Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How much fuel, really.

OK, we have a 2008 Winnebago TourTD, the specs say it holds 100 gallons of fuel. I have never been able to get over 80 gallons +/-. (allowing for what could be left in tank of course) I have filled it to where there is only fuel showing in the neck of the fill spout, no foam. Then, I opened the opposite side and it didn't show fuel in the spout. Would there be that much, 15-20 gallons, of additional fuel that would/could be filled in the opposite side? I've never filled from both sides in one stop but it wouldn't seem there would be a need to.
Just a curious ? as 80 gallons is a long day driving! I checked 'search' but didn't see an answer.
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Interesting question. I was wondering the same thing on my 90 gal. tank. I never let it go below 1/4. When I drive I calculate mileage by using 221/4 gallons per 1/4 tank. When I fill at 1/2 it is pretty close to 45. Try getting measurements at filling at 1/2 and see how close to 50 it takes.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have the same year/model and I could make the same post.

I've tried to fill with the coach tilted (ground slope) and it seems to make no difference at all. After a few trips I quit thinking about it. It's a great RV.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You should never be able to completely empty the tank as they leave space at the bottom for junk/water etc to accumulate rather than clogging the fuel system. We have a 150 gallon tank and I've never put in more than about 106 gallons and even then the low fuel warning had been on for about 30 miles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Well Mr_D I can see the point of some space for the 'junk' but gallons and gallons? That seems to me excessive. I've run the tank down, just a few days ago, to very near empty. Scary! (I-40 in Arizona)Still could only fit 82 gallons. I could see a 3-5 gallon reserve but 18?
Anyway, as two-niner said, It's a great RV, no problems to speak of, but this is puzzling to me.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

There could be baffles at the bottom of your fuel tank to minimise the sloshing of the fuel ( and possible crud) when it is low.
jmho
Pat
Old 10-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Be careful filling from both sides at the same time. I too thought that was one reason for the dual fullers. Not. Checking my manual it even stated that. I made a bit of a mess doing that.

As for fuel, I don't think I have ever gone past 70 gallons because I get nervous not finding suitable fuel locations.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmo View Post
Well Mr_D I can see the point of some space for the 'junk' but gallons and gallons? That seems to me excessive. I've run the tank down, just a few days ago, to very near empty. Scary! (I-40 in Arizona)Still could only fit 82 gallons. I could see a 3-5 gallon reserve but 18?
Anyway, as two-niner said, It's a great RV, no problems to speak of, but this is puzzling to me.
I'm sure there is a logical reason for it, I just don't know what it is!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If I get 60 gallons to fill on my Tour 40TD, I'm lucky.

There are some posts from about 2008 about FCCC replacing fuel tanks because the fill spout was positioned wrong. I had mine replaced (under warranty) and it improved the fill (I used to only get 40 gallons in).

I'll have to check my log book but even when I ran it down to the 'Low Fuel' message, it only took a little more than 60 gallons.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Very interesting thread. My Discovery, (wrong brand I know) has an adveritized 90 gal tank. What I have found works for me is to reset the trip odometer after every fill-up. I can watch the milage and know when it's time to start looking for fuel. The most I have ever put in that 90 gal tank is 75 gallons, that took it to just the 1/4 mark. Using the trip odometer that way is an easy way to check the mpg. Because we have made the trip back and forth, from AZ-MI so many times, I know where I have to be for the next fuel stop, anyway, but it's an easy way to keep track.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I get around 80 gal. needed at the low fuel warning and start sweating if I don't know of a close fuel stop. I think it is around or below 1/4 left. I have gone to low fuel alarm once and try to avoid that happening again. The gauge seems to be very accurate and I can guess to within a couple gallons how much I need to pump and can slow the fuel pump down before it gushes back out the fill. I've learned to still stand to the side and with my sleeve rolled up. I suppose I should wear a glove also but I can be a slow learner at times.
I would check with Freightliner to see if they can offer some help.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I guess I should have mentioned that I hold the truck pump fill full on until it is close to what I think it will take and I usually can listen and hear the change of the fuel going in the tank and the first click off.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I reset my trip computer when I fill up. That way I can see number of gal used. If we do not use the generator the computer is amazingly accurate. I usually start thinking about fuel when we use 80 or so gallons. We have a 167 gal tank. Ours gets to the 1/2 full on the fuel gauge and there are usually 60 gals left in the tank.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #14
GG1
Winnie-Wise

There are several posts about slow fuel filling on the Freightliner chassis not sure what years are affected but one of the problems is a vent that was never allowed to hang down properly they were found to be tied up on top of the tank from the manufacturer also a design problem with the fill pipe that prevented the fuel from filling fast. I have the problem on my Ellipse, Freightliner offered to do the repair, if I paid for labor they would pay for the parts. Its still an expecsive outlay they say the tank has to come out, I just slow down the flow of the pump with a fat metal bolt on the pump handle it takes a few extra minutes but its ok with me. What burns my butt is the price of the fuel not the time it takes to put it in.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I always assumed the dual fillers were just so you could fill from either side so it was easier to get to a pump.

We can't seem to get our Vectra full either. I can top it off 20 clicks and still some fill ups the gauge doesn't read full. I really should try to keep track of which side is worse if at all. Can't tell you how many gallons or MPG 'cause it needs fuel to run and we are going anyway so why keep track but the fewer stops the better so I like to get it as full as possible.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
I get around 80 gal. needed at the low fuel warning and start sweating if I don't know of a close fuel stop. I think it is around or below 1/4 left. I have gone to low fuel alarm once and try to avoid that happening again. The gauge seems to be very accurate and I can guess to within a couple gallons how much I need to pump and can slow the fuel pump down before it gushes back out the fill. I've learned to still stand to the side and with my sleeve rolled up. I suppose I should wear a glove also but I can be a slow learner at times.
I would check with Freightliner to see if they can offer some help.
Ditto Jerry's comments. I've noticed that the Low Fuel Warning is very conservative but that's not a reason to delay getting her topped off!!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replys! I guess I'll just figure 80 gallons is full. 500 miles a day is a hard day for me so I'm ready to find a FJ or WalMart and fill back up, rest and head out the next day.
Life is Good!
M&M
Old 10-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Mikenmo, I didn't read that you have ever seen the low fuel warning, it comes on when you have 10%-12% of your fuel left.

I ran my tank down to install a shut off valve to my gen. to make fuel filter changes less messy.

I agee that having the low fuel warning on when you are out on the road is stressful.

I have just also just accepted the slow fueling issue and just get to tank 90% and move on before the truckers start throwing spark plugs at me.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
There are some posts from about 2008 about FCCC replacing fuel tanks because the fill spout was positioned wrong. I had mine replaced (under warranty) and it improved the fill (I used to only get 40 gallons in).

They replaced the tank in my 07 Ellipse under warranty for this reason. I think it was a kind of "soft recall" which they only responded to when complaints were expressed. At least in my case, I think the problem was shared by FL and Winnie. The new tank made a big difference and I can now get the tank pretty full.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

GG1, your last sentence is probably the most important statment of the thread! All thanks to the shysters on Wall Street manipulating the market! The United States has an 11% over supply. There no excues for the prices of fuel where they are, it's a rip-off of the worst kind.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel