Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Vista 27P

We are thinking of purchasing a Winnebago Vista 27P. We will be using in cold climates and wondered if the heated tanks will keep water from freezing? Also, are they heated by ducts from furnace or elements attached to tanks?
TheNoahx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

My Vista 30T is heated. I have run in some 15 deg with no problems. Of coarse the heater was running. But call Winnebago they will let you know what it has been tested to. I believe when I did for my coach it was the high teens.
I have been parked at temps in the high single digits and 30 MPH winds guesting to over 45 MPH. No problem. Always make sure you have plenty LP gas.
Let us know if you buy it.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Using the Vista or any motorhome in freezing temps that don’t last more than 24 hours or so is not a worry. Overnight freezes followed by days above freezing is fine, as well.

But even with heated tanks, staying in extended below freezing temps are a real risk of pipe damage.

If you take other precautions, such as skirting around the bottom and Aux heat underneath you might get by, but you’ll be uncomfortable inside no doubt. And you’d need to add a very large propane tank.

There are no motorhomes that offer true 4-season usage.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
My Vista 30T is heated. I have run in some 15 deg with no problems. Of coarse the heater was running. But call Winnebago they will let you know what it has been tested to. I believe when I did for my coach it was the high teens.
I have been parked at temps in the high single digits and 30 MPH winds guesting to over 45 MPH. No problem. Always make sure you have plenty LP gas.
Let us know if you buy it.
Thank you for your time and reply; I appreciate the information. Will keep you posted when we make the purchase.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

thank you for taking the time to reply and the information you shared. We will let you know how our purchase and use goes.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your reply and the heads-up information; I appreciate it.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #7
JBP
Winnie-Wise

There are aux heaters that can be placed in the water bays. I have two that I have never had to use. They are very small and get plugged into a switches that that come on at about 44 F and turn of at about 55 F. I have friends that travel to Alaska in late fall and they use them.
But you have to have electrical power. Inverter, aux gen, or shore power. I believe that the draw is small enough to run for a short while on inverter and battery. But if you are traveling the Ford engine will keep battery up.
Most of my friends have older DP and they run with generator on most of the time.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

You do not mention what year of 27P but both 2019 and 2020 have the same layout for furnace duct below the floor and having five outlets, so I would think you will be okay for reasonable travel in cold weather, depending on a couple things. One is that you do keep the inside heated a moderate levels as that pumps air through the ducts under the floors and those ducts are in an enclosed space with the tanks and will leak a fair amount of heat! Also, as mentioned what freezes is also a factor of how long and how cold the water will get before it is warmed again.
One big point to consider is any outside drain or faucet like the big black and grey water drains which are often sticking out below the floor. Those are much more prone to freezing as they are so exposed. But it does take a fair amount of time to freeze a four inch pipe enough to damage it!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago