Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

We have been in northern Minnesota and now Wisconsin and it has rained for the last two days. I applied the pricy King Dome spray to my newly-replaced dome last week and didn't have a chance to evaluate its performance until yesterday.

I was really amazed to see that there was absolutely NO difference in signal level from a dry dome to one in various stages of being wet (mist, drizzle, hard rain, etc.) This is a rare moment where I feel like I really got my money's worth in spite of the expense

On another rainy note, it appears that my bedroom slide leak is finally resolved It has rained for several hours today and experience with the leak would dictate that it would have leaked by now if it was going to leak. I'll know for sure when we have been through more hard rains, but it sure looks good at this point!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have been in northern Minnesota and now Wisconsin and it has rained for the last two days. I applied the pricy King Dome spray to my newly-replaced dome last week and didn't have a chance to evaluate its performance until yesterday.

I was really amazed to see that there was absolutely NO difference in signal level from a dry dome to one in various stages of being wet (mist, drizzle, hard rain, etc.) This is a rare moment where I feel like I really got my money's worth in spite of the expense

On another rainy note, it appears that my bedroom slide leak is finally resolved It has rained for several hours today and experience with the leak would dictate that it would have leaked by now if it was going to leak. I'll know for sure when we have been through more hard rains, but it sure looks good at this point!

Old 05-01-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sure makes you feel good when you buy something or get something fixed and it works...Be Safe, Jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

John,

Great news on your King Dome. After KD replaced mine it has worked much - much better. It is perhaps as good, if not better than the KVH I had before on a previous moho.

Stay safe

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

John, why not BOW on your Datastorm? We are using Satmex 5 and BOW with great success. We have a KVH in motion dome for which we use as back up in the event that the winds are too great to have the datastorm up.

I am interested in the bedroom slide issue. Do you now have the "newly" designed seals? I am scheduled to be in Forest City in the beginning of June to have our seals replaced because of a bedroom slide leak.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Can't BOW my Datastorm....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ptribbey:
John, why not BOW on your Datastorm? We are using Satmex 5 and BOW with great success. We have a KVH in motion dome for which we use as back up in the event that the winds are too great to have the datastorm up.

I am interested in the bedroom slide issue. Do you now have the "newly" designed seals? I am scheduled to be in Forest City in the beginning of June to have our seals replaced because of a bedroom slide leak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Pat - I have a BOW for the bedroom sat receiver. We use the King Dome to feed the Tivo in the living room.

The bedroom seals are different than what Lazydays applied I think. I do know they removed a vertical trim strip and installed a new horizontal trim strip. When I get some time, I'll take some pictures and put them up on my web site.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I also have a King Dome auto dish. Does it say on the can what is in it or are we stuck with the big price ? I've never put anything on mine, just kept it clean but sounds like a good idea to coat it now that it's a year + old...

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert & Kiki:
I also have a King Dome auto dish. Does it say on the can what is in it or are we stuck with the big price ? I've never put anything on mine, just kept it clean but sounds like a good idea to coat it now that it's a year + old... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Robert - I have no idea what the ingredents are and I'm too lazy to try to find the can. It's amazingly expensive but it does work. I tried a product called 303 and it helped somewhat but not even close to King Dome spray's effectiveness. Since the dome is plastic, I believe that Rain-X is not compatable. Bite the bullet and buy the spray

Old 05-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks John, I'll reach waaay down in my pocket & come up with what is needed.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert & Kiki:
I also have a King Dome auto dish. Does it say on the can what is in it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Contains heptane,butane and propane..."
Old 05-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
I also have a King Dome auto dish. Does it say on the can what is in it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Contains heptane,butane and propane..." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, It sounds like you could run your cooktop off a can of that stuff.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wow, It sounds like you could run your cooktop off a can of that stuff. Laugh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And a few other things too but it does work adn it is worth it.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The RV dealer here wants close to $30 out the door for a can of it ....Those chemicals/propellants sound more like cleaners than a coating for dome...

Old 05-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

$29.95 in Forest City at the Winnebago Service Center....sounds about right Robert.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

Posted this in satelite repair,maybe the King Dome title will get a response....

On the way home from Iowa the sat signal started flipping in an out,so today I cleaned the dome with alcohol and a white shop towel from Sams Club....(don't we ALL have them??)

After cleaning the dome it had this white haze to it,so I went ahead and sprayed the $29.95 KingDome "wonder" spray....My sat sugnal is in the 90's now and the intermittent issue seems to have gone away,but now the dome looks like it has a white haze to it,possibly scratched?

The "dark" sheen is gone....now maybe I'm noticing it since I know it's there,but should I contact Kingdome and get them to send me a new dome?

What did I do different than anyone else?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Bob,

As part of the attempts to correct my King Dome problems a few months ago, I did the same thing - washed as instructed with alchol then sprayed the magic spray. My dome turned gray too and nothing I could do would fix it. It was still gray when I sent it back to them.

Good luck.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Well - sign me up also I was on the roof a couple of days ago and I noticed that the previously shiny black dome now has a mottled gray/cream appearance where I applied the spray

Old 05-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

Whew....I guess the "easy" answer is that it's not broke so I won't fix it as my signal's in the mid 90's.....
Old 05-13-2006, 04:32 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

John
I enjoy your posts. I am in Rochester, Mn. Taught in Antigo. Motorcycle in SD so we have shared many of the same locations. Retired but had to return to work. Travel with '02 39QD will have to wait. Keep reading and writing.