Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am impressed with the V-10 performance.

I in most cases are passing the semi's not stuck behind them, which is nice to know a gasser can do that.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

keep the hammer down and you will pass everything but a gas station!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
keep the hammer down and you will pass everything but a gas station!
I keep the speed at about 60, but it is noce to know I don't have to be stuck behind the big rigs.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Jeeper View Post
I keep the speed at about 60, but it is noce to know I don't have to be stuck behind the big rigs.
It is nice to have the power to pass the slow vehicals so your not eating their exhaust mile after mile. As far as MPG, my Ford pickup with a 460 gets 7mpg empty or with a load. My motorhome gets 8mpg. Enjoy your travels !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The real fun is passing those DPs when climbing grades and waving to them as you go by.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
The real fun is passing those DPs when climbing grades and waving to them as you go by.
Oh my ! I'm afraid 860 lbs of torque in my 34 footer would be a bit much for you pulling the Yarnell grade out of Congress. Being the good guy I am, I will pull over in Yarnell so you get a chance to wave as you go by ! If you stop I'd even buy you a cup of coffee while yor engine cools down
Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Oh my ! I'm afraid 860 lbs of torque in my 34 footer would be a bit much for you pulling the Yarnell grade out of Congress. Being the good guy I am, I will pull over in Yarnell so you get a chance to wave as you go by ! If you stop I'd even buy you a cup of coffee while yor engine cools down
I thought I would get a quick responce. Against your 330 maybe not, but 300s I can outclimb all day long. Either way having coffee would be my pleasure.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Never towed with it, but we had an '02 Coachman with the V-10 that was not only good on the grades and I was impressed with the fuel consumption. Much better than the 8.1 I've got in the A.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I put the 5 Star tune on mine. Noticeable difference. Going to Utah this coming weekend, should be a good test run.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I in most cases are passing the semi's not stuck behind them, which is nice to know a gasser can do that.
Yep, that was my experience this past August going through the Appalachian Mountains. I was maintaining a speed of 55-60 MPH with no problems! I am very impressed with the V-10's performance!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Yes the V-10 has more raw HP than the Chevy Vortec 8.1L V8.. however the exact same Torque specification, but at a higher RPM, which means, basically.. I can pass you

However... Why are you passing Semi's.. You should be obeying the same speed limit that applies to them (And of course many of them are bending that limit a bit) Semi drivers often get paid by the job.. So the faster they can get this job done and on to the next the more INCOME they receive.. Thus they are always "in a hurry" to get there. The RV lifestyle is not about being in a Hurry, it is all about stopping and smelling the roses.. IF you are passing Semi's.. You can't even SEE the roses.

Exception.. i'd not want to get behind a load of 4 legged go-go dancers (hogs) (Been there, done that, more years ago than I care to admit, and that's one aroma I don't wish to encounter any more than I have to)

Deja Moo: (N) The feeling that you have smelled this ... Bull before.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Yes the V-10 has more raw HP than the Chevy Vortec 8.1L V8.. however the exact same Torque specification, but at a higher RPM, which means, basically.. I can pass you

However... Why are you passing Semi's.. You should be obeying the same speed limit that applies to them (And of course many of them are bending that limit a bit) Semi drivers often get paid by the job.. So the faster they can get this job done and on to the next the more INCOME they receive.. Thus they are always "in a hurry" to get there. The RV lifestyle is not about being in a Hurry, it is all about stopping and smelling the roses.. IF you are passing Semi's.. You can't even SEE the roses.

Exception.. i'd not want to get behind a load of 4 legged go-go dancers (hogs) (Been there, done that, more years ago than I care to admit, and that's one aroma I don't wish to encounter any more than I have to)

Deja Moo: (N) The feeling that you have smelled this ... Bull before.
I believe you missed the point. It wasn't a comparison, it was the fact that these BB engines are very capable of doing the job they were designed to do.
I would be willing to bet that most operatores are not even aware of what a powerband is, let alone how to effectivly use it.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I thought I would get a quick responce. Against your 330 maybe not, but 300s I can outclimb all day long. Either way having coffee would be my pleasure.
It's all in good fun no matter what.
My one son has a V10 in his Southwind and my other son has a 454 with a Banks set up in his Bounder and they both have lots of power and run great.
I know with mine they used the same Cat engine all the way up to the 40 footers. I doubt they would go nearly as well as my little 34 footer.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=wa8yxm;979787]Yes the V-10 has more raw HP than the Chevy Vortec 8.1L V8.. however the exact same Torque specification, but at a higher RPM, which means, basically.. I can pass you

Well, they are close, but the FORD has slightly more torque (2 lbs./ft) and the FORD does have 22 more HP than the CHEVY. Even though the CHEVY engine is 1.3 LITERS bigger displacement than the FORD the CHEVY still makes less HP and torque.

These are the specs for the 2006 Model year from my 2006 Holiday Rambler Brochure, both are 22,000 lbs chassis:

FORD
6.8L 3-Valve V-10 Gasoline Engine with
Electronic Fuel Injection
Engine Displacement: 6.8L/415 Cu. In.
Power: 362 HP
Torque: 457 lbs./ft.
TorqShift 5-Speed Automatic Overdrive
Transmission with Tow/Haul Mode

CHEVROLET
8.1L V-8 Gasoline Engine with Electronic
Fuel Injection
Engine Displacement: 8.1L/496 Cu. In.
Power: 340 HP
Torque: 455 lbs./ft.
6-Speed Automatic Transmission
Old 10-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Here we go. This should be very interesting. My daddy can beat up your daddy
Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=wa8yxm;979787]Yes the V-10 has more raw HP than the Chevy Vortec 8.1L V8.. however the exact same Torque specification, but at a higher RPM, which means, basically.. I can pass you

QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you're addressing me but the reason why I passed the Semi's was because I was choking on their nasty exhaust and because they were moving at 40-45 MPH which I understand with their loads as heavy as they are that is as fast as they could go. As for me I know I could go faster and get home in time and not have to breathe diesel exhaust fumes either.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We are on our 4 th class A and 3 were gas including the current coach. 3 rd and current v10 engines. I agree with all the replys except add 10,000 or more lbs to your rig and I don't think you would be passing anyone with gas.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=Benny367;979809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Well, they are close, but the FORD has slightly more torque (2 lbs./ft) and the FORD does have 22 more HP than the CHEVY. Even though the CHEVY engine is 1.3 LITERS bigger displacement than the FORD the CHEVY still makes less HP and torque.

These are the specs for the 2006 Model year from my 2006 Holiday Rambler Brochure, both are 22,000 lbs chassis:

FORD
• 6.8L 3-Valve V-10 Gasoline Engine with
Electronic Fuel Injection
• Engine Displacement: 6.8L/415 Cu. In.
•Power: 362 HP
• Torque: 457 lbs./ft.
• TorqShift 5-Speed Automatic Overdrive
Transmission with Tow/Haul Mode

CHEVROLET
• 8.1L V-8 Gasoline Engine with Electronic
Fuel Injection
• Engine Displacement: 8.1L/496 Cu. In.
• Power: 340 HP
• Torque: 455 lbs./ft.
• 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
You are off to a good start.
Now all that is needed is to know the gear ratio for each gear in each tranny and the differential gear ratio, all of which affect performance.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #19

We were on a caravan Up through Alaska A hole lot of Motorhomes; The most Boring part of the caravan was waiting on top of the hill for the V10 Fords . Then; at the filling station we would compare mileage. Whoo. The fords were consistant all right 7.5 to 8.5 MPG . when the diesel Rigs 15000 lbs more weight then the gas, Rigs, were Racking up 9.5 average. I let a lot of gas rigs pass me , as I feel I just do a good deed once in a while. It makes someone feel good and they can tell everyone .. I PASSED A DIESEL.. HA HA;;If gas was more power full in pulling the 70,000 + trucks; Truckers would be running them.. I only state the facts,, Life is good. When a 440 CI gas has 300 Footlbs, torque; And the C7 cat (435) CI has 800 Foot lbs torque .. Which one will get you up a hill quicker ???
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
We were on a caravan Up through Alaska A hole lot of Motorhomes; The most Boring part of the caravan was waiting on top of the hill for the V10 Fords . Then; at the filling station we would compare mileage. Whoo. The fords were consistant all right 7.5 to 8.5 MPG . when the diesel Rigs 15000 lbs more weight then the gas, Rigs, were Racking up 9.5 average. I let a lot of gas rigs pass me , as I feel I just do a good deed once in a while. It makes someone feel good and they can tell everyone .. I PASSED A DIESEL.. HA HA;;If gas was more power full in pulling the 70,000 + trucks; Truckers would be running them.. I only state the facts,, Life is good. When a 440 CI gas has 300 Footlbs, torque; And the C7 cat (435) CI has 800 Foot lbs torque .. Which one will get you up a hill quicker ???
Please stay on topic !! This discussion has started out well and I am interested in what other gas owners have to say. Thank you.