Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #1
BigMatt and Kitty Friends

Getting ready for full-time RV life 2005 Voyage 33V

Hi All,

I have purchased a 2005 Voyage - the 33V model, along with a tow vehicle and blue ox system. I am working on modifications, including potentially dropping a new/re-manufactured engine in to replace the Vortec 8.1L (68k, well maintained, but burning oil and showing some drop in compression).

Looking for all the tips and tricks. I feel I lucked into a very well maintained rig, and got it for a great deal, and am focused on several additional upgrades, that I would like feedback from others.

1. On demand propane water heater - looking at the RecPro RV tankless heater on Amazon for $550.
2. Looking for lithium batteries, and potentially a full solar conversion package. Curious if I can use the current inverter, or must replace it as well.
3. A simple one - I want to put a big screen TV in the bedroom for days I am not feeling well (chronically ill and on disability). I have not seen a sticker that flags a location for a TV mount, but with the cabinetry, I am looking at putting it on the back wall. Do not want to cause any leaks or issues.

Thanks,
Matt
Mattturley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 11:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Matt,
Looks like a cool motorhome (brochure.)
I have the regular 6-gallon hot water tank, and it works well for me. Would the on-demand provide a steady shower temperature?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 09-09-2023, 06:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattturley View Post
2. Looking for lithium batteries, and potentially a full solar conversion package. Curious if I can use the current inverter, or must replace it
Switching to LFP does not require you to get a hew inverter. However, if you just want a newer better inverter, it may make sense for you to get a hybrid inverter/charger. These guys can charge LFP at higher amperage (80+ anmps) and can be programmed specifically for LFP charge profile. Sticking with your old charger won’t allow you to fully charge LFP, and of course, it takes way longer at 30 amp charge amperage. Installation may also be easier, as hybrids have built-in transfer switch. When all costs are considered, They don’t cost much more than a plain vanilla inverter of the same size. Good models made by Xantrex and Victron.. if you have the space, it’s best to go with Victron for inverter/charger, solar charge controller, and negative shunt monitor, because all Victron components talk to each other.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi and Welcome,
The 2005 Voyage has only a 300w inverter which is wired to receptacles adjacent to the TV to power entertainment systems only. It’s not large enough to do much of anything else. Currently, it does not play much part in your electrical system so it doesn’t require changing if you charge battery types. This 18-year old motorhome came with old CRT analog TVs, have they already been changed out by a previous owner?

Keep in mind, unless updated by a previous owner, ALL of the technology inside this RV is also 18-yrs old and quite out of date. This includes the nearly worthless 10w solar panel on the roof. It cannot be upgraded and most simply remove them when adding any modern solar panels to their RVs.

If you change to LFP batteries you would be required to change out your existing Converter, the model in a 2005 motorhome would not be setup for charging LFP batteries. Other changes to the alternator charging would have to be addressed as well. LFP batteries may be drop in replacements size wise but they have specific charging requirements that your motorhome would not be equipped to provide.

The info I read about tankless RV water heaters is that most don’t work well, except for the Truma brand from Germany. By not work well I mean we see folks pulling them out. So, do some online searching for reviews on RecPro’s tankless. Your water heater is an old style unit that actually has a pilot light. So perhaps you could upgrade that with a DCI style unit that rather than a pilot light has an on demand direct igniter??

As to hanging a Big Screen TV on your motorhome walls that would likely be a total failure. It’s not like a home where you can utilize studs or wall anchors for such a project. Hanging photos, posters, paintings with Command strips/Velcro hangers is about the max you can do. Perhaps utilizing the wooden cabinets in the bedroom you could find a way to do this without involving the very thin and very weak wall in the process??
Old 09-09-2023, 08:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hello,

We have been living in a 33v Voyage for most of the last year.

Really the 6 gal WH works fine, I did have to put in a new 110 v heating element but that's it beside Maint. Better money spent was the oxy show head - it works well.

It had TV's in the front and bedroom, took them both out. The new front (43") tv was hung on a sheet of 5/8 Ply sized about 22x40ish inches and glued, screwed to the wall and also covering the lower half the window between the door and passenger seat. it's doing well and I check it after every big drive. The old hole in front was covered with a cabinet door from amazon.

We just took the back one (TV) out and used the back space (above the vanity) for storage also. I assume you could do the same thing as we did in the front by beefing up the wall in back.

I'm really starting to like the 8.1 - it's not a diesels 350hp but it gets the job done. Check plugs and wires - mine were shot when I bought it and it solved a lot of issues. It uses about a quart+ a bit in oil per 2k miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230822_101245.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	187220  
Old 09-09-2023, 09:45 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Really the 6 gal WH works fine, I did have to put in a new 110 v heating element but that's it beside Maint. Better money spent was the oxy show head - it works well.
I would like to second Ken's suggestion for the Oxygenics Shower Head:
The Shower of Power
A good shower keeps folks from giving you a dirty look (ha-ha.)
Eagle5
Old 10-29-2023, 01:04 PM   #7

Thanks for the detailed reply - that I just saw.

As I have researched and worked on the RV, all of what you said is true to what my research has found.

Luckily all the issues I was concerned about weren’t issues. The engine checked out fine, needed spark plugs and wires and added the heat shields to the wires. Driver AC that wasn’t working was only a charge issue. Once charged they filled it with dye and looked for leaks and didn’t find any. The only system that needs replaced is the leveling/stabilizing system (see my post from yesterday - theirs forum helped me find information I had been looking for for a week and a half.

All this means I have the funds to do a full solar conversion correctly, with new batteries part of the install.
Old 10-29-2023, 01:10 PM   #8

Thanks - yes, the plugs and wires were an issue - changed and the engine is checking out just fine after regular maintenance.

I would be very interested in the cabinet door used to cover the front TV location. Previous owner had put in a wooden bracket and mounted a very cheap 42” TV on that. I kept bashing my head on it when getting out of the drivers seat, so it is now gone!

What I am thinking now is in the closet at the foot of the bed, there are two doors that open to a center support. Thinking I will remove that, build a wooden frame attached to the cabinet frame and floor. This will still allow me to store things behind it, even hang things if needed. Close the two doors and the TV is hidden. Open them, and use the mount to pull the TV out - perfect location at foot of bed. Particularly if I get an adjustable bed frame topper and mattress to put on the current wooden platform.
Old 10-29-2023, 02:09 PM   #9

Can you share a picture of how you have mounted your TVs?

Tags
voyage