Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

First I would like to thank everyone who has any input at all to this forum. The questions and answers have helped me out tremendously thru my journey of purchasing my latest tow.

I do need a bit of advice and/or help. The past two times that I have started the generator while plugged into shore power I have had a problem with the shore power breakers. The first time I was plugged into my house recept. (20amp) and the it popped the GFCI's on that circuit of my house. The second time I was on shore power at a campground (30amp), the generator surged to 60amps and I immediately shut the generator down. After the gen was down the EMS shed all circuits and wouldn't load them up again. I went out to the shore power connection and the plug was a bit warm. After turning off the breaker, unplugging the 30amp pigtail, plugging it back in again and turning on the breaker the EMS loaded everything up again no problem. After that I haven't started the generator again while plugged into shore power. I have it in the shop but they say they can't dupe the problem. HMMMMM. Any suggestions or help?? Anything would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Workhorse W-24
Rock-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

First I would like to thank everyone who has any input at all to this forum. The questions and answers have helped me out tremendously thru my journey of purchasing my latest tow.

I do need a bit of advice and/or help. The past two times that I have started the generator while plugged into shore power I have had a problem with the shore power breakers. The first time I was plugged into my house recept. (20amp) and the it popped the GFCI's on that circuit of my house. The second time I was on shore power at a campground (30amp), the generator surged to 60amps and I immediately shut the generator down. After the gen was down the EMS shed all circuits and wouldn't load them up again. I went out to the shore power connection and the plug was a bit warm. After turning off the breaker, unplugging the 30amp pigtail, plugging it back in again and turning on the breaker the EMS loaded everything up again no problem. After that I haven't started the generator again while plugged into shore power. I have it in the shop but they say they can't dupe the problem. HMMMMM. Any suggestions or help?? Anything would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Workhorse W-24
Rock-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Rock-rocker,Welcome to the forum and the Winnebago Owners Forum!!

For the benefit of those that may have an answer for you I will let everyone know your public profile lists a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 37B as the rig you're having this issue with.

I'm sure someone will come along and have some ideas for you...

Since your rig is still in warranty,you might contact Owner Relations if you haven't heard anything,but I suspect you'll have several answers here real soon...

We look forward to hearing more of your travels and experiences with your Adventurer...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have experenced the same anytime the gen is started while connected to shorepower. I think it is system overload protection designed two prevent two 110V power supplies on one circuit. I normally have to reset the house and MH breakers after doing so.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Shouldn't be tripping breakers in my opinion, if the transfer switch is working....You HAVe to start the generator while still hooked to shore power, that's what the transfer switch is supposed to manage.....Just my WAG, but if you're resetting breakers every time,something's amiss.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I agree something is wrong.I have a 37B and have never had a breaker trip when I've turned the generator on while connected to shore power.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I've had the same problem - tripping the house breaker while plugged into a 20A house outlet and starting the generator. I thought I had done this a couple of times without any problems but the last time I did it the coach EMS surged way up in amps and when I stepped back into the house everything was off on that circut. Nothing was off in the coach but I unplugged the cord and tripped the house breaker back on and everything worked fine in both houses. Not knowing whether this was normal or not, I haven't started the generator while plugged into any shore power since, especially since the coach was out of warranty.
Wagonmster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Your generator is your main source of electric. Whenever you start it the switch should automatically switch, if it is not you should have it checked. You should not lose power as that is what the switch is designed to do.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have owned a MH with generator for years and have never fired up the genny while plugged in or vice versa, why would you do that?

It seems to me that this would not be a good practice.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 08-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have owned a MH with generator for years and have never fired up the genny while plugged in or vice versa, why would you do that?

It seems to me that this would not be a good practice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good practice or not the switch should work properly. Some with perhaps a 20 or 30 amp supply in some places will fire up the gen when they want to use both ACs. Sure you can shut shore power down first and perhaps a good practice, but none the less the switch should work properly.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I'm with YosemiteBobR on his issue - it's good practice not to relyon th etrnsfer switch, but it should work properly and you should never trip breakers or GFI's if the transfer switch is working properly. Something is wired incorrectlyor the switch is failing - get it checked out beofre something really serious hapens. Burning up your rig (or the house) is not a far-fetched possibility!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

My transfer switch works as advertised, and I exercise it regularly.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote