Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2023, 06:57 PM   #1
Racin' and Fishin'

Automatic Transfer Switch Delete

Hello everyone, first post, long time snooper !, We have a 2000 Journey 36l and the ats is stuck in shore power position, after all the posts I have read about this problem, even new ones, I want to delete the ats, why can I not remove the ats and tie the shore power cord into the wires that feed the breaker panel, then tie the genset wires to a 50 amp receptacle mounted where ats was ? If we want shore power just plug into whatever source we are going to use, if we want genset power just plug shore power cord into 50amp receptacle that is wired to genset. Also what is the little box with diodes and stuff that is inside ats box ? Pics if I can get them to load.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2458 (1).JPG
Views:	37
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	185979

Name:	IMG_2459 (1).JPG
Views:	45
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	185980

Name:	IMG_2460 (1).JPG
Views:	35
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	185981

Name:	IMG_2461 (1).JPG
Views:	35
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	185982
Old 05-11-2023, 07:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Don't see why not, mine is like that from the factory although only 30 amps. When I put away my shore cord I usually plug it into the generator receptacle so it's ready to go if we want to run the AC or the microwave on the road.
Can't help you with the circuit board though, I've never looked inside of an RV ATS.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Most ATS problems are owner-created. The manual says to turn off all large amperage draw appliances before switching power sources. Otherwise the amperage burns the contacts and can even weld them together.
Have you downloaded the service manual for your ATS and followed the troubleshooting tree?
It will soon become tedious plugging/unplugging a 50A plug every time you stop for the night.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes you can do that. But, I wonder if it will cost you more to hard wire to 50 receptacles properly so you don't have a back feed situation if both could be plug in at same time.

Sounds like you need a new ATS switch, why do you not want to replace it? If you have a electrician look at, one way or the other you will need a transfer switch, maybe just a manual one? It would drive me nuts to go outside and plug in a receptacle every time I needed the generator. Does your RV have a AGS system?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 05:52 AM   #5
Racin' and Fishin'

That's what we were thinking, we had a 50' race trailer with living quarters that was set up like that.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:01 AM   #6
Racin' and Fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Most ATS problems are owner-created. The manual says to turn off all large amperage draw appliances before switching power sources. Otherwise the amperage burns the contacts and can even weld them together.
Have you downloaded the service manual for your ATS and followed the troubleshooting tree?
It will soon become tedious plugging/unplugging a 50A plug every time you stop for the night.
We always turn everything off before switching power source, have trouble shot and it's stuck, as bigb said when unplugging from shore power just plug shore power cord into receptacle that is wired to genset, that is now mounted where ats was, and if we need power for something just fire up genset, simple, we have to get into that compartment anyway to roll up power cord.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:10 AM   #7
Racin' and Fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Yes you can do that. But, I wonder if it will cost you more to hard wire to 50 receptacles properly so you don't have a back feed situation if both could be plug in at same time.

Sounds like you need a new ATS switch, why do you not want to replace it? If you have a electrician look at, one way or the other you will need a transfer switch, maybe just a manual one? It would drive me nuts to go outside and plug in a receptacle every time I needed the generator. Does your RV have a AGS system?
The only added cost would be a 50 amp receptacle, cheaper than an ats and one less thing to go wrong.
There would be no chance for feed back, only ONE power cord, either plugged into genset OR shore power, when unplugging from shore power just plug into new 50 amp receptacle mounted in same compartment, if we then need power just start genset.
What is an AGS System ?
Old 05-16-2023, 01:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

There's no problem doing what you are proposing; most older RVs are set up that way. My first 2 did not have a transfer switch and instead relied on me plugging the cord into either a receptacle from the generator or the shore power pedestal.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac n Jalina View Post
The only added cost would be a 50 amp receptacle, cheaper than an ats and one less thing to go wrong.
There would be no chance for feed back, only ONE power cord, either plugged into genset OR shore power, when unplugging from shore power just plug into new 50 amp receptacle mounted in same compartment, if we then need power just start genset.
What is an AGS System ?
A brand new Southwire 50 Amp Transfers is $99 https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-4...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I spent about $150 adding an additional 30amp plug off one of my output leg from my 50 amp RV genny to feed my home's manual Connecticut Electric 30 amp transfer switch for emergencies.

I am not questioning that you can do it; you can, I am just shocked that you want to. In the old days they use to go outside and climb telephone poles to make phone call, just because my phone in the house goes bad doesn't make me want to go back to the manual effort was my point.

At best you save $50 dollars, but I still doubt it, and think that you may spend the same if not more.

AGS - Automatic Generator Starter
I asked if you had one because if you did you may render it inoperable if genny was not plugged in your ne w50 amp receptacle. It is obvious you don't have one now; so it does not apply. But let's see; if you owned my RV and you were NOT going to replace a broken ATS and build new plug for either or hard wiring; then besides having to go outside to manually switch back and forth as required; imagine being someplace where you were wired to Shorepower. You have pets or elder relatives in RV and while you were gone the Shorepower goes out, the AC shuts down and that coach gets hots quick. In my coach my AGS would see the power loss and start my genny. My Automatic ATS would see power from genny and none from shore so it will automatically switch. The pets or love ones never even noticed unless they were watching TV.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If you don't mind a manual transfer: https://www.amazon.com/VictorsHome-C...03&sr=8-4&th=1

There are many other choices in different price ranges.
Blue Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac n Jalina View Post
We always turn everything off before switching power source, have trouble shot and it's stuck, as bigb said when unplugging from shore power just plug shore power cord into receptacle that is wired to genset, that is now mounted where ats was, and if we need power for something just fire up genset, simple, we have to get into that compartment anyway to roll up power cord.
circuit board if I recall is a timer delay so the generator gets up to speed before it sends power out. There is a bypass switch on board that in a jam, you can manually start everything after generator is running a few minutes. The board was replaceable when mine failed a few years ago.
Crabbyjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I have an ATS, but, personally don't see the need for it. I guess if you're hooked up to shore power and it's unreliable due to thunderstorms, etc. an ATS can help you out by letting you say inside as you switch back and forth from generator to shore power and back again. Living here in CA, this is rarely a problem. For me it's never been a problem in CA, NV, WA, OR, AZ, CO, NM, etc.

I do have a 30A rig and, if I need to run both of my basement air's compressors, I'll use the generator, but it wouldn't be that big of a deal to unplug my shore power first.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch