Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Our experience towing with a Tacoma

Hi guys, just wanted to share so others can learn. We searched quite a bit looking for information related to towing with a 2019 Tacoma and there is not much out there. So with that, our rig is a 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro with an automatic transmission.
We tow a new Winnie 1708FB which comes in just under 3k dry, I believe the hitch weight is around 300. The truck has a towing capacity right at 6400k with a hitch weight capacity of 640lbs.
For the hitch, I had to find something that would be at the right height. The hitch measurement from the ground on the camper is 26" and receiver on the truck measures 17". For this we chose the Anderson weight distribution and anti sway with an 8" rise. With this set up I was able to get the camper within a 1/2 inch of level and the truck within an inch of level.
I also installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. I have it set for Boost level 1.
Towing, dry and running around town with the ECT power mode engaged, it tows like a dream. Really not a huge difference in the way the truck feels. I was highly optimistic for our maiden voyage to Death Valley. Fully loaded and the fresh tank full, different story. In the bed of the truck I had a generator, 5.5 gallons of water, and we also carried 11 gallons of gas which I will elaborate on later.
Pulling on level highway the sweet spot in the rpm range seems to be around 2750, running between 55 to 60 mph. After a while I realized I could keep the rpm's lower by switching to manual mode and shifting myself rather than relying on the truck to shift itself. Especially when climbing hills. For the first few hundred miles, as with anything you tow for the first set up I was learning how the truck responds and getting comfortable with the weight of the trailer. I felt I was pushing the truck too hard to reach 65 mph and if you know anything about northern Nevada, it is hilly. We were constantly shifting into the passing gear to climb hills and maintain speed.
On the return trip to home, I kept the speed to 55 to 60 and only used the transmission in manual mode. It was a much more enjoyable trip and truck didnt work nearly as hard. I will say we completed dumped the tanks before we left the Death Valley Campground which I know made a huge difference.
With all of that said, be aware these trucks will tow and perform well. However, let the truck dictate what speed you tow at, dont overwork it and find the best speed and rpm that feels right.
I totally understand there are much better vehicles for towing, we didnt buy the Tacoma to be our main towing vehicle, rather we purchased the Winnie specifically because of its size and weight so we could find a balance between truck and trailer that would work for the trips we plan to take. We camp off grid quite a bit, and the Offroad package on the Winnie is perfect for getting where we want to go. We can make 3 days completely self contained if we watch our water usage.
Fuel mileage, the Tacoma has an 21 gallon tank, and pulling the Winnie I was getting an average of about 8 mpg. I was hoping it would do a little better, getting under 200 miles a tank was not ideal but I can work with it. My wife and I laughed about the range since that would allow us to stop and stretch more. Being used to my F350, we can go close to 600 miles without stopping and that truck doesn't care what is behind it. We have a trip coming up in May to Arizona and the route we have plan to take does not have a lot of places to stop and get fuel till we get closer to Vegas. The 11 gallons I carry will allow me to get another 100 miles down the road.
Once we reach our destination, we can unhook and take the Tacoma and explore places I know my F350 wont go. Death Valley is an amazing place and we plan to go back to hit some of the canyons and 4x4 trails.
I just wanted to share my experience, hopefully anyone looking to tow their camper with a Tacoma will have more information to use if trying to make a decision. If there is anything else I can answer post up or shoot me a pm. I will be glad to help in anyway I can.
Best regards and happy camping!
Old 01-31-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Nice report. I'm thinking of getting one of those Andersen hitches for my 2106DS to avoid the grease of the normal WDH and also add some sway control (although sway has not been an issue--yet). Are you happy with it, and is it really greaseless?

And I sort of new beforehand why you had the extra gasoline. I would own a 2019 Ranger right now but for the 18 gallon tank they are limited to. The Ranger would have very limited towing range. Instead I went with the 2019 Colorado with the Duramax diesel to get some decent towing range, and have less range anxiety--which is what carrying fuel gets you. I still may carry an empty 5 gallon can with me and fill it up if I'm going into unknown areas.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Nice report. I'm thinking of getting one of those Andersen hitches for my 2106DS to avoid the grease of the normal WDH and also add some sway control (although sway has not been an issue--yet). Are you happy with it, and is it really greaseless?

And I sort of new beforehand why you had the extra gasoline. I would own a 2019 Ranger right now but for the 18 gallon tank they are limited to. The Ranger would have very limited towing range. Instead I went with the 2019 Colorado with the Duramax diesel to get some decent towing range, and have less range anxiety--which is what carrying fuel gets you. I still may carry an empty 5 gallon can with me and fill it up if I'm going into unknown areas.
It is greaseless, and once you set it up it is simple and ease to connect/disconnect. I believe I am to the point where I need to remove a link in the chain just so I have some threads to play with. Also, no issues with bumpy roads/reverse maneuvers, or tight turns.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'm towing a Winnebago Voyage 34' 5th wheel that weighs about double your rig. I have the Tundra with the factory tow package and the big V8. I average about 12 mpg unless I have a headwind and then all bets are off.

It's actually more economical to have a bigger engine that doesn't get worked as hard, even though that seems a bit counterintuitive. My rig doesn't even hesitate at 75 mph, but I keep it down to 65 because that's all the RV tires are rated for. I'm a packrat so my cargo weight is near the 2,000 lb limit, too.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I’m new to towing. Your post is helpful. Your carrying around some serious extra weight with all that water and gas. We are looking to tow a 1700bh since it’s gvrw is only 3,700. Isint yours towing 3,700 x2 with the double axel? We are planning on using 2016 4 runner 5000 towing 500 tongue. Getting a WD hitch with sway 450 tongue 4500 trailer max weight. Also break controller. If something seems off let me know your input is appreciated
614erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 614erich View Post
I’m new to towing. Your post is helpful. Your carrying around some serious extra weight with all that water and gas. We are looking to tow a 1700bh since it’s gvrw is only 3,700. Isint yours towing 3,700 x2 with the double axel? We are planning on using 2016 4 runner 5000 towing 500 tongue. Getting a WD hitch with sway 450 tongue 4500 trailer max weight. Also break controller. If something seems off let me know your input is appreciated
Well, doing the math I am marginal, which is why I didnt opt for the slide which added 500lbs to the overall weight of the trailer. My dry weight is 2980 per the decal on the camper, with a tongue weight of 300lbs. Add the water and camping gear just adds to that. The tacoma has a curb weight of 4510lbs, with a GVWR of 5190 per the door decal. That leaves me with 680 lbs I can add without exceeding the rating on the truck. Ratings tell me the truck is rated for 6800lbs towing, with 600lbs on the hitch. I have not weighed the camper at the hitch with a full load. With the Anderson weight distribution I am pretty close to level and the truck pulls fine. Other than wishing I had a little more power.
Run the numbers and I think you will find you will be close or just over the rating.
Your GVWR varies from 6100 to 6300 depending on model,your campers hitch weight is 380 dry. With a 500lb hitch capacity, that only leaves you 120lbs to add before you exceed ratings. The dry weight of the camper is 3010 so you can add just under 700lbs of water, gear, etc. You will be adding just under 260lbs if you fill your fresh water tank at 31 gallons.
I would definitely add a good weight distribution and anti-sway as you have planned. Once you get it, consider weighing it and find out exactly where you are.
I am in no way saying you can or cant tow what you plan to tow, just throwing out some ideas to consider. Living in Nevada I have a little wiggle room as I know I am marginal and consider everything as a former Class A driver. But in Cali, I would not even attempt it due to liability.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

No, the weight doesn't double just because there's two axles

I don't usually drive with a full water tank unless I'm on the way to do some boondocking. I don't know enough about travel trailers to comment on your sway bars and such. The dry weight of the trailer is 8,440 pounds, and the Tundra has a towing capacity of 10,500. The gvrw is kind of pointless to me since it estimates the weight of your load. Not very accurate. I just weighed my entire rig, truck, trailer and all last spring, and then subtracted the gross vehicle weight of the truck. I still had almost 1,800 pounds of headroom before I exceed the towing capacity. The Tundra also has a specially designed transmission for towing (6-speeds, I think.) It hauls my trailer like a breeze. I also checked Consumer Reports before I bought the truck and the customer satisfaction, durability, features, etc. were ALL in the "bright green" range on the chart, which is either "excellent" or "very good." NONE of the American vehicles came anywhere close to that. People were especially disappointed by Ford, Chevy and Dodge/Ram. LOTS of mechanical problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 614erich View Post
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:24 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I'm pullilng a 2018 1706FB (with potable water and black water both empty), with water heater 6 gallons full...and keeping it to 55-60 max pulling with a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan v6 283 HP...get 12-15 on a flat highway. If I am climbing a 3-5 percent grade, I drop to around 8-10 for the duration. So...quite pleased...and just wanted add that your trailer, could also be pulled by someone with my Grand Caravan, and the O.E.M. Class 3 tow package, with self-leveling rear air bag suspension. Within 3 miles of start, the computer operating those O.E.M. air bags will self level the back end of the Grand Caravan..and oh boy...does that system work fabulous! Also, I run a WDH as well, with 4 chain links to the torsion bars.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden13 View Post
I don't usually drive with a full water tank unless I'm on the way to do some boondocking. I don't know enough about travel trailers to comment on your sway bars and such. The dry weight of the trailer is 8,440 pounds, and the Tundra has a towing capacity of 10,500. The gvrw is kind of pointless to me since it estimates the weight of your load. Not very accurate. I just weighed my entire rig, truck, trailer and all last spring, and then subtracted the gross vehicle weight of the truck. I still had almost 1,800 pounds of headroom before I exceed the towing capacity.:
Towing capacity is not the only limiting number, and it's largely a BS number to promote sales. You need to also consider payload, tongue weight and axle weight limits

My truck will max out those other weights at about 66% of tow capacity, but that's in part largely dependent on how many passengers I carry and what I carry in the bed.

You can do some basic calculations here:

TowCalculator.com
Old 08-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
I'm pullilng a 2018 1706FB (with potable water and black water both empty), with water heater 6 gallons full...and keeping it to 55-60 max pulling with a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan v6 283 HP...get 12-15 on a flat highway. If I am climbing a 3-5 percent grade, I drop to around 8-10 for the duration. So...quite pleased...and just wanted add that your trailer, could also be pulled by someone with my Grand Caravan, and the O.E.M. Class 3 tow package, with self-leveling rear air bag suspension. Within 3 miles of start, the computer operating those O.E.M. air bags will self level the back end of the Grand Caravan..and oh boy...does that system work fabulous! Also, I run a WDH as well, with 4 chain links to the torsion bars.
I wish I got that mileage with the Tacoma, 8 mpg no matter what I do.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:11 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09busaman View Post
I wish I got that mileage with the Tacoma, 8 mpg no matter what I do.
8 MPH, for the size and weight of your trailer is brutal! There are 30 foot RV's with 350 v8's that get 10-12, due to their torque.

Do you have a low rear end ratio...and what is your RPM, at 60mph? SOMETHING seems not kosher... The first thing I would do, would be to run two cans of Sea-Foam...one at fast idle, through the power brake hose...and at the last, drown the motor to stall...wait 1/2 hour...and then fire it up. You should see LOTS of white/grey smoke, until that clears. That will clean your ports and injectors. Then...pour a whole can into your gas, when you need to fill up, with the tank 3/4's low. The fill will mix the Sea Foam...and then run that tank. I'd use the tank Sea Foam, the next time you are pulling...so there is a good torque and larger open throttle. Between the two, your entire fuel delivery system will be cleaned and tuned. I'd also pull two spark plugs and see what color the tip insulators are...if they are pale brown (cream) you are good to go...no problem there...but if they are dark brown, to almost black, (check the plugs BEFORE you treat with Sea Foam, through the engine, and through the tank!) your throttle body is injecting too rich. If the insulators are white...and seem to have blisters...your engine is running so lean...that it is way too hot, on top of the pistons...and because the white insulator (with perhaps blisters) is showing you that you need a higher throttle, for the engine is literally fuel starving...and that can certainly drop your MPG, into the toilet. I'd check the plugs...and then apply the Sea Foam. Hope that might help.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
8 MPH, for the size and weight of your trailer is brutal! There are 30 foot RV's with 350 v8's that get 10-12, due to their torque.

Do you have a low rear end ratio...and what is your RPM, at 60mph? SOMETHING seems not kosher...
I think it's just the nature of the beast with small gasoline engines, and a bit of owner honesty (not exaggerating mileage.)

Rear end ratios matter little in the days of 10 speed transmissions, but whatever the overall ratio the small gas engine will need a lot of RPMs to generate the necessary power. Not specific to Tacomas, but 3,500 plus can be the typical RPM range when towing at speed with the small gasoline engines. That's going to suck fuel.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

It does, and the reason I carry the two Jerry Cans is just in case, well that and to fill up the generator. We typically go off grid if we can. We recently starting pulling it with my 1 ton, which has no idea the camper is back there. But only because i have the Kayak racks on my camper shell.

With only 8k on the Tacoma clock I dont believe it is ready for a fuel service, just the nature of the beast, wish they still had the bigger V6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_171711.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	692.0 KB
ID:	174576  
Old 08-31-2020, 09:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

09busaman,
I’ve not found (my) 1706fb yet. I’m here to learn as much about them in mean time. We’re stepping up from a 2018 NuCamp T@b 320 Boondock. It was great for many thousands of miles behind my 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4. But a little small for two and dog after a few weeks. My mileage was between 14.5 and 17 dragging the T@b. Since then I’ve rented a few trailers. My last was a Coachmen Apex 187. About 3100 #dry. I averaged about 13.9 mpg throughout from Tampa, Fl to Red Top Mountain State Park, Ga. I do have a mid rise ARE topper on my truck which picked me up a documented 2 mpg when towing my T@b.
Also Tacoma Manual specifies not to tow in “d”. Tow in “S”. I’ve not found much difference change switch between ECT or not. Just shift points.
Gator Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:50 AM   #15
2020 2108FBS

I had a 2013 Tacoma and pulled a 20’ Wildwood TT across country. I got between 9 and 10 miles per gal. I had several places in south Texas that gas station were few and far between. The manual for my truck said to only tow in 3rd gear (automatic trans). That made it a pain, could not use cruise control because you had to be in drive to use. Also, at 60mph high rpms. My truck also had a towing limit of 6400 pounds. I now have a Tundra large V8 and pulling a 2108FBS.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, I ran a company where we had 37 Tacoma’s. Towed everyday, all day with them. They’ll do it, they’re Toyota’s. But not happy when you get over about half of rated capacity. That’s why my limit of next trailer is a 1706fb.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Egg View Post
Yes, I ran a company where we had 37 Tacoma’s. Towed everyday, all day with them. They’ll do it, they’re Toyota’s. But not happy when you get over about half of rated capacity.
Like my MPG comment above, I think that's just the nature of small V6 gas engines, assuming by "not happy" you mean needing to rev a lot.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

“Not happy” in multiple departments. Reving, constant shifting, soft rear springs, low load capacity and just adequate braking. But... non-towing, best truck out there.

Tags
tow, towing