Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

BLue Ox Tow Package

I bought all the necessary hardware (baseplate, wiring and tail light kit, tow hardware kit, Patriot II braking system) and had a nearby RV service shop install everything on my 2014 Nissan Versa S toad. We drove the RV to the shop yesterday and had them show us how to hook everything up and we drove home with no issues. However, when I disconnected, the toad’s battery was discharged to the point it couldn’t start the car and I had to jump it. I noticed there were diodes laying in the trunk and wondered if the RV shop didn’t know what there were or failed to install them. While moving, we had the car key in accessory mode so the supplemental brake had power, but we mistakenly left the fan on a low setting. Still, I can’t imagine the brake lights, turn signals, brake system and that fan killed the battery in a one hour drive home. Any ideas what the diodes are for or have any other suggestions?
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

This is one that has become far more complex as cars have changed over the years. Lots of things that vary car to car. One is how your transmission works and how you set it up to tow four wheels down. Do you have an electronic transmission that has to have the battery disconnected before towing? This may be in your car manual.
On our focus, we have to have power to the transmission and all the rest of the car off and they suggest pulling the battery cable off, which is not something I wanted to do every time we used the car, but we still needed the lights, signals and brake controller powered!
Our fix was to have a battery disconnect, similar to what the RV has, installed on the car plus a "battery maintainer" installed to power the lights, signals, etc. as it will run the battery down. Sounds like the one hour may have been long enough but that depends on lots of things to consider like how many times do you signal, step on the brake, turn on the lights and things like if the radio presets are cut off.
The problem we found when looking for who knew what on installing this was that RV folks may know RV but not cars and it really takes a good deep understanding and experience to know what parts of the car need battery versus what needs disconnected as there are so many different cars and features. Our install people let us know they called Ford to check what was up as there are many, many weird things.
Like the driver's window that has a program to make it go all the way up or down with one press of the button? That programming goes through the transmission control module and requires battery power! We can't lock/unlock the car when towing due to no power.
Very complex, and I soon knew that I did not have what it took to do the job. We found a hitch installer was right for our area.
But they still drilled a number ten screw down through a relay when mounting the battery maintainer! Missed all the important stuff but I had a real question when I wanted to take the cover off the fuse panel as the maintainer, fuse panel cover and relay were all screwed together!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The diodes protect the original electronics from feedback.

When I had my Saturn, and now my MKX I have had times when the battery was below cranking amps when we stopped. I'd plug in a charger I had to the pedestal and while I was setting up it would charge enough to start. Drove me crazy.

It seems to happen in hilly country or mountainous country, especially since I leave my jake(exhaust) brake on.

How old is the battery?

I now carry a lithium battery jump start. They are about the size of a couple decks of cards, USB re-chargeable and work well. First time I saw one in action I said, "You're kidding me!" but it worked well.

Lithium Jump Start Example.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
Site Team

You do not have to have the key in the ON position to power your braking system. You can have your 12v plug rewired to be hot all the time, not just when the key is ON. Keeping the key ON uses a lot of your battery's power and will cause the battery to die, as you've seen. Plus, it's bad for your Car's computer and other systems, as well.

On our Lincoln MKX we found that the 12v plug worked with the car off - but found that after 20 mins the power was automatically cut. As a temporary fix, we ran a separate pair of wires with a 12v receptacle directly from our battery. We store it under the hood of the car and to use it, we pop the hood and string this aux 12v receptacle in through the drivers door. Our intention was to make this a temporary fix, but we've used it now for years and it works great.

One other back up is to do as Wayne suggests and carry a supplementary jump charger. We don't do that but always carry a set of long jumper cables. We've only needed it once but it did come in handy.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Where this story begins to get difficult is that there are many different ways for different cars to operate. We are way past when we could look under the hood and see what was there and know what the electronics are doing.
While a set of jumper cables can be good for getting the car started again, what happens while towing the car and the battery goes dead? Different cars and different wiring will have a different answer but some things to consider is what is powering the lights and turn signals on the tow car, what happens to the toad brakes if the power to them goes dead and how long before this happens?
We did not want to run down the road and wonder if we had turn signals and lights on the tow car or can we drive another hundred miles before they go out. The idea that the brake system may stop working was not something we wanted to wonder about, so we bit the bullet and let the pros do this one as we DO know what happens if we get hit and the lights were not on! The idea that the car might in some odd way come off and become a runaway without any brakes was just not something we wanted to consider.
Some things just have to be done right or not done at all.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My Chev Equinox requires the key to be in the on position. I use a trickle charger to keep the battery charged while towing. https://rvibrake.com/collections/flat-towing-products
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHarrin View Post
I bought all the necessary hardware (baseplate, wiring and tail light kit, tow hardware kit, Patriot II braking system) and had a nearby RV service shop install everything on my 2014 Nissan Versa S toad. We drove the RV to the shop yesterday and had them show us how to hook everything up and we drove home with no issues. However, when I disconnected, the toad’s battery was discharged to the point it couldn’t start the car and I had to jump it. I noticed there were diodes laying in the trunk and wondered if the RV shop didn’t know what there were or failed to install them. While moving, we had the car key in accessory mode so the supplemental brake had power, but we mistakenly left the fan on a low setting. Still, I can’t imagine the brake lights, turn signals, brake system and that fan killed the battery in a one hour drive home. Any ideas what the diodes are for or have any other suggestions?
I agree the fan on low and operating the supplemental brake system should not have drained the battery is an hour or so.

-- Any chance the battery is the original (6-7 years old), or the battery was replaced 3-4 years ago? If so you could have weak battery. An old battery in a car will work fine even though it is pretty weak because it gets recharged very quickly after starting the engine.

-- In the owners manual there should be a procedure to follow for towing 4 wheels down. Is that all you are supposed to do, is to turn the ignition switch to accessory?
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I checked the toad manual again and it doesn't say to turn on the accessory switch. Only to start the engine and let it run in neutral for two minutes every 500 miles. I was reading all the instruction manuals that came with the Blue Ox kits and it sounds as though the installers were supposed to drill a 1" hole in the rear brake light assemblies to install additional bulbs that are powered by the RV (don't know if they did). I'm quite sure the regular bulbs would also turn on when the supplemental brake system pushed on the pedal. I know they didn't install the four diodes because they're sitting in my hand. Doesn't the ignition need to be unlocked so the front wheels track with the RV (turn left and right when the RV turns)? I bought one of those supplemental jump chargers. Pretty cool. Could I plug the supplemental brake system into that instead of the car's cigarette lighter?
Old 08-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Some vehicles don't have a ignition to steering wheel lock. My 2009 Chevy Colorado was one of those that did not have a steering wheel interlock. I just put the aux brake in, hooked up the lights, removed the key and we were ready to go. (Well I did have to put the 4x4 transfer case in neutral.)
My 2020 Colorado I do have to put the ignition into ASSC position to unlock the steering wheel.
You can stop your toad on loose gravel, turn the ignition off and without too much effort turn the steering wheel to see if it is locked. You probably want to go a full turn to be sure.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My 2014 Nissan Versa definitely has a locking ignition that locks the steering wheel. I thought you were supposed to lock the wheels straight and that the car would go whereever the RV led it, but then I seen this video where the front wheels follow the RV, so I'm not sure now. Go about 3:45 into this video:
Old 08-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #11
Site Team

No, you do not lock the wheels. If you do they will drag in a turn.

Tire wear, blow outs. No, don't do that.

What does your owners manual say?
Old 08-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

If your manual does not state to put the ignition in accessory to tow 4 wheel down then it sounds like the steering wheel doesn't lock with the ignition off.

One way to be sure is to test it like I suggested. Or maybe you have.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I'm positive my steering wheel locks. No question about that. If what you say is true about the tires having to track, then I have to put the key in accessory mode. I'm going to test my battery to ensure it can handle long drains...
Old 08-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHarrin View Post
I'm positive my steering wheel locks. No question about that. If what you say is true about the tires having to track, then I have to put the key in accessory mode. I'm going to test my battery to ensure it can handle long drains...
Pretty sure you can unlock your steering wheel in the key position before ACC.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You do not have to have the key in the ON position to power your braking system. You can have your 12v plug rewired to be hot all the time, not just when the key is ON. Keeping the key ON uses a lot of your battery's power and will cause the battery to die, as you've seen. Plus, it's bad for your Car's computer and other systems, as well.

Not trying to derail the OPS topic but on our Lincoln MKX we found that the 12v plug worked with the car off - but found that after 20 mins the power was automatically cut. As a temporary fix, we ran a separate pair of wires with a 12v receptacle directly from our battery. We store it under the hood of the car and to use it, we pop the hood and string this aux 12v receptacle in through the drivers door. Our intention was to make this a temporary fix, but we've used it now for years and it works great.

One other back up is to do as Wayne suggests and carry a supplementary jump charger. We don't do that but always carry a set of long jumper cables. We've only needed it once but it did come in handy.
Sorry but curious on how you can shut your MKX off wen to my knowledge you can not shut it off without putting it into park? I have two MKXs Toads, One a 2008 AWD and one a 2017 FWD and on both the key won't shut off without it being in Park. Am I missing something? I'm going to reread my books for both tomorrow maybe I am....I have a battery tender for the "08 while the '17 has a relay/diode senses when low voltage, will open up and let the MH feed the 12V.
Thanks.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1237dmctlc View Post
Sorry but curious on how you can shut your MKX off wen to my knowledge you can not shut it off without putting it into park? I have two MKXs Toads, One a 2008 AWD and one a 2017 FWD and on both the key won't shut off without it being in Park. Am I missing something? I'm going to reread my books for both tomorrow maybe I am....I have a battery tender for the "08 while the '17 has a relay/diode senses when low voltage, will open up and let the MH feed the 12V.
Thanks.
I have keyless ignition. You just push the button to turn the car off and it’s required for flat towing.

Not all MKX models can be flat-towed. However many can and are being flat-towed. We see them all the time behind motorhomes.

Your Owner’s Manual will tell you if it’s possible. They call it Recreational Towing and you turn on the car without starting it, then use the computer vehicle settings to put the car in neutral tow mode and turn the car off.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I have a 2013 MKX and it has the electronic key (push button if key is in proximity) and it will shut off in any gear. I called Ford corporate office and talked to an engineer of why I have to push the button to put it into accessory mode for towing if the system shuts off after 20 minutes. They replied that that is the way it was designed and to do it differently could cause repairs to be performed.

So, I do it the book way. Start the engine for 5 minutes. Shift from park to drive to revers and back to neutral. Press the electronic ignition button twice. Once for shutting off and second to put into accessory position. Step out and tow. I wasn't happy with the engineers reply, but that is the way it is.

I have Air Force One braking system and in hilly country using an exhaust brake can cause the battery to run down. On a 4 hour trip it will be down enough that the TOAD will not start. Until I get a charge line installed we stop every 2 hours, stretch our lets and start the car and let it run for 5 minutes. Solved the problem of dead battery 99 percent of the trips.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:21 PM   #18
Site Team

Yes, follow your manual. The instructions are not the same for every model or every model year.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #19
Site Team

This is the process for the 2016 MKX:

Quote:
Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle.

If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:
Tow only in the forward direction.
Release the parking brake.

Enter Neutral Tow mode by doing the following:
1. Put the ignition in accessory mode by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.
2. Select Neutral Tow under the Vehicle Settings menu in the information display. See General Information (page 114).
3. Press and hold the OK button to start the neutral tow process.
4. Press the brake pedal and select N on the push-button transmission.
5. Turn the ignition off by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.

If the process is completes successfully:
The N on the push-button transmission blinks slowly
"Neutral Tow Engaged turn ignition off for towing" appears in the information display.

Note: If the parking brake is applied, "Neutral Tow remove park brake for towing" appears in the information display.

Note: Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h).

Note: Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and every six hours (or fewer). Shut the engine off and verify that "Neutral tow engaged" appears in the display before continuing to tow.

Exit Neutral Tow mode, make sure the ignition is on (engine can be on or off), press the brake pedal and select P on the push-button transmission.

If the process is completed successfully, "Neutral Tow disengaged" appears in the information display and both the instrument cluster and push-button transmission display P.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I have keyless ignition. You just push the button to turn the car off and it’s required for flat towing.

Not all MKX models can be flat-towed. However many can and are being flat-towed. We see them all the time behind motorhomes.

Your Owner’s Manual will tell you if it’s possible. They call it Recreational Towing and you turn on the car without starting it, then use the computer vehicle settings to put the car in neutral tow mode and turn the car off.
Ah, we've been mainly towing the 08 so I forgot that was how the the 17 mkx keyless works. Though I should've remembered I use to tow my 17 MKZ hybrid on a tow dolly but I was tired of a dolly so it stays home now. I'll be towing it tomorrow as I'm dropping off the MH at the dealers for warranty work so Thxs
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow