9-speed Touring with 5000 lbs towing capacity. We use a WDH with sway control. With our gear, propane, and battery, we're within a couple hundred pounds of the max and right at our max tongue weight. I've had zero issues towing so far. Very stable, plenty of power, no sway at all when the big rigs pass by. I've taken it over a mountain pass and in moderate wind with no issues. I rarely exceed 60 mph. I was concerned we would potentially have issues towing with the Pilot but we've had none.

I'd be happy to answer any other specific questions you may have.
A question for thebigrooste
You mention pulling with a Honda Pilot, how did that go this season? I am looking at a 2106FBS at approximately the same weight as your 2100BH. I have a 2019 Honda Passport with the same 5000# towing capacity. Did you encounter any problems with towing or extra wear and tear on your vehicle? Thank you Wannabwinnie
Wannabwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote