Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2023, 11:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2022 Minnie M221MB External Solar Panels?

I have a 2022 Minnie M221MB 26' and I am planning on increasing the Solar with some portable panels probably 200 watt and the batteries. I am trying to decide if I want to go with 2 x 12V parallel or 2 x 6V in series batteries.
I believe I have a 190 watt panel on the roof, (can't find the actual answer to that anywhere on line or in the paper work). I've been told that I shouldn't have 2 sets of panels with different wattage. So, (finally getting to the question) Can I plug the portable panels into the plug in provided by the trailer or should I go directly to the batteries with alligator clamps?
Has anyone done something similar to this.
Thanks, Rich
Rich Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Rich and welcome,

There have been many discussions about the solar hookup part of your question for various Winnebago travel trailers. And, it seems there is not one answer for all users.

If I remember correctly many or most of the past posters decided it was best to go the direct to the batteries route.

Having panels with mismatched wattage isn't really the issue, it's uncertainty about how the external connection is wired into the RV's existing electrical system. Winnebago has not be completely consistent with this connection.

On many RVs they wire the external port directly to the solar charge controller. When that is the case you must have external solar panels without a charge controller - because the port connects to the existing controller. You can't have two controllers connected to each other.

But on other RVs Winnebago connects the external port directly to the batteries without a controller in the loop. For that system you MUST use external panels that have a solar charge controller built in... or you must put one between your panels and the external port.

Making things more difficult many have found it difficult to find a portable solar kit without a built in solar controller. They are certainly available, but harder to locate.

So, to make things easier, many buy a portable kit with a solar charge controller built in and simply connect it to the batteries with alligator clips.

How you proceed is up to you. But at least you've got some info to go on.

The batteries are up to you as well. 2-12v 100aH batteries in parallel will provide 200aH of storage. But most 6v Flooded batteries are slightly higher at 220aH and two of them in series will provide 220aH of storage. So, it's only 20aH difference.

The 6v batteries are cheaper - but require constant maintenance, are extra heavy and take longer to recharge.

A great many old school RVers will say go 6v Golf Cart batteries all the way. But an equally large number of RVers will say get 12v AGMs for the long life and ease of use.

A growing chorus of modern RVers will say go with Lithium Iron Phosphate for deeper discharge, faster recharging, lighter weight and even longer life.

There is no one answer to any of these questions for all RVers.
Old 11-19-2023, 12:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hi Rich and welcome,

There have been many discussions about the solar hookup part of your question for various Winnebago travel trailers. And, it seems there is not one answer for all users.

If I remember correctly many or most of the past posters decided it was best to go the direct to the batteries route.

Having panels with mismatched wattage isn't really the issue, it's uncertainty about how the external connection is wired into the RV's existing electrical system. Winnebago has not be completely consistent with this connection.

On many RVs they wire the external port directly to the solar charge controller. When that is the case you must have external solar panels without a charge controller - because the port connects to the existing controller. You can't have two controllers connected to each other.

But on other RVs Winnebago connects the external port directly to the batteries without a controller in the loop. For that system you MUST use external panels that have a solar charge controller built in... or you must put one between your panels and the external port.

Making things more difficult many have found it difficult to find a portable solar kit without a built in solar controller. They are certainly available, but harder to locate.

So, to make things easier, many buy a portable kit with a solar charge controller built in and simply connect it to the batteries with alligator clips.

How you proceed is up to you. But at least you've got some info to go on.

The batteries are up to you as well. 2-12v 100aH batteries in parallel will provide 200aH of storage. But most 6v Flooded batteries are slightly higher at 220aH and two of them in series will provide 220aH of storage. So, it's only 20aH difference.

The 6v batteries are cheaper - but require constant maintenance, are extra heavy and take longer to recharge.

A great many old school RVers will say go 6v Golf Cart batteries all the way. But an equally large number of RVers will say get 12v AGMs for the long life and ease of use.

A growing chorus of modern RVers will say go with Lithium Iron Phosphate for deeper discharge, faster recharging, lighter weight and even longer life.

There is no one answer to any of these questions for all RVers.
Thanks for your reply. I guess I am looking for someone with the same trailer and what they did. Winnebago offers the plug in but another thing I learned is the Go Power controller provided may actually not be adequate for the panel that is on the roof. If I have a 190 watt panel that's 15.8 amps. The owners manual for the controller says it's rated for 10 amps! So adding any more panels is out of the question as is. Quite frustrating on the lack of information I can get from Winnebago, I guess I'll have to go to a service / repair location and see what they say. I may end up with what you are suggesting by plugging straight into the batteries. My only issue with that is the alligator clamps will reduce the input to some degree. Thanks again.
Rich Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 07:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I would verify which panels you have on the roof, 190 watts is kind of an odd number. I would also verify by model number which solar controller you have. I have had more than one RV over the years where the documentation didn't match what was installed.

I have discovered that knowing what is installed by personal verification beats the guesses from the manufacturer and the repair shops.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, panel, solar panel