Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

MB Diesel Engine Performance Tune

I own a 2016 View with the MB chassis / 3.0L diesel engine. I tow a 2door JL Wrangler and have noticed the motorhome struggling going up hills. I'm wondering if there is tuning solution for the MB engine that would increase the engine's torque.

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket engine tuning products?
fwpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I’d check with vividracing or green diesel engineering.

If you have a 3.0L they may have something.
Possibly up to 240HP / 450LBS

You may be limited by transmission, you’ll need to figure out what it’s maximum torque rating is.

I’m guessing your total weight between Jeep and RV is going to be 13500 LBS ? that’s quite a bit for that motor and won’t create whiplash regardless.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Isn't it HP that's needed to maintain speed up hills? Minor point, but you need to know what you need to improve to get improvement.

But to the point, the 3.6 V6 Colorado has roughly 100 more HP but 100 less pounds of torque than the 2.8 diesel. The V6 will climb a steep hill faster.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I found this device on a sprinter website. https://www.sprinterstore.com/produc...reaser-module/
fwpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwpeters View Post
I found this device on a sprinter website. https://www.sprinterstore.com/produc...reaser-module/
Would installing this type of device void the MB Warranty? Could it cause damage to the engine?

I have a 2020 View and tow a Jeep Cherokee and I also find that it struggles going up hill. I'm debating whether or not to tow the Jeep at all because I exceed the GCWR by 200 lbs while towing the Jeep.
BadMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMed View Post
Would installing this type of device void the MB Warranty? Could it cause damage to the engine?

I have a 2020 View and tow a Jeep Cherokee and I also find that it struggles going up hill. I'm debating whether or not to tow the Jeep at all because I exceed the GCWR by 200 lbs while towing the Jeep.
I'm fairly certain the answer to that question is yes, assuming MB can determine it was done, which is likely.

There are products which actually change the engine performance, and product that just give an appearance of change (Google Pedal Commander). I think the majority opinion is the latter would not void a warranty, and also that they don't really do anything. It's sort of like having a stereo that the volume setting goes up to 12 rather than 10.

BTW, over in the Colorado/Canyon forums most the diesels that have had serious issues (e.g. a hole in the piston) have also been tuned, although bad injectors can cause those sorts of issues too.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwpeters View Post
We have the Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) tune and are happy with it.

Unfortunately, last I saw, GDE ha been fined and had gone out of business -- possibly due (at least in part) to haters over on Sprinter-Source.com. The vast majority of GDE customers (essentially all of them) were very satisfied. However, there was/is some disagreement as to whether the GDE tune made the overall emissions better, worse, or about the same. It reduces CO; CO2; and HC but it can increase NOx under some conditions. Some Sprinter-Source members focused on the increase in NOx and were relentless in their criticism. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of them reported GDE to the authorities.

As for this particular module, I've never heard of it. There are many on the market. My understanding is that they run the gamut from 'completely worthless snake oil' to 'reasonably effective'. If I were in the market for one I would definitely do my homework.

Generally speaking, the Sprinter Store (TSS) sells some good products but they are overpriced.

Also, this guarantee would concern me a bit:

Satisfaction Guarantee: Tuning modules have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. That is 30 days from the assumed delivery date. After the 30 days, the tuning modules are subject to a 30% restocking fee.

As we all know -- and TSS knows very well -- deliveries these days are frequently delayed, sometimes by a great deal.

Also, a 30% restocking fee is steep.

In the past, I've seen TSS take name-brand parts, relabel them, and jack up the price. One example was/is the anti-sway bar they offered. I just glanced at their current bar -- it looks like it could be the Hellwig. The older one that they rebranded was the Roadmaster, which could be purchased elsewhere for a lot less. My impression was that they were hoping to take advantage of those RVers who do not have an automotive background and don't know better.

I have no idea, but I would not be surprised if the performance module they are selling is available elsewhere for less.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have a 19 View and we towed a Rav4 (3400 lbs) on a dolly to Yellowstone in June and I was really impressed with the power it had to climb in the mountains. Yes we slowed down going up the grades but I could have pushed it and done better but I wasn't in a rush. My normal speed was 63 mph and the worst we did was 45 mph because I was paying attention and didn't start accelerating ahead of time. 99% of the time I had the cruse control on which my Chevy pickup with a 350 engine couldn't do with a 16 trailer. More than happy with the power.
Accipiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine