Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2024, 09:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Bringing Home New 2023 Micro Minnie 2108TB!

Hello,
My husband and I just purchased a 2023 2108TB. We will bring it home later this week. We had a Lance truck camper a few years ago and enjoyed camping across the country. Just found that camper to be just too much, however. We are looking forward to trying out the trailer--but one big reason we went this direction was to live in it off and on while we build a new house. I'm excited to learn all the tricks to camping in the Micro Minnie! Wish us luck!
cbuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 10:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Congrats and good luck!

Even though you owned a truck camper previously we find a lot of folks don't fully understand the "closing" chores you must be prepared for before signing for the purchase.

Many expect that the dealer has gone through the TT and found and fixed any issues before you arrive. FIRST MISTAKE! The dealer will do as little as absolutely possible before you drive your TT off the lot. They may tell you they've done this and that. Don't believe them. Not without absolute first hand proof.

Another huge mistake people make is to either rush the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) or let the dealer rush this process. Either way a rushed PDI is the kind of thing you'll regret for as long as you own this TT.

You must test everything, and I do mean everything on the PDI - never assume that the most basic things work unless you've actually seen it work. And don't let the dealer provide an excuse of why something can't be tested to show it works.

I can't give you a list of what to check on a PDI - but there are many online just search for "travel trailer pre-delivery inspections." Watch YouTube videos.

One final word of caution - do not sign for, pay for or drive off with a trailer that does not pass a lengthy detailed inspection perfectly. When issues are found, and there should almost always be issues discovered, stop the sale until the issue is fixed, replaced, tested and proven to now work perfectly.

Be prepared, no matter how perfect the TT is, no matter how great the price is, or how nice the sales person is to walk away from a TT with problems or other dealer issues. When you really want THAT travel trailer and you want it now the dealer has you exactly where he wants you.

Before you buy your dealer will be your best friend. They will tell you "don't worry, even if it's broke now we'll fix it later... now sign here." That too is a lie. Once you pay for and drive off with the TT the dealer will totally forget you exist. And should you return a week later with something not right, tough. It will now be "get in line we can see you a month from now if you're lucky."

We routinely see people that don't follow these "commandments" and they arrive here at the forum distraught and crestfallen. A common refrain is, "I just didn't know."

Sorry to be a total downer - I'm just trying to saving you the hassle.

PS. Just like when buying a new car - don't buy or pay for any "extended warranties," paint, fabric or tire protection or any other crazy addons the dealer can tack on. If they've given you a few thousand dollar discounts they will work hard to recover every penny from you in additional add ons.
Old 02-17-2024, 02:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

... agreeing with creativepart 100%.

I don't think he was being a downer; IMO he is being realistic. That PS is golden.

That said, we have the same trailer and enjoy it. I have made some interior mods that make it more comfortable, but didn't have to do much.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Welcome @cbuski.

Follow Creativepart’s advice explicitly.

You are paying for the PDI. Don’t rush through it. If it takes less than 45 minutes, you’re rushing it. Make the dealer turn on every single thing in the trailer to demonstrate that it works. That includes, but not limited to hot water heater, fridge, microwave, outlets, tv/stereo, all plumbing fixtures, shore power hookup, battery test, every stinkin light in the trailer, dump valves functioning, propane full, emergency brakes, water pump, awning, slide, tire pressure and condition, jacks and cranks, A/C, furnace, tank heaters, converter/charger. I’m sure I’m missing something here, but if you make a list, you’re less likely to forget something. Don’t take dealer’s word for these things, check them yourself: condition of caulking and sealant on the roof. Get up there and inspect. Hitch set up. There’s plenty on the forum about correct hitch set up, but at least ensure the hitch coupler is 1/2” above the ball when the trailer is level. If not, adjust ball height accordingly, and ensure that WDH brackets are at the right height such that you need to jack the tongue up at least 2-3” in order to easily engage them. If they engage easily when you drop the coupler on the ball, it ain’t right. Make sure all the manuals for every device are in the pouch.

Lastly, on the first night, camp somewhere close to the dealer in case you have to take your trailer back for something important. We had a few things not work or break the first night, but we didn’t turn back. You can fix little stuff yourself with less hassle and aggravation.

Happy trails.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Here's the kind of sad stories we hear here all the time.

The dealer set the pickup time, or I had to set the pickup time late in the day and they closed in an hour and then doing the paperwork it took a long time and we had to cut the PDI really short.

They didn't have shore power available to test out the A/C and such.

They didn't have propane available to test out LP appliances.

I tested the fridge on A/C but not on propane.

I tested everything when the TT was plugged into shore power so I didn't know the battery was near dead until we drove away.

I don't know where the water pump is and we don't have water.

I don't know how or where to add water to the fresh tank. OR I don't know how to hook up to city water. Or worse yet, I connected the city water to the black tank flush and overflowed my black tank and toilet.

All the electricity in the RV stopped working and the dealer didn't show me the master fuse under the trailer A-frame.

These are just the few things we see here all the time.

The very worst experiences are owner caused - "I had to pick up my trailer after work, so the PDI was cut short. Then we left in a hurry to get to our home 300-miles away so we could put the TT away for the winter before the snow flies. Now that winter's over I don't know how to work anything and I can't seem to get things to work. I called the dealer but he can't help me without bringing it back to them and leaving it for a couple of months."

What you want to do in your PDI is to avoid ALL of these kinds of regrets. And as Jim said above, camp the first night within a few miles of the dealership and be prepared to return the next day for both corrections and additional training.