Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

best tow vehicle

can you tell me what is best tow vehicle for a travel trailer? i have a micro minnie but may upgrade to larger trailer later. i am looking at ford expedition. what do you think??
giraffenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Not enough info. Will the tow vehicle be your daily driver? Where will you be towing? Best tow vehicle for Colorado may be overkill in Florida. Do you need/want a crewcab? Do you need/want 4 wheel drive? How much larger will your trailer upgrade be. As a general rule, 3/4 ton rated vehicles make better tow vehicles than 1/2 ton chassis, because of beefier cooling systems, brakes and other running geat. 3/4 ton chassis are available on more than PU trucks. Suburbans, Expeditions and some vans can be found in both 1/2 and 3/4 ton versions. EDIT My bad. The Expidition does not come on a 3/4 ton chasis but the Excursion does.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Ha, yeah these are fightin' words for some! There can't possibly be a "best" because there are so many variables.

Since you have a Mountaineer, my first question is if you want to stick with an SUV or go with a truck. My only experience is pursuing an SUV and I found it very difficult as the towing ratings are pretty vague online and in the manuals. Mine has the full set of numbers (GAWR, GVWR, both axles) on the sticker in the door. Perhaps if shopping remote (like I did during covid) you can get the dealer to snap a photo for you, or maybe someone on the forum can read theirs off to give you a starting point. Trucks have all this published in an easy to find way (well, the bigger ones I looked at do).

If you get an idea to get a lighter SUV or truck, don't just ask about mileage on the forum. I'd also be curious about how many RPMs they typically rev while going down a flat road. I honestly hadn't thought much about that, but the idea of roaring over 3000 all day is just exhausting to me! Another thing to think about.

BTW, I looked very seriously at a Ford Expedition and would be an owner except for the carelessness of the dealer who, honestly, didn't seem to give a damn. My other cars were already Toyota, so that gave me time to think about dropping the stupid amount of money for a land cruiser (ha!). I did really like the Expedition, though. It would get better mileage, I'm sure, and it has lots of spiffy towing features. I just wished it had towing mirrors as an option, but I've found with my land cruiser that I can see around pretty good with a micro minnie. A bigger trailer is likely to be wider, though, so think about that too. I couldn't find after market mirrors beyond the clip-ons.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Anything less than a 1-ton diesel truck and you're just asking to be miserable.

Honestly, this is a very old thread at this point. I expect something got purchased already.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
Anything less than a 1-ton diesel truck and you're just asking to be miserable.

Honestly, this is a very old thread at this point. I expect something got purchased already.
Why are you so cynical? Your answer is severe overkill and a needless waste of money.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I was joking. Hence the emoticon.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow