Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Vita 24P

Back to Motorhome big time

Well, after using a travel trailer for 15 years, wife and I purchased a new Sprinter Vita m24p Class C motorhome. It is so exciting and kind of scary, no more backing up the 28 foot travel trailer with my F150. Now its a breeze backing this 24 foot Mercedes Sprinter chassis Winnebago Class C. Easier to drive than my F150, but yes quite tall.
Now on to spending money like a drunken sailor with mods....Already ordered suspension stuff to make this truck more stable. Love mods, just cant let the old man in. Look forward to this journey with a diesel and hit the countryside. Two cats, wife, and a crazy old man.
lenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My wife put her foot down and wanted a motorhome over a travel trailer when we decided to get our own RV. We rented several RVs to see what we liked/didn't like before we narrowed down what was important to us. I wanted a travel trailer but am glad that we went with a Class C Aspect 30J. Lots of advantages and so much more simplicity as you've described. Choosing a Class C allowed me to still be able to work on most things without having to extensively educate myself on something I wasn't familiar with. Don't get me wrong, I am still learning but find that I can fix just about everything that has been thrown at us.

Have fun on your journey! We are!

Al
Old 10-27-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Vita 24P

Ok, where should my shakedown take place to figure this new rig out. I live in Sacramento area, but with all the fires not sure where to go. Already added sumo springs, and Hellig stabilizer bar on the rig. Put vent covers on so I can leave them open while going down the road, next need a real fan in the bathroom. the list goes on. So looking for answers to take a quick shakedown trip, I assume near by to get the feel of everything.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:19 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
Ok, where should my shakedown take place to figure this new rig out. I live in Sacramento area, but with all the fires not sure where to go. Already added sumo springs, and Hellig stabilizer bar on the rig. Put vent covers on so I can leave them open while going down the road, next need a real fan in the bathroom. the list goes on. So looking for answers to take a quick shakedown trip, I assume near by to get the feel of everything.
I'd say, take it out to Desert Hot Springs....use to go there all the time...and you can also shake down your air-conditioning system, and make sure condensate does not drip down from the unit, also that your engine thermostat is good, and your tranny stays within temp parameters. That is a good place to check all of that....also bring your golf clubs...for a storage locker 'check'. This will also let you see how your 'fridge can handle California Summer temps...to stay around 40 F.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Vita 24P

well took a trip to Cabellas in Boomtown of Reno. Man that rig drives so nice, Stopped and turned on inverter and found first failure. INverter is dead, tries to come on than dies into a fault, and turns itself off. Without inverter I have no refrigerator as it runs on 110 V while going down the road. Everything works fine with shore power or generator. Arghhh. La Mesa says sorry your first appt. is not until November 17 and so without generator or shore power my long trips are cancelled. I contacted Winnebago and they are looking for a inverter and will ship to me. I can fix everthing myself, am so tempted to buy one on Amazon and get me going. At this point just thinking. PS I called manufacturer of inverter and we trouble shoot it and It is definitely dead. Took it out and on the bench with no load, same failure. Made by Magnum.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Site Team

Many times the manufacturer of the part will simply handle the replacement - no dealer or Winnebago needed. The first week we had our motorhome the "infotainment/gps" Core Unit failed. I called Riverpark and they shipped me a new one directly for me to install. I just had to send the failed unit back within 30-days. Easy Peasy.

Won't Magnum do that for you?
Old 11-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Many times the manufacturer of the part will simply handle the replacement - no dealer or Winnebago needed. The first week we had our motorhome the "infotainment/gps" Core Unit failed. I called Riverpark and they shipped me a new one directly for me to install. I just had to send the failed unit back within 30-days. Easy Peasy.

Won't Magnum do that for you?
Yes but they wanted a $500 deposit with my card.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Yes but they wanted a $500 deposit with my card.
Which they'll refund as soon as they receive the defective unit back. That's fair and easy. Better than waiting for WBGO or your Dealer.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Which they'll refund as soon as they receive the defective unit back. That's fair and easy. Better than waiting for WBGO or your Dealer.
Have you had to do this in the past?
Old 11-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Have you had to do this in the past?
Sure, it’s standard procedure for stuff like this. Some charge the credit card and then return the amount once they receive the defective unit, while others just hold the credit card number as assurance that you’ll live up to your side of the bargain.

I had to do this with the Xite Core Unit I mentioned above. It was $1,200.

Tags
motorhome