Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Hi everyone...we are back from Disney's Fort Wilderness and we had a GREAT time. I posted daily reports over on the Disney camping message boards if anyone wants details about the campground.Hi everyone...we are back from Disney's Fort Wilderness and we had a GREAT time. I posted daily reports over on the Disney camping message boards if anyone wants details about the campground.

For this board I thought I would stick to information about the Winnebago. Everything went very smoothly. No problems pulling the minivan with the kar kaddie. We were able to get two pull through sites on the way down there and we didn't even have to unhook. I also spent some time driving so I could get used to it. I was much more nervous with the additional length but it went ok. We hit alot of wind on the way down there and that slowed us down some.

On the way back home we hit rain in TN and KY and we kept losing the generator power. The kids like to watch tv and use my laptop. When we stopped for the night it ran just fine. We looked under the coach and it doesn't appear there is anything to stop the water off the road from coming up at the generator and thought maybe that was the problem ??

And we also got this mysterious triangle shaped rip in the back of the driver's seat fabric about 3 inches from the top. There isn't anything on the slide that would have made a mark like that even if it did somehow rub up against it(which it doesn't). We have no idea what happened. I'm not sure what to do to stop it from spreading...a patch maybe ??

There isn't anything we can think of that we need to take it back to the dealer for, other than the generator issue which Chad is going to call about tomorrow.

We really love the layout and it worked well for our family of five...and our dog too. </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Hi everyone...we are back from Disney's Fort Wilderness and we had a GREAT time. I posted daily reports over on the Disney camping message boards if anyone wants details about the campground.Hi everyone...we are back from Disney's Fort Wilderness and we had a GREAT time. I posted daily reports over on the Disney camping message boards if anyone wants details about the campground.

For this board I thought I would stick to information about the Winnebago. Everything went very smoothly. No problems pulling the minivan with the kar kaddie. We were able to get two pull through sites on the way down there and we didn't even have to unhook. I also spent some time driving so I could get used to it. I was much more nervous with the additional length but it went ok. We hit alot of wind on the way down there and that slowed us down some.

On the way back home we hit rain in TN and KY and we kept losing the generator power. The kids like to watch tv and use my laptop. When we stopped for the night it ran just fine. We looked under the coach and it doesn't appear there is anything to stop the water off the road from coming up at the generator and thought maybe that was the problem ??

And we also got this mysterious triangle shaped rip in the back of the driver's seat fabric about 3 inches from the top. There isn't anything on the slide that would have made a mark like that even if it did somehow rub up against it(which it doesn't). We have no idea what happened. I'm not sure what to do to stop it from spreading...a patch maybe ??

There isn't anything we can think of that we need to take it back to the dealer for, other than the generator issue which Chad is going to call about tomorrow.

We really love the layout and it worked well for our family of five...and our dog too. </span>

Old 04-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'm glad you had a great trip and everything (well, almost) ran fine. How suprised were the kids when they finally figured out where you were going?

I know what you mean about the wind... we hit some last year going across the Texas panhandle that made it hard just to stay in top gear!

How much fuel were you carrying when the gennie quit? I think the gennie fuel pickup only goes down to about 20% of the main fuel tank, so if you were getting low, it may have just been starving for fuel with any sloshing or bumping happening. Just a thought.

Maybe we can chat some more about your trip on Tues night at the chat session.

Wombat

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm glad you had a great trip and everything (well, almost) ran fine. How suprised were the kids when they finally figured out where you were going?

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">They were very excited. And now that they have been there they are VERY excited about going back again one day !! None of us knew what a great campground it would be.</span>

I know what you mean about the wind... we hit some last year going across the Texas panhandle that made it hard just to stay in top gear!

How much fuel were you carrying when the gennie quit? I think the gennie fuel pickup only goes down to about 20% of the main fuel tank, so if you were getting low, it may have just been starving for fuel with any sloshing or bumping happening. Just a thought.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I know we can only go to 1/4 of a tank before it turns off and we had almost a full tank at the time.</span>

Maybe we can chat some more about your trip on Tues night at the chat session.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Sounds good </span>

Wombat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-16-2007, 03:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Could the drivers seat have been to far aft when the slide came in or out?

Glad you had no major issues.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Lil'Darlin1972 could you provide a link the Disney message board where you posted. We are planning a trip to Fort Wilderness in the fall.

Thanks,

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:52 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JnGOnTheGo:
Lil'Darlin1972 could you provide a link the Disney message board where you posted. We are planning a trip to Fort Wilderness in the fall.

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HERE is the link.

FYI...her Fort Wilderness reports there are PRICELESS, as she has provided much needed and fun posts (for those of us that are heading that way soon)
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I...her Fort Wilderness reports there are PRICELESS, as she has provided much needed and fun posts (for those of us that are heading that way soon) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Awww...so sweet , THANKS !! The Disney board is a great place to get info before a trip. I read the board for 3 months before going and between reading all the posts and looking at the pictures, by the time we checked in, we felt at home. </span>

Old 04-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Generator for the TV? No inverter? I'd have to review the wiring diagrams of inverter/no inverter, but I'd bet you could hook one up pretty easy. Simple to add an outlet to be able to power up a laptop too.

On the generator quitting. Someone here may know if there's a low oil shutdown? Sure, it's new and SHOULD be full of oil, but you never know, a little low and some sloshing from driving may make it shut down. There's also a high temperature shutdown. Can't imagine how it's overheat driving in the wind, but you never know, air does some strange things sometimes.

Going to General RV Wixom? Chris and his team will take care of you I'm sure.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tderonne:
Generator for the TV? No inverter? I'd have to review the wiring diagrams of inverter/no inverter, but I'd bet you could hook one up pretty easy. Simple to add an outlet to be able to power up a laptop too.

On the generator quitting. Someone here may know if there's a low oil shutdown? Sure, it's new and SHOULD be full of oil, but you never know, a little low and some sloshing from driving may make it shut down. There's also a high temperature shutdown. Can't imagine how it's overheat driving in the wind, but you never know, air does some strange things sometimes.

Going to General RV Wixom? Chris and his team will take care of you I'm sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From looking at the brochure, there is an optional 300 watt inverter offered. My guess is the wiring would be in place for an easy inverter install.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-18-2007, 02:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We are taking delivery of our 35J from Wixom some time this week. I ordered it with the inverter. If I figure out where it is I will try to take pictures.

Tim, we live if Howell at the moment but we are thinking about moving back to Royal Oak. Where do you store your MH?

Thanks

Curt

'07 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
Curt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We are taking delivery of our 35J from Wixom some time this week. I ordered it with the inverter. If I figure out where it is I will try to take pictures.

Tim, we live if Howell at the moment but we are thinking about moving back to Royal Oak. Where do you store your MH?

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Hi neighbor...we live in Howell too. We are going to add the inverter as soon as we can...we just add other things to take care of first.</span>

Thanks

Curt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-18-2007, 06:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hi neighbor, did you purchase a surge protector?

Curt

'07 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
Curt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hi neighbor, did you purchase a surge protector?

Curt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We did. Not an onboard one though. We bought our coach at General in Wixom...great people. </span>

Old 04-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From looking at the brochure, there is an optional 300 watt inverter offered. My guess is the wiring would be in place for an easy inverter install.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Question- what will run off of an 300 watt inverter ?? The people at Camping World said it would not run an a/c unit. It was $1200 for the inverter but I don't see the point if we are going to have to use the generator anyway for the rear a/c. Traveling in the summer, the kids are going to need the a/c too...I doubt the dash will be enough to cool the whole coach.</span>

Old 04-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

A 300 watt inverter will not run an airconditioner, niether will a 2000 watt inverter. You have to add up the things (ac) you want to run without running the generator. TV, surround sound, satellite receiver. Most of these items list their wattage or amperage on the back of each unit.

I think the point of an inverter is to be able to run things for a certain period of time without a generator. And that all depends on alot of factors. Amount of wattage used, battery capacity, size of inverter, how long you need to have these items on for.

For example we have a 2000 watt inverter and can run the microwave to heat small items up, but not to cook a roast. We can watch tv for a few hours but the battery will be getting close to its capacity.

1200 dollars seems like an awfull lot of money for a 300 watt inverter. Walmart and many other stores have 600 watt inverters for a whole lot less.

We also have 400 watts of solar which work together with an inverter system. During the day the solar charges the batteries which run the inverter which will run selected ac items.

I am sure others can explain this better than I can. I hope I was of some help to you.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A 300 watt inverter will not run an airconditioner, niether will a 2000 watt inverter. You have to add up the things (ac) you want to run without running the generator. TV, surround sound, satellite receiver. Most of these items list their wattage or amperage on the back of each unit.

I think the point of an inverter is to be able to run things for a certain period of time without a generator. And that all depends on alot of factors. Amount of wattage used, battery capacity, size of inverter, how long you need to have these items on for.

For example we have a 2000 watt inverter and can run the microwave to heat small items up, but not to cook a roast. We can watch tv for a few hours but the battery will be getting close to its capacity.

1200 dollars seems like an awfull lot of money for a 300 watt inverter. Walmart and many other stores have 600 watt inverters for a whole lot less.

We also have 400 watts of solar which work together with an inverter system. During the day the solar charges the batteries which run the inverter which will run selected ac items.

I am sure others can explain this better than I can. I hope I was of some help to you.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thanks Jim...you were very helpful. Chad said the $1200 was for a 2000 watt inverter </span>

Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Shannone

Before you spend a lot of money on an inverter to try to run an AC unit, you might want to read this:

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volta.htm

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

The inverter will allow you to watch TV while in route. You cannot operate an AC unit. They are also good for coffee pots, computers, small electrical appliances, and convience items.
I installed a 2000 watt in our MH and find it very useful.
While in motion why run a genset to watch TV/DVD/VHS when the inverter will handle it with no problems.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:42 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lil'Darlin1972:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From looking at the brochure, there is an optional 300 watt inverter offered. My guess is the wiring would be in place for an easy inverter install.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Question- what will run off of an 300 watt inverter ?? The people at Camping World said it would not run an a/c unit. It was $1200 for the inverter but I don't see the point if we are going to have to use the generator anyway for the rear a/c. Traveling in the summer, the kids are going to need the a/c too...I doubt the dash will be enough to cool the whole coach.</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run the generator and cool off the coach just prior to leaving and then just run off the dash AC. I will start the genny if it gets too warm in the back however I am the one who likes it cold so the those who like it warmer will migrate further back and everyone is happy.

The built in inverter for the entertainment center will run the TV, DVD and Laptop.

In my previous coach I picked up a 750 watt inverter from Harbor Freight for about $39 and made my own relay bank for automatically switching over the house circuits and was able to run (one at a time) the microwave, coffee pot, refridgerator or vacuume cleaner with it. Several smaller items could be run in concert.

It does not have to cost alot of money unless you are looking for a fully automated system. Some replace your converter and transfer switch and will automatically start the generator when the AC calls or the batteries need charging but those cost substantially more.