Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2024, 02:41 PM   #1
Ted & Lynne

Heading for the Stockyards in Fort Worth

Heading out on 5/10 from western MA to Pampa, TX then on to the Stockyards. if any of ya listen to the CB our handle is Hanki Panki. I love seeing America thru our big windshield. I am so thankful for the comfortable seat. the previous owner broke it in perfect for us. Not retired yet but got two-week Vaca to practice. i am still trying to figure out a hobby other than roadside buffets. i guess having an RV will be hobby enough for a little while.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:38 PM   #2
Site Team

You mean Fort Worth… yes?

We had relatives in and around Fort Worth and always had a good time there. Great restaurants and world class art museums. Plus the Stock Yards, if that’s what floats your boat.

What’s the attraction in Pampa? Relatives out there?
Old 05-03-2024, 03:53 AM   #3
Ted & Lynne

Family in both places. Since I have have the RV and have been driving we have been different ways. Currently looking for something to do off route 70 on way home. We’re going down that way also so hopefully I remember what we pass along the way.
I guess there are other Stockyards so I should have said that. Some big butt grain silos down that way also
Ted Fyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Can you narrow down what might be of interest? There are so many different things to stop and spend some time, if we can cut the range down, there are likely to be several ideas pop up.
Are you a nature guy or more into city things? There is a riverboat museum in Kansas City but it can involve being in the city more than some like as it sank in the Missouri River way before there was a city there! Interesting to see what was vital as they lived life then!
Aircraft if swinging through Wichita? We tend to like lakes over city, so Knob Noster state park would be a nice place for us, even though off route a touch. If going 44 and coming back 70, I might suggest dropping by Bennet Springs State Park near Lebanon, Mo. if into trout fishing?
The Arch and river boat ride on the "Big Muddy" in St. Louis? Tour Route 66 if into cars and history of the old road? East Broad Top railroad in Pa. was good for me!
So what is your thing? OR still searching for it?
Maybe Meramec Caverns near Sullivan, Mo. if you like those big holes in the ground? That area is one we favor for the camping by itself, even if we don't feel inspired to do much!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 01:45 PM   #5
Ted & Lynne

All good suggestions. Love to see different things so any of those could make the cut. We do have an interest in doing rt 66 someday. The longest yard sale isn’t til August so we like putting around flea markets and stuff.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Route 66 stuff is not one that is big on my list as it was just so normal as I grew up!
But it does bring something of a question as you mention I 70? Is 70 of interest or is going 44 as good? From St. louis South and West is the road that replaced 66 and would be a logical way to look at "some" of the route and still be able to make good time when you wanted to interstate?
Not pressing the issue but one word of warning on looking over 66 is that it can be time consuming to actually trace the whole route! In fact, much of it is now gone as 66 was a very winding twisting road and when they built 44, it was graded and built with the straight (straighter?) route weaving and crossing the old road many times! Basic point can be that getting on 66 and going for more than a limited distance is no longer possible!
A number of the "historic" building are still there and some are in pretty near original layout but it's not a trip to think one can get on the old road and sail down the highway! Unless it is a real high value to you, it may be wise to pick a few points with some of the old stuff, museums, sites, etc to spend time looking at and locating!

But if we can get the right attitude going, that is one of the big things with RV as we can often stall for unplanned stops at unnamed places!
Old 05-03-2024, 03:59 PM   #7
Ted & Lynne

Originally I was taking 70 across to Oklahoma and banging a left to get into Pampa. I think it was 283 to Texas 70 right into Pampa. I now think we are going from 70 to 44 to Elkhart and then into Pampa. The way home from Ft Worth we are taking 35 to 70 then home. I do enjoy flexibility because I have no clue except a large type edition road atlas that only has mostly major routes on it. Yes I have a gps but that will be used if I all the sudden have to be home and run out of sick days
Old 05-04-2024, 04:56 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

When you said "Stockyards" the first thing that popped into my mind was Lancaster, PA I spent a couple of years working up there. At one time they were the largest stockyards east of Chicago.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:25 AM   #9
Ted & Lynne

Wow, never would of thought that
Old 05-04-2024, 08:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

What part of the stockyards is of interest to you? History, the stock drive or other?
I understand the one in Fort Worth is something special but never taken the time.

I got into chasing railroad history as so much of my work got down to running along the old tracks in the area and that led me into looking at a lot of small points about how and why our country is the way it is today!
Part of the development was due to cattle needing to go East to keep them alive until slaughter. Once the refrigerator car came around the need was reduced as the cattle were far harder to deal with than the processed meat.
Lots of small towns grew up just to have a place to feed and water the stock---until you got them to the place to kill them!

History has a lot of funnies when we look closer!
Old 05-04-2024, 09:52 AM   #11
Ted & Lynne

I guess I like the atmosphere. We did enjoy poking around in some of the stores and of course I need a steak at cattleman’s or H3. I am still searching for an answer to one of the signs in cattlemen’s that mentions HEAVY BEEF. Cattlemen’s does not do any seasoning and h3 does last time. Ya gotta pay but if I do one thing in the stockyards it’s treat myself ( at either place ) to an awesome steak
Ted Fyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:11 AM   #12
Ted & Lynne

The Campground we were staying at in Benbrook TX just refunded our money and said the place was flooded. It was a Rec.Gov place and it seems as though the only outdoor Rv camping spots were around Benbrook lake and run by Army corps of engineers. gotta punt
Old 05-05-2024, 08:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Yes, That is not an easy place to live as it seems to not get enough rain and then gets it all at one time!
We have been in the DFW area several times and each time it has either been flooded or near enough that we needed to be gone before noon. The water was low enough to have about 8-10 feet of clear behind the RV but by the next morning the crest had pushed it up to the point water was lapping on the concrete pad!
It worked as we were just overnight there but had we been planning for a week, etc. it would have been a bummer!
I just did a look at Google maps and it really doesn't look good for the whole area at this time as I spot flood warnings all around.
Click this snip to see better!
Click image for larger version

Name:	flood.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	188889

We currently have flood warnings in the Austin area as we got heavy rain but we kind of want it as we have been in drought and watching the water supply go down. When the population goes higher and industry is increasing, it leaves us to wonder why they want more people when we are close to running dry every year??
Old 05-05-2024, 09:29 AM   #14
Site Team

Like many big metro areas there is not a lot of RV parks nearby. Seems you have a bit of a drive to get into town.

My brother-in-law lived on the West side of Fort Worth and when he was going through cancer treatment we always stayed at Northlake Village RV Park. There are a few other RV parks around there due to being close to the Texas Motor Speedway.

Like Richard, I’ve stayed away from the Stockyards in Fort Worth. It’s perfect for tourists from up north, bars and restaurants up and down the road. Plus instead of a twice a day “shootout” in the streets like other cowboy destinations, they herd a few cattle down the street with “real cowboys” on horses.

It’s like the Riverwalk here in San Antonio. It’s a lovely area with beautiful scenery and lots of bars and restaurants. Zillions of tourists from all over the world. But us locals never go there.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:35 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

When you mention "stockyards" I automatically think of my early telephone career and working the "West Bottoms" of Kansas City back in the 60's!
I never got into actually working the yards as it was a duty for a different group.
I DID however drive by close enough to not have any interest in getting closer!

However, it has changed a bunch and appears to have gone in the same direction as Fort Worth but less perhaps? It's now described as a quiet area? Not very many tracks, so I lost interest!

If inclined and going that far West on 70 before turning South, it might fit to visit the steamboat museum and the stock yards on the same trip through?
I've not been to either in many years but I found the steamboat worthwhile.
Link to it:
https://www.1856.com/
And if a trip down to the stockyards area and dinner?
https://www.goldenoxkc.com/
Old 05-06-2024, 05:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Last time we were there Gilleys was the hot spot. A buddy tried to get me to ride a bull but I wasn't that drunk.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 03:15 PM   #17
Ted & Lynne

i going to get on the big bull in the middle of the street. the big fat longhorn and get a Pic. No mechanical anything for this gent
Old 05-07-2024, 04:34 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

How's the RV park search? I got a second hand recommendation last night from a friend. He was up that way and is from the DFW area at one time. He stayed at this place and liked it:
https://silvercreekrvresorttx.com/

He tends to like nice things! But beyond that , about all I know is that it was somewhat handy to the stockyards and one guy liked it one time!!!
Old 05-07-2024, 05:21 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Fyden View Post
i going to get on the big bull in the middle of the street. the big fat longhorn and get a Pic. No mechanical anything for this gent
When I was there they had real bulls in chutes. That was way back when Mickey played there, besides owning the business.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:54 AM   #20
Ted & Lynne

So I booked another site on a different campground and it got cancelled. I ended up back at original place on higher ground. Both places are run by army corps of engineers on Benbrook lake. When they cancel you they don’t offer other sites so I had to figure that out with the help of my niece who camps there often. It’s teaching me to be flexible lol.