Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2015, 12:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My 06 Itasca Meridian 36 G is giving me electrical problems.

After driving long enough to fully charge my house batteries, the inverter cannot run the microwave and although the meter in the coach says 12.4 volts, the batteries cannot start the generator. When I hit the start button it just goes click click. If the coach engine is running, the generator will start. When I put a meter to the three new 12v deep cycle batteries, I get a reading of 13+ v.
Anyone have any ideas? I'm really bad with electrical stuff and don't know where to start.
Hawaii Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have the same problem, sort of. But my 4 8D AGM's are the OEM batteries and the case on one is bulging so I know they're going. I've had to start the main engine or use the crossover switch after going only overnight.
I'd start by checking the connections for corrosion, starting right at the generator and working back.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:47 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I would start by removing the cables from the batteries and cleaning all the contact surfaces. Remove the negative lead that goes to the chassis frame first and put it back last.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I would start by removing the cables from the batteries and cleaning all the contact surfaces. Remove the negative lead that goes to the chassis frame first and put it back last.
I agree. I'll add this. There are two, ultra big battery cables that go directly from the house batteries to the Inverter/Charger. The positive cable does go through a very large fuse, on its way to the lug, on the front side of the Inverter/Charger. Do make sure that, all positive cables, connection points and any related connections in the house battery/Inverter/Charger system, are thoroughly clean and tight.

And, while the house batteries MAY read 13+ volts, that doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with one or more of the cells in one of the batteries. A good practice here might be to make sure that they, all the house batteries, are fully charged and then, get them "load tested" to make sure that one of them has not developed a bad cell.

One more thing, Winne and Itasca I think, both use a frame welded bracket, for the attachment of both the house and chassis batteries, right behind the battery compartment. That bracket, can get seriously rusted and corroded and, along with it, all the negative cable ends. Just something to check on.

Let us know what you find out will you? Take care and good luck in finding your remedy for this issue.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Everything I've read on replacing batteries says to remove the positive cables first and replace them last.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Maybe you should go back and check your sources. It is a safety issue. If your wrench accidentally contacts the frame while you're working on the positive terminal, the wrench will be shorting the battery. The wrench could be welded to the frame or cause the battery to explode. Now, if you accidentally short the negative terminal to the frame, it's not a problem. If you remove the negative cable first and then accidentally touch the wrench to the frame while working on positive connection, nothing will happen as there won't be a path to the other side of the battery. And we all know current doesn't flow in an open circuit.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

To eliminate the possibility of a faulty battery try running with two batteries and switch them until all three have been tested.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, itasca