Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Play the 'Match the faded fiberglass game'....

..for which there seems no winner.

What lurks under decal stripes and top of metal surfaces is pretty much what we could all call White - very likely what the fiberglass body panels looked like years ago. The painted metal bits simply chalk and their fasteners rust with age, but a little soda blasting and change of screws take care of the rust - not their color.

But, since it would be near impossible to resuscitate the original white gel coat or fiberglass finish, it would be a lot easier to shoot the metal bits like the bottom rail, door frame, and other pieces that overlay the body ..to match the body panels.

Finding a color match is another thing. It seemed easy to go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy some off-white. You can see the two 'creams' I got are too yellow. I tried different primer to no effect. When next to these Creams the old body has a green cast.

In an Ah-Ha! moment, I pulled out a Pantone printing ink color guide. Not thinking that folks don't much print white ink, or shades thereof...?

I got pretty close with some off-white envelopes. My next trip will be to the auto paint store where they have all the colors. There's a place, automotivetouchup.com, that can make you commercial quality, 12oz spray of any known auto color.

I had them make me a can of a fancy Mercedes gray ...as all the different material parts below the beltline have also faded to different colors. It's cheaper to test with an aerosol before you commit to a big job.

If you've found a system that works, please share.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paint1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	719.2 KB
ID:	169719   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	592.9 KB
ID:	169720  

Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't have any experience with painting RVs, but I'll be interested to see how you progress.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Wetstuff,

Most good auto paint shops will have a matching scanner. You could take the coach to the paint shop and they will match it. That what I did with mine when I had to replace a couple of cargo doors. The match was perfect. The better paint shops can also mix up a spraycan.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Mc. I've got two closeby. I'll ask if they have a gun. I usually just walk in with the code or look at their books. Great idea.

Sarah, Watch the depreciation curve and bail before it becomes a cliff. You probably won't need to do any painting. I'm in the weeds with this one. (no complaints mind you - 'I make things' so this is just another project) Thanks.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
Sarah, Watch the depreciation curve and bail before it becomes a cliff. You probably won't need to do any painting. I'm in the weeds with this one. (no complaints mind you - 'I make things' so this is just another project) Thanks.

Jim
"Depreciation curve?" We fell off that cliff as soon as we drove off the lot with our moho six years ago!! And no, we won't be painting unless we have some kind of damage to the finish. We have full body paint and covered storage so thankfully it still looks good.

I'll be interested in hearing how your project goes so please document for us.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #6

I’ve only seen two or three home RV paint jobs that were well done. It’s hard!
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote