Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have been shopping for diesel pusher for the past few months. Recently we put a deposit on a leftover 2005 Tropi-Cal LX T399, scheduled for delivery last saturday.
Last saturday we went to the dealership to trade in our 2004 Hurricane 33SL and take delivery of the 2005 Tropi-Cal LX. I found a number of defects and told the dealership I would not take delivery. They apologized, provided me money for our fuel to travel there and asked what could they do to keep our business. The longer I studied the condition of the Tropi-Cal, the less I wanted that unit.
We shopped their inventory and they worked us a deal on a 2007 Meridian 36G. The Meridian just arrived at the dealership and we did not see it when we shopped the Tropi-Cal.
We are scheduled to pick up the Meridian this friday. This forum looks to be a great resource and I look forward to conversing with you about our Meridian ownership experience.

safe travels,
John
jthvalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have been shopping for diesel pusher for the past few months. Recently we put a deposit on a leftover 2005 Tropi-Cal LX T399, scheduled for delivery last saturday.
Last saturday we went to the dealership to trade in our 2004 Hurricane 33SL and take delivery of the 2005 Tropi-Cal LX. I found a number of defects and told the dealership I would not take delivery. They apologized, provided me money for our fuel to travel there and asked what could they do to keep our business. The longer I studied the condition of the Tropi-Cal, the less I wanted that unit.
We shopped their inventory and they worked us a deal on a 2007 Meridian 36G. The Meridian just arrived at the dealership and we did not see it when we shopped the Tropi-Cal.
We are scheduled to pick up the Meridian this friday. This forum looks to be a great resource and I look forward to conversing with you about our Meridian ownership experience.

safe travels,
John
Old 09-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
BLT
Winnebago Watcher

Welcome to the forum John
This is a great place to be when you have questions.. I think you will be much happier
with the choice you made but don't forget all motorhomes have problems, be it minor or major .. Do yourself a favor, don't take delivery till you have done a PDI (Post Delivery Inspection) any items you find get fixed b/4 you sign.. Again welcome and Congrats on your purchase..
hope to here about your experinces and travels..

BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
BLT
Winnebago Watcher

Here is a PDI you can use as a guide..
http://www.winnebagoind.com/pdfs/03inspection.pdf

BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hi John - welcome aboard!

I have driven and looked at a Tropi-Cal and thought it was an okay coach - it was casual looking though and I did not examine with an intention to buy. I think you are wise to pass up the 2005 "lot queen" for one reason and National's financial problems would be another major concern.

Take your time when you examine the coach and try to give it a real good look-over *before* they get your money - you will never ever have as much leverage with the dealership.

Let us know how it goes with the new baby!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

thanks for the useful responses and URL to the PDI. I *knew* this forum would be helpful!

take care,
John
Old 09-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum. That was a good move to not accept delivery if it was not 100%. If more folks would take that approach, the delaers would quickly learn to fix it right in the first place.

Hope you enjoy the new coach.

Ken
Old 09-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We picked up our 2006 Meridian 36G with 350 HP cat in May. Very few defects from factory, most every thing I corrected myself rather than take it back to dealer. Love the floor plan, the power is adequate to pull our Suburban, generally easy to drive. Mileage is poor, 7.2 MPG average. We've made trips to Yellowstone and Washington DC from Minnesota both 100% success. The radio stinks; get a MP3 player and plug it in the AUX inputs. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

John,
Welcome to this site and to Winnebago/Itasca Owners. I just traded my Suncruiser for a new Vectra. I'm jealous you already have your new unit as we will not see ours until the end of the month. I love the fact that more people own this product and can offer more help. (I was very lonely when I had an off brand). Good luck and good miles to you. I hope we can all help in the future.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I heard that the 36G is the most popular floorplan. We sure love ours. We have been out West once, up central twice and to Florida three times.

We also used ours as a hurricane evacuation plan several times.

Mileage varies on our coach. If I keep the speed below 70 we get around 9 MPG. If I keep speed below 60 we get around 10.4. We often tow a Honda Pilot, that drops the MPG only a slight bit.
Coach did well in Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain National Park.

We love ours and only hope we live long enough to get it paid off.

This forum is super and a great bunch of people who all know more than I do.

Walt and Sherri
Old 09-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Congrats.. I have an 04 36G. Have been to the west coast twice and numerous east coast trips. Handles great, Runs Great. Have had no major problems.. Happy camping
cmaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

John,

From one "newbie" to another, Welcome!

We have had our Meridian for almost two months and are very pleased. All the advice from the folks here have made us confident that we got a good one. We bought a slightly used 2005 34H that was traded in on an Allegro Bus. We have done 3 local trips and will head out next weekend for our first big trip. Leaving Florida for Montana, with a pass-through Forest City. If all goes well, we plan to go on out to California to visit family, and then go to 3-Ts in Arizona for their suspension upgrades.

We will burn a bunch of diesel, but it's good for the economy! I can't wait to go!

Best of luck with the new coach!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

THutch,

We made the big swing this summer from SC to CL and up the coast before turning for home. Was a great trip and I loved Montana. If it was up to me I would still be on the road. However, I have a partner who still needs a place without wheels to call home. Enjoy the trip and if you get to Oregon, be sure to try Tim's Potato chips.

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by teekay:
..... Mileage is poor, 7.2 MPG average. We've made trips to Yellowstone and Washington DC from Minnesota both 100% success. The radio stinks; get a MP3 player and plug it in the AUX inputs. Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Keep in mind diesels take 20K miles to break-in. We got about 7 mpg originally and now at 10K miles we are up to 8.2mpg. One fellow I met this summer with 22K miles on his '05 36G says he's around 9mpg.

Yes, the RV Radio is a weird bird. If John's new Meridian didn't come with it from the factory I highly recommend investing in Sirius Radio to hook into Aux. Get the Kenwood unit that detaches from the base if possible. The satellite antenna is special for RV's and fiberglass roofs (the dealer should be able to order and install it, make sure they seal it properly).

I also bought a additional "home" base unit and outside antennae. When we aren't in the MH we move Sirius the to the stick house. I happen to have a 1 watt FM transmitter so I plug it into that and we then have satellite radio replaying simultaneously through the home theater system and any other FM radios we care to turn on.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by THutch:
If all goes well, we plan to go on out to California to visit family, and then go to 3-Ts in Arizona for their suspension upgrades. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Let us know how the 3-T's upgrade works out for you (i.e. specific before and after comments). It's been on my wish list for a year but haven't had the opportunity to be int their neighborhood yet.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Geechee,<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a partner who still needs a place without wheels to call home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are originally from Calif...in fact, still have a retirement house there. We also bought a small house in Montana, and will use the coach to travel between our current home in Florida...when I get fully retired, we'll figure out where we want to really live! I used the Montana residence to register the coach, and didn't need the Montana LLC method.

vicsryd,

We have Sirius in several cars, and used a home kit to transfer one into the RV. I used the antenna that came with the home kit, and just used 3M trim tape to adhere it to the inside of the fiberglass front cap (up behind the TV switching box). Receives great right though the cap. Using the built in FM transmitter, I pick it up through the RV Radio and can receive it on the outside entertainment radio, also.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

vicsryd,

I don't have to tell you the before, since we have the same coach...but for others, it feels like driving a big marshmellow. Noticed in your sig that you have the TruCenter...did that help?
Old 09-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

thanks for all the responses and making a newbie feel so welcome!

We are picking up the Meridian tomorrow. I may not get much sleep tonite

Hopefully the dealership did a decent prep and the rig is ready for delivery

safe travels
John
Old 09-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Hi John,

Which dealer are you working with?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:53 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by THutch:
vicsryd,

I don't have to tell you the before, since we have the same coach...but for others, it feels like driving a big marshmellow. Noticed in your sig that you have the TruCenter...did that help? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I definitely wouldn't qualify our ride/handling as 'marshmallow'. If anything it tends towards a little too stiff and unyielding in corners. I attribute a lot of this to the front I-Beam suspension Going diagonally into a driveway or over a speed bump is a rock-n-roll nightmare (something the 3-T's setup is suppose to fix).

Your 'marshmallow' ride/handling sounds to me like your tire pressure is too low. My loaded 4 wheel weighing came out to be 8800lbs front axle (left front 4400lbs) and 16800lbs rear axle (right rear 8400lbs...we have the washer/dryer option which is about 500lbs right on the right rear). Per the Michelin tire pressure table I run 87psi front and 100psi rear (a couple lbs on the high side to be safe).

Take note, the rear axle on this chassis is rated only to 17500lbs which is pretty low compared to other rigs. You have to take some care in what you pack where to not to become overloaded.

We found the right front is very lightly loaded (only 3600lbs) and so we now put our heaviest stuff in the front right cargo bay to help balance things out.

The TruCenter work pretty well. It dampens the road steer with only is a slight increase the steering effort. The really cool feature is it's ability to adjust and lock-in straight line driving to compensate for cross-winds and road crowning so your not always holding the wheel left or right to compensate. Of course the main reason I have it is to help maintain control in the event of a blowout.