Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-12-2023, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Best Small Truck Toad for 2022 Adventurer 29B

We just purchased a 2022 Adventurer 29B which is our first Class A so we are new to all this. Looking to get a small truck to pull. Considering GMC Canyon at 4500 lbs or Ford Maverick Hybrid at 3500 lbs. I know my tow limit is 5000 lbs but can you tell a difference in pulling power and gas mileage pulling 3500 lbs vrs pulling 4500 lbs? Thx
martybhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:06 AM   #2
Just Trying to Help

martybhawk-

I expect you won't see much difference (in mileage or "feel") between 3,500- and 4,500-pound toads. This assumes you have a properly-installed and adjusted braking system in the toad.

Note: Advertised vehicle curb weights seem to be lower than measured on a scale. Also note: Toads have a way of becoming rolling sheds. These points would incline me to select the lighter toad.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

martybhawk, we also have a 2022 Adventure 29b. I pull as a toad, a 2022 GMC Canyon 4x4 Crewcab Denali. Since this is our first motorhome and toad, I have no comparison with other setups. The GMC is very easy to hook up and put into tow mode. We are using BLUE OX tow bars and RVi portable brake system. A noticeable decrease in acceleration is experienced with the toad in tow. I experience a little tail wag with the motorhome. I don’t think the weight would be a deal breaker between the two trucks. My advice would be to compare the trucks and get the truck you like the best.
Mr Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 10:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a different MH, but we are going with the Maverick... when it gets here. I am of the school of thought that we need to try and keep it as light as reasonably possible.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Agree with get the vehicle you want and to mind how you load the towed vehicle...particularly with that nice open and inviting pickup truck bed! Don't have a basis of comparison, but don't have any issues towing the 4,700 pound Bronco. Averaged 7.4 mpg out in the mountainous west, have been over 8 heading down the east coast...have fun and safe travels!
Old 12-12-2023, 06:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I too vote for the lighter towed.. I pull my K1500 Silverado 4x4 with a Lear topper on the bed. When I started I had no intention of hauling anything; but, it happened anyway. With a full truck bed there is a noticeable drop in MH performance and slightly less fuel mileage.
I also notice the added weight when descending a grade pushes the MH more.
So I'm taking advantage of my10K tow rating and accepting the downsides.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 07:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We went with a very common scenario

We have a 2021 Adventurer 29B, and we went with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler for our choice of toad.

This is a super common scenario for RV toading: Wranglers are very easy to get into tow mode, and they are incredibly flexible drivers once you arrive at your destination. On average, if you can't get there in a Wrangler, you probably can't get there.

We went with the two-door because it mostly just my wife and I, and the weight savings over the four-door variant is substantial. There are noticeable changes in performance when towing the Wrangler, namely acceleration is slightly impacted, stopping distance is slightly impacted, and gas mileage is slightly impacted. Not so much as to not make towing worthwhile. I imagine all of these items would be more pronounced with a heavier vehicle - I'm sure you'll figure out what's of most value to you and make it work.

Safe travels!
ZimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

When selecting a toad, be sure it can be flat towed if that is your intention, with this guide you can select the year and look u what you intend to get to see if it can be towed and the steps you need to take to do so. https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...ghy_guides.php

As for the Maverick the 2023 model year shows that ONLY the Hybrid model can be flat towed, but regardless of what the guide says you need to confirm with the manual for your vehicle, do not, let me repeat this do not rely on your salesman for this information
Old 12-13-2023, 01:55 PM   #9
Micro Minnie 1800BH

GCVW should not be exceeded wether it’s a 3500# or 4500# toad.
The OP is interested in small to midsized pickups.
Regarding the Maverick or GM twins, they are two entirely different vehicles. It would be a mistake to buy the Maverick if it cannot perform truck functions like the Colorado/Canyon. The cargo/tow ratings are entirely different as trucks. Depends on what you want to use the truck for other than as a toad.
I have a Colorado with tow package to tow my TT.
I used my Cherokee Trailhawk as a toad.

The Wrangler is a great choice if you really don’t need a truck.
PWRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 03:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
When selecting a toad, be sure it can be flat towed if that is your intention, with this guide you can select the year and look u what you intend to get to see if it can be towed and the steps you need to take to do so. https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...ghy_guides.php

As for the Maverick the 2023 model year shows that ONLY the Hybrid model can be flat towed, but regardless of what the guide says you need to confirm with the manual for your vehicle, do not, let me repeat this do not rely on your salesman for this information
The hybrid is the ONLY version of the Maverick that can be towed 4 down. I have checked the owners manual very carefully. We ordered the hybrid Lariat. FWIW we have a Ford Fusion hybrid set up for towing too. We just want the versatility of the small truck.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 04:22 PM   #11
TheWinndy

GMC Canyon

I went with the GMC Canyon and it pulls like a dream. I love it! Don't even need a brake buddy as it comes all built in with a turn of the button on the dash to disengage the transfer case. Had to have a battery flip on/off switch under the hood and wiring on the front to the Winnebago Vista V10. Pulled a subaru before that but I love having my 4x4 truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martybhawk View Post
We just purchased a 2022 Adventurer 29B which is our first Class A so we are new to all this. Looking to get a small truck to pull. Considering GMC Canyon at 4500 lbs or Ford Maverick Hybrid at 3500 lbs. I know my tow limit is 5000 lbs but can you tell a difference in pulling power and gas mileage pulling 3500 lbs vrs pulling 4500 lbs? Thx
rdbrugger46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 05:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbrugger46 View Post
I Don't even need a brake buddy

Wasn't sure what this meant?
Old 12-17-2023, 07:07 PM   #13
Adventurer 30T

For a few years behind our Tiffin Diesel pusher we have towed either a Chevy HHR at 3200 lbs or GMC Envoy at 4600 lbs. There is a difference when not on flat roads.
Recommend go as light as possible.
Pjkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 11:26 AM   #14
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbrugger46 View Post
I went with the GMC Canyon and it pulls like a dream. I love it! Don't even need a brake buddy as it comes all built in with a turn of the button on the dash to disengage the transfer case. Had to have a battery flip on/off switch under the hood and wiring on the front to the Winnebago Vista V10. Pulled a subaru before that but I love having my 4x4 truck.
A brake controller is needed almost everywhere, there are very few jurisdictions that don't require it! It is way safer to pull a trailer with brakes!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 08:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I like my 2dr Jeep TJ toad. If I were looking at a PU truck to toad, I would look at a Gladiator. Check with the dealer, to make sure whatever you buy, is towable, see it in writing, don't trust a salesman. Also find out if installing a breakaway system, will void your warranty. Then ask your insurance carrier, if the toad is covered, while no one is driving it. Happy Trails
Rixthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, vent, adventurer