Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Great info in this post and I thank you all. I was wondering about payment for the RV services. C C's OK. Or only cash excepted ? The banks pretty easy to use ATM's and cash Cashier Checks ?
Old 10-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Oops Meant Travelers Checks
Old 10-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #23

Do banks still issue Traveler's Checks? Mine does not. Plus, no one in Mexico will want to accept a travelers check, because the banks will charge a service fee to cash it. (20 years ago maybe this was more common, but today only cash works in Mexico and CC.)

Bring cash! ...You will not have any problems! Just come up with a hidden "stash" location and keep a $100 in smaller bills with you. Taxies will take your US bills, but I was surprise that it costs $15-20 (1-way) to get from The Reef to Puerto Penasco 5 miles away. I thought that was a bit steep. So if you have a toad, bring it and get it detailed when you are staying at The Reef.

Note: The Reef has 24 hour security is just outside of town. It's very safe. People leave items outside all the time, but if the wind is blowing you probably do not want to do that. Steeling is not a problem. Not like in the USA in most places I am sorry to say.

...And only use your credit cards as a back up. I don't like using credit cards in Mexico.

...The Reef at Rocky Point has a website and is run by a large Mexican corporation. You you can send them a personal check in advance of your visit and I think you can give them your CC on line. IDK. I just brought cash, but this summer the RV park was empty due to Covid.

The snowbirds will most certainly fill up the park from Nov-March, but if the Canadian border remains closed this will no doubt effect occupancy. Remember, the US boarder is not closed to Americans returning from Mexico; and Mexico is not closing their board to Americans. So us Yankees don't have a problem crossing the boarder due to Covid.

Also, if you ask me where I felt the safest and protected from Covid this summer, I would tell you that would be in the fresh ocean air of Rocky Point. Plus all the restaurants do a much better job with PPE vs anywhere I travelled in 5 states across the USA.

If you plan on having RV work done to your RV you will pay in cash.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #24
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Do banks still issue Traveler's Checks? Mine does not. Plus, no one in Mexico will want to accept a travelers check, because the banks will charge a service fee to cash it. (20 years ago maybe this was more common, but today only cash works in Mexico and CC.)

Bring cash! ...You will not have any problems! Just come up with a hidden "stash" location and keep a $100 in smaller bills with you. Taxies will take your US bills, but I was surprise that it costs $15-20 (1-way) to get from The Reef to Puerto Penasco 5 miles away. I thought that was a bit steep. So if you have a toad, bring it and get it detailed when you are staying at The Reef.

Note: The Reef has 24 hour security is just outside of town. It's very safe. People leave items outside all the time, but if the wind is blowing you probably do not want to do that. Steeling is not a problem. Not like in the USA in most places I am sorry to say.

...And only use your credit cards as a back up. I don't like using credit cards in Mexico.

...The Reef at Rocky Point has a website and is run by a large Mexican corporation. You you can send them a personal check in advance of your visit and I think you can give them your CC on line. IDK. I just brought cash, but this summer the RV park was empty due to Covid.

The snowbirds will most certainly fill up the park from Nov-March, but if the Canadian border remains closed this will no doubt effect occupancy. Remember, the US boarder is not closed to Americans returning from Mexico; and Mexico is not closing their board to Americans. So us Yankees don't have a problem crossing the boarder due to Covid.

Also, if you ask me where I felt the safest and protected from Covid this summer, I would tell you that would be in the fresh ocean air of Rocky Point. Plus all the restaurants do a much better job with PPE vs anywhere I travelled in 5 states across the USA.

If you plan on having RV work done to your RV you will pay in cash.
More drama than I need on a vacation. I’m out. Thanks for the info though, you’re more adventurous than I.

Travel to Florida, Oregon with a gun....no problem. Outside certain state...you’re on your own.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:44 PM   #25

Right... I had my apprehensions too. However, if you forgot what hospitality is, then come to Rocky Point. And if you RV needs body work or mechanical service, come to The Reef RV Park at Rocky Point... It's an "RV Day Spa" and a great place to spend 1-2 weeks. In fact, I think it was even nicer during Covid, because the RV park was empty... and the condo were full of Americanos! So the town is not crazy crowed. And frankly I did not go there to party!

As for traveling further south in Mexico, I don't see the purpose. Plus Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) is an American Tourist town in the "Free Zone" of Mexico. THere are also many modern condos and a very supportive, appreciative local population and nowhere in the USA do I know of an RV park that measure up to all the service and enjoyment you can find in one place!

Funny you should use Oregon, Florida and guns in the same sentence, because these are the 2 states out of 50 that I feel the most uncomfortable traveling in. (Tweekers, despare, encampments, racial divides, etc.) I know them both very well so don't ask me for more details.

And you know what the safest 2 states are? ...That would be Montana and South Dakota, because all the bad guys no better. I.e., they think every one carries a gun and they would be right. As do I!

So yes, you should not bring a gun or ammo into Mexico, which is why I left my toad in Why, AZ at the "Why Not? Travel Stop." There I paid them $75 for the week, and I put my gun in the trunk. Which is a bummer, because on my first visit to Rocky Point I sure wish I had my tow car with me to drive to town.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:40 AM   #26
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Right... I had my apprehensions too. However, if you forgot what hospitality is, then come to Rocky Point. And if you RV needs body work or mechanical service, come to The Reef RV Park at Rocky Point... It's an "RV Day Spa" and a great place to spend 1-2 weeks. In fact, I think it was even nicer during Covid, because the RV park was empty... and the condo were full of Americanos! So the town is not crazy crowed. And frankly I did not go there to party!

As for traveling further south in Mexico, I don't see the purpose. Plus Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) is an American Tourist town in the "Free Zone" of Mexico. THere are also many modern condos and a very supportive, appreciative local population and nowhere in the USA do I know of an RV park that measure up to all the service and enjoyment you can find in one place!

Funny you should use Oregon, Florida and guns in the same sentence, because these are the 2 states out of 50 that I feel the most uncomfortable traveling in. (Tweekers, despare, encampments, racial divides, etc.) I know them both very well so don't ask me for more details

And you know what the safest 2 states are? ...That would be Montana and South Dakota, because all the bad guys no better. I.e., they think every one carries a gun and they would be right. As do I!

So yes, you should not bring a gun or ammo into Mexico, which is why I left my toad in Why, AZ at the "Why Not? Travel Stop." There I paid them $75 for the week, and I put my gun in the trunk. Which is a bummer, because on my first visit to Rocky Point I sure wish I had my tow car with me to drive to town.
We spend a lot of time north of us in California, Oregon to be specific, (never been to Florida but you mentioned that so I threw it in). There are some tweakers in some cities (Cave Junction), but relatively harmless, IMHO.

I'm glad you have had exceptional experiences in Mexico. Not my cup of tea. Sure, if everything goes right, it's a fine experience, I'm sure. But when it doesn't, you're on your own. Good luck getting out of there. Safe travels my friend...
Old 04-03-2021, 12:06 AM   #27

It's A Good Time To Go To Rocky Point

I'm going back in mid-April for 3 weeks!

This is a perfect time to go, because the park is not full as everyone thinks the boarder is closed, but it's not!

And based on my research, the Lukeville, AZ crossing is NOT... repeat NOT packed!

See for yourself here:

https://bwt.cbp.gov/details/08260201/POV

Today the average wait to cross back into the USA is less than 10 minutes so this tells me there are not "asylum seekers" trying to cross... not like in all the other ports of entry in CA and TX.

On this trip I'm geared up to overhaul my Parallax ATS-5070; and do a complete basement AC service. And like last time, I will contact Oscar for his expert RV assistance.

Anyway, I'm posting this as a shout-out to all of you looking for a great place to camp and get all types of RV work done (body & paint, engine, RV systems, Roof Gutter re-glue, carpets cleaned, wash, wax, AC service, etc.) while you enjoy the beach, getting lunch at the 2 great restaurants next to the RV park, and you can even book a massage outside your RV... in the wind with a beautiful view of the ocean!

And then the town of Puerto Penasco offers lots of things to do. So for those of you who have not thought about crossing the boarder, I'm telling you all... you are missing out! ...Because, those of us who have crossed will go back!

Just email "The Reef" to get a reservation set up. ...Then you just needt to order RV liability only Mexican insurance on-line or you can buy it at the Why, AZ convenience and gas store, for $50 (covers both your RV and tow car since you can only drive one at a time) and you are good to go. Note: I buy the 6 month policy for $110 when I know I will travel twice to Rocky Point in one season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map To The Reef At Rocky Point.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	178202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lukeville Board Wait 4-2-21.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	178204  

Old 04-03-2021, 08:32 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

I read your earlier post about leaving your gun in the toad in Why. Too bad there isn't a bank or other type of secure business that rented safe deposit boxes or lock boxes. That way travelers could lock up items before going into Mexico.

Quote:
I'm going back in mid-April for 3 weeks!

This is a perfect time to go, because the park is not full as everyone thinks the boarder is closed, but it's not!

And based on my research, the Lukeville, AZ crossing is NOT... repeat NOT packed!

See for yourself here:

https://bwt.cbp.gov/details/08260201/POV

Today the average wait to cross back into the USA is less than 10 minutes so this tells me there are not "asylum seekers" trying to cross... not like in all the other ports of entry in CA and TX.

On this trip I'm geared up to overhaul my Parallax ATS-5070; and do a complete basement AC service. And like last time, I will contact Oscar for his expert RV assistance.

Anyway, I'm posting this as a shout-out to all of you looking for a great place to camp and get all types of RV work done (body & paint, engine, RV systems, Roof Gutter re-glue, carpets cleaned, wash, wax, AC service, etc.) while you enjoy the beach, getting lunch at the 2 great restaurants next to the RV park, and you can even book a massage outside your RV... in the wind with a beautiful view of the ocean!

And then the town of Puerto Penasco offers lots of things to do. So for those of you who have not thought about crossing the boarder, I'm telling you all... you are missing out! ...Because, those of us who have crossed will go back!

Just email "The Reef" to get a reservation set up. ...Then you just needt to order RV liability only Mexican insurance on-line or you can buy it at the Why, AZ convenience and gas store, for $50 (covers both your RV and tow car since you can only drive one at a time) and you are good to go. Note: I buy the 6 month policy for $110 when I know I will travel twice to Rocky Point in one season.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:58 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like Heaven

imnprsd,

Sounds like a super great time. I wonder how dependable the work is? I know it has to be cheaper than here. Come to think of it- the work here is sorely undependable. I'd have to get over my fear of traveling down there although I'm aware of all the do's and dont's.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:33 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Thanks ipd. In Tucson now with reservations at The Reef starting this Tuesday. Been messaging with a coach painter down there and he sent me some pics of his work and can’t beat the price. Wil look into other services while I am there for the next month or 2. Cheers
Old 04-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #31

If you are working with Carlos and Pedro I'm sure you will be very satisfied with their work!

Last year they took care of some cargo door damage and painted the back of my RV. Their prep work is very meticulous and they have high standards.

In fact, I was so impressed and their prices were so good, I returned later that summer with my tow car so they can work on it. I also had them re-glue my fiberglass roof seam. (I use ProFlex GeoCel-Clear.) And then I had someone else clean the carpets and upholstery.

Last summer was the first time I visited The Reef. I got the tip from another forum member. However, I had no idea I can get so many RV services all in one spot! ...And no where in the USA can you find better.

Everyone here will welcome you and do very good work at bargain prices!

As for the boarder, the Mexican officials will spend 30 minutes doing pretty thorough search of your RV inside, but on my two visits they did not bother searching the basement area or tow car.

Do not bring a gun or bullets into Mexico! And the next time I pass through Why, AZ I will stop at the convenience store to suggest they should add some storage lockers... so you can store your gun... and take the tow car with you to Rocky Point.

...Be sure to watch for speed limits passing through town.

Note: I understand another nice RV park on the other side of town is called Playa Del Oro. ...Also, when you google RV Parks In Puerto Penasco, you will find all their contact information and emails. And FYI, both "The Reef" and "Playa Del Oro" are run by corporations and employ several people who speak English. And both get high reviews and come with internet.

I have not stayed at Playa Del Oro RV, but it looks like they have a clean swimming pool you can use, but The Reef has 2 restaurants right next to the entry gate.

Last but not least, I'm still checking into the best way to get cheap internet when traveling in the USA and Mexico and this is the link to that information I hope to verify on my trip coming up in April/May.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ce-359718.html
Old 04-03-2021, 02:26 PM   #32
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Isn’t Rocky Point sort of too deep in Mexico for insurance coverage?
Old 04-03-2021, 04:04 PM   #33

Most USA car and RV insurance will not cover you at all in Mexico. Some have a provision for 50 miles over the boarder.

Rocky Point, Puerto Penasco is about 1 hour south of the boarder and you need to get Mexican Liability Insurance (as a minimum) when travelling. Full coverage is much more expensive as it depends on your coach value, but liability only insurance applies to anything you drive... like your RV or tow car. So there is no need to buy 2 policies as you can only drive one vehicle at at time.

Note: I also have Good Sam Travel Assist which is less than $60/yr and...

...thank you for reminding me to call Good Sam to find out about their tow coverage in USA, Mexico, and Canada. ...I just signed up for the Good Sam "Platinum-Complete" for $120 (fist year only at 50% off) which includes Travel Assist, Class-A Towing and roadside, and tire insurance. Note: This towing and roadside assistance covers all my vehicles and not just the RV. The only thing I don't like is that they will raise the cost in the second and out years unless you pay upfront. Of course, you can cancel at anytime and get your money back.

If you are traveling in the USA or around the world the Travel Assist is a medical transportation coverage you really ought to get, and besides the helicopter evac, they will pay for someone to retrieve your RV and return it to your home too!

I did not ask about other RV passengers or DW or DD. Maybe you will need to ask if you call Good Sam at 866-205-7463.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:53 PM   #34

...And I just found out that Good Sam towing with the "Platinum Program" also covers my Harley in the event it needs a tow! ...And they told me they will send a flat bed to pick-up my Harley, and same goes for the RV. ...Geico doesn't do that! They will sell you motorcycle insurance, but they don't necessarily have motorcycle towing contacts with their affiliated tow companies. (Not good if you ride.)

Note: I once had my RV towed 20 miles just outside of Eugene, Oregon. It cost $1000 to tow it to Cummins, and it was NOT on a flat bed. That alone is a big deal. Not only do they need to drop the drive line when all wheels are down, it also means more money spent to put the drive line back together later at the shop.

...Not to mention the problems with putting air in the suspension without the engine running! Consequently, I will only accept an RV tow when the tow truck driver shows up with a flat bed in the future. I learned my lesson that time!

...Same for going to Cummins in Colburg, OR. What a horrible experience I had that time. And wow did they do everything to over charge me! I love Cummins corporate help and technical support, but I really, really would never use Cummins for service if I can avoid it! (Sorry to get off track, but these guys deserve another swipe based on my experiences.)

On the subject of RV tow insurance: IMO, it doesn't hurt to have 2 RV towing coverages, because each one will have their own network of help out there, and they are mostly very interesting folk with a wide, wide variety of equipment. ...And it's that latter I'm most concerned about, which when things go south, then it's the former you have to deal with, if you catch my meaning?

Further, if I ever break down in 100F+ weather you can bet I'm going to call them both and the first one on the scene (with a flat bed) gets my business!

One more comment: If you have a diesel with 2 engine start batteries, and you need a battery jump, you really have to EMPHASIZE that you need roadside assistance from a tow company who can jump start a SEMI diesel truck. ...And I do mean emphasize or you will be waiting 1 hour for someone to show up the first time, and another 1-2 hours the second time if the first guy doesn't have enough cranking amps in his jump pack to get your engine started. SO WHEN IT COMES TO ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE YOU NEED TO BE CLEAR ABOUT WHAT HELP YOU NEED AND DON'T LET THE OPERATOR CONVINCE YOU A TYPICAL TOW TRUCK DRIVER CAN HELP YOU! ...CHANCES ARE HE CAN'T!
Old 04-03-2021, 10:17 PM   #35
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Good to know, allow me to add that, US Auto policies cover 25 miles into Mexico. So if you don’t own your rig outright, you would need coverage to go there, as the lien holder won’t allow you to drive uncovered, and you wouldn’t want to, especially if you needed the gap insurance coverage in a catastrophe and it went poof...
So yes, seek additional coverage when going that distance, as I BELIEVE Mexico also requires proof of coverage while driving in their country.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:24 PM   #36

Thanks for clarifying, and yes, I think most car insurance extends 25 miles into Mexico, but my RV insurance from The Hartford extends 50 miles.

One more point: If you were to ask me: "Do you recommend going to Puerto Penasco in and RV, and do I need to do anything special when crossing the boarder or when I am in Puerto Penasco?"

My answer would be, "Yes, and you just need to bring your passport. And the rest is no different than traveling in the USA. In fact, there are far worse neighborhoods to go to in the USA if you ask me."

The stigma is all about crossing the board, but having done it twice last summer, the boarder is no concern at all. The Mexican official are bilingual and are professional. And when you come back the American Officials will not even stamp your passport. (1 minute of questions and they just let you back in.)

In town the merchants are welcoming. Then need and rely on your business. And their are no signs of "Cartels" or gangs, but you know they are there. Just like they are "there" in any US town.

As for driving an RV, I think that's a good thing. That signals you are spending money and not looking for trouble or drugs, so people will leave you alone and will not try to trap you or anything like that. The grocery stores are open late and when I went inside no one gave me any "stink eye" or anything like that.

And now that I'm thinking about it, it would appear to me there are far more people practicing "common sense" in Mexico vs. the behaviors I witness from people in the USA where you see homeless and destitute teenagers just hanging out. You don't see this in Mexico. And this is one reason I don't go to CA, OR, or WA anymore! ...But I will go to Puerto Penasco, MX so that should tell you everything you need to know.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #37

Looks like I have another paint job for Carlos at The Reef in Puerto Penasco aka Rocky Point.

I scratched my front fender on a concrete barrier while doing a sharp right turn in the rain... in New Orleans.

I guess I forgot to honk my good luck horn that morning. Opps. Voodoo is everywhere, but the good folks in rocky point can take care of this when I arrive in 2-3 weeks.

The Reef at Rocky Point is the only place I know were you can get everything done for may RV... all in one place... in just 1 week... by very qualified RV techs and body and paint professionals... for much less than what it would cost in 3 or 4 locations over 2-3 months in the USA.

I tell you, it's worth the 1200 mile drive from Texas to Puerto Penasco just to avoid the hassle; and during these Covid times the RV park will only be 10% occupied because the USA has everyone "mentally challenged" and locked down. And crossing the Lukevile, AZ boarder is not hard. Plus there are short waits getting back into the USA (10 minutes average), because there are no migrant issues at this location.

As for my fender repair: This is a rhino liner like material so we shall see if Carlos can handle it? I contacted him on What's App and sent him several pictures, and he said he can do it. We shall see.

You know, when I go to Rocky Point I have several projects liked up and I'm busy all week. That's why I call this place an "RV DAY SPA." So you really need to book a second week so you can have a relaxing vacation too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rodgers 3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	178431  
Old 04-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

To All,

Impd is right on. I met with Carlos 2 weeks ago and he gave me a good price to completely sand, paint, redo graphics on my ‘97 Winnie 29. I was supposed to stay at The Reef for a month. At check in as I handed them the payment (not a bad price but not cheap either) the girl says btw showers and toilets shut down. I was a little taken aback for the price. I held back and called Playa Bonita down the road and no such issues. I called Carlos and apologized (they do not allow these painters, mechanics, retailers to go between parks) and am at Bonita now for 6 weeks. I have their guy (Chuy) doing my graphics only and will try the wash & wax guys here on the major part of the coach. Both Carlos and Chuy were almost exactly the same price for a complete redo.
I just added some pics if anyone wants to see a darn nice beach. :-)
Old 04-27-2021, 12:01 AM   #39

I'm on my way to Rocky Point and may arrive in 3-5 days.

Carlos is my "BP&F guy" so I will stay with him, but I would like to read your review about Chuy's work? He's doing both paint and graphics?

Does he do that spray on Rhino Liner (like) product? I scratched my front bumper and 5 years ago I sprayed it with this Rhino-like-stuff that has worked out real good. It covered all the rock chips and I have never got on rock chip on that front valance since I put the Rhino-covering on!

When in Rocky Point, this is a good time to re-glue that roof radius too! I think I paid $250 and I supplied the mineral spirits and Geocell ProFlex clear sealant (2-3 tubes)... and bring plastic scraping tools and razor blades... and gloves! ...This job took 5-6 hours, but they also glued and screwed the front cap over the drivers side window.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:26 PM   #40

Carlos Hernandez and Pablo came thru for me again.

Here's what they did this time:

* Made my front bumper look beautiful again.

* We installed a Portable 8,000 BTU AC in my cabinet... looks like Winnebago designed it this way.

* Last summer Carlos re-glued my roof radius; and this week I asked him to clean it with Alcohol 92% and then apply come Flex Seal Clear with a paint brush... and it looks great. Why? I wanted the Flex Seal Clear (Rubber) to block the UV rays so the ProFlex Sealant underneath will last 5+ years.

Note: Previously, I was only getting ~2-3 years of use between roof maintenance work; and I was looking for a better solution. Is settled on applying Flex Seal Clear and I think this is a "homerun!"

* Carlos then sanded and re-stained and re-clear-coated my credenza... like new again!

* And he applies epoxy to my engine drop-down-hood.

All for $500. What a deal. This was a $2,000 job in the USA and the weather in Puerto Penasco in May is fantastic!

Today I went floating on my raft, in the ocean, with my margarita in hand; and drifted to Wrecked At The Reef restaurant, where I had chips, guacamole, y tres tacos de pollo! Fantastico! ...I tell you it does not get any better than this...

And tomorrow Omar is going to clean my carpets and tile and do a thorough inside carpet cleaning.... to my RV and my tow car.

You can also get your 40 foot RV washed and waxed for $175, and that includes your rims polished too!

THIS IS WHY I CALL SPENDING 2-3 WEEKS AT "THE REEF RV PARK" in Puerto Penasco, the RV DAY SPA!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rodgers 3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	178970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Bumper Repair - 5-14-21.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	178971  

Name:	May 1-2021.jpg