Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2021, 05:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

faded front cap

i have a 2017 Class C Minnie Winnie 26A which looks like it just cane off the lot except..... the top part of the brown cab-over cap is faded/oxidized. It seems like the material is plastic. Any advice about how to restore it to its former glory?
tperschb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Tperschb,
Perhaps a product like this?
Meguiar's M4916 Marine/RV Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover
Welcome to the Forum.
Eagle5
Old 05-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #3
Minnie Winnie 26A

Faded cap

I also have a 26A, I also have a faded cap. So have most of t he other ones I see. I have been told it was a screwup by the company that manufactures those for W-bago and a couple of other people. I have used rubbing compound (only once), then Finesse polishing compound, then a cleaner wax and finally a good wax. Always with a high speed buffer. With a lot of work you can make it look new. But then it also takes upkeep.

Another owner told me he contacted Winnebago and they offered to split the cost of painting 2 part Urethane paint on it. He said his share was $3000 and he passed on it.

Hope you enjoy your as much as I enjoy mine. PM me if you ever want to discuss things I have done, which is a lot. I have 32K on mine.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The dark brown gelcoat front cap on my 2015 Winnebago Vista faded as well, and this was a quick fix that worked for me ...

I am scared of trying to use a buffer to try to buff down thru the gelcoat to unoxidized finish which seems to be the longer term answer from what I have read, and making things worse if I remove too much of the gelcoat material.

I lightly sprayed WD40 on a microfiber cloth and rubbed the gelcoat to a uniform dark color, then wiped with a clean microfiber cloth to remove all surface residue of the lubricant. This either removes the oxidized surface layer or at least treats the discoloration of it.

Then, I applied NuFinish One Step Polish, a wax free coating product, to a microfiber cloth and rubbed it into the gelcoat and buffed off excess with another clean microfiber cloth. This seems to seal the now dark again surface layer and keep it from returning to the discolored oxidized state.

I expect it will be a temporary fix that I will have to refresh at least once or twice a year. But it makes it look good for a season.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front cap