Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Giving it a Try

Hello all. Today we made our deal and agreed to purchase a 2016 Spirit 31K. I'm in my 70s and my wife in her mid 60s. We've been married only 4 years, and we each camped with our respective mates in tents in earlier periods.

Since marriage we've traveled a lot on cruises and resorts and touring the states. However, with this COVID 19, our travels have stopped since February.

Because of that stoppage, we decided to try camping again, but in a motor home instead of tent. We can isolate and still see things in spite of the virus!

We're scheduled to get possession of our Winnie on July 2. We'll be exploring all the nooks and crannies, trying to figure out what switch controls what device, and outfitting it in our own style. We're excited about the prospect of hitting the road together with our Yorkie, Taz.

We live in hot, sticky SE North Carolina and will be in search of cooler places to spend time in our Blue Ridge mountains areas. My hobbies include surf fishing with friends on the North Carolina coast, motorcycle touring (have ridden a motorcycle in all 50 states, much of Europe, and Canada. We also enjoy 4 wheeling. I also piddle around the farm on my tractor.

If anyone actually reads this, and thinks of something we really,really need to know before tearing something up (ie. Rookie mistake), I'll appreciate very much learning from you.

Thanks in advance from your wisdom.
Siman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like a great idea for you two; motorhomes are fun.
Here is how I carry my motorcycle on the back of the Eagle5.
Just a word of caution. The most common final phrase found on flight recorders is:
"I wonder what this button's for?"

Ha-ha-ha!
Eagle5
Old 07-01-2020, 02:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It looks like the two of you have a plan. Enjoy the life RVing has to offer.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Nice! I wish mine were possible. My BMW 1200 RT with normal stuff is in the 650 pound range. I may load it on the utility trailer and tow that way.

Thanks for your greeting. Happy and safe travels back to you.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:36 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome! We left the Burlington/Durham area about 6 years ago after a 5-year stint there. That heat and humidity was nothing compared to down here in FL for the summer. This is our first summer here in 4 years as we just got back from a 2.75 year tour of the US to do some much needed work on our house. I'm also a rider (currently on a Triumph Tiger 1050) but it stayed home for our excursion. If you want go way overboard look for a tandem-tow which is basically an extended tow-dolly with a platform up front for a bike/golf cart and dolly for a toad. They're not cheap but man, I wish I'd have had one to take the bike with me out west.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

A point often missed is how much we put at risk when we decide to ignore the advise and travel. We all want to get out and go and we can all work our minds around to saying we are different but both Karma and God have ways to make us pay if we get out of line.
I have kids and grandkids that I want to see but I have to stay home and hope they can go to school or come over for Christmas and me staying sheltered in place is part of that solution.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Great concept! I'll give it a look. Thanks! Safe travels...
Old 07-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
A point often missed is how much we put at risk when we decide to ignore the advise and travel. We all want to get out and go and we can all work our minds around to saying we are different but both Karma and God have ways to make us pay if we get out of line.
I have kids and grandkids that I want to see but I have to stay home and hope they can go to school or come over for Christmas and me staying sheltered in place is part of that solution.
I agree with most everything you post, because you know your stuff. But in this point, if they’re not visiting people, camping is really one of the lowest risk activities. It’s safer for me to camp, than walk my dog with the throngs of people not wearing masks in our neighborhood while walking past us...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE342BD5-012F-4602-958E-5B767DAF0414.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	174130