Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2021, 10:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

almost a newbie 2010 ERA 170

Hello all. We bought an older (2010) low milage ERA 170 1 year BC (before covid ) and put new batteries, oil and filters in it, then drove it about 20,000 miles the first year. Last year drove less than 2,000 miles for SOME reason. The ERA is now approaching 50,000 miles.

We have tent camped up and down the Eastern US and Canada but little or no experience with a motorhome. I am about to go down the rabbit hole of upgrading the old electronics ... no inverter, no cameras, no gps, very noisy a/c and generator etc. But what's there works.

We are a retired couple based in Central Pennsylvania and will be heading west this time.
ArtDeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi ArtDeco,
The ERA is a great Class B motorhome. Any machine is just a collection of its parts. Keep everything working well, and upgrade what makes sense. The only time you really need to change is when that RV size isn't working well for you. It certainly is better than a tent, don't you think?
Head West, and follow the setting sun.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 09-23-2021, 01:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes, it certajnly beats a tent or the early 70s poptop VW Westfalia I had one summer back in the day. I bought that (very used) to take my young family to the Great Smokies park. 45 HP against the mountains isn't a fair fight ... the mountains won.
Meanwhile I've stayed warm and dry at almost 20 below in Ithaca NY in January in the ERA and can climb any mountain (in the East) at highway speeds as easily as a car.
ArtDeco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags