Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2023, 05:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What Tools Are Needed When Camping?

I wanted to ask what tools everyone carries as necessities while out camping?
Wanting to put myself a toolbox together.
Thanks for your input.

Safe RVing,
TimeshareRV
TimeshareRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 06:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some will depend on how often you plan to use them as well as how you feel about the quality of the tools!

After we stopped doing the full time and traded RV, I wanted something I could stick in the RV and leave there without thinking I could use it at home. Quality is often a judgement thing with me.
If I'm going to use them a lot, I want good and plan to keep it.
I still have the first true set of tools I owned as they were a good set from Craftsman in a box where I never lost any and they are still very good tools for what I've done.

But that is not what I wanted for the RV. I wanted small and compact for hauling/storing but lots of variety as I never knew what I might need. Rarely used in ten years but definitely needed at times, so lower quality was okay for things I rarely used.

This set had all I wanted or needed at $29 when I bought but $39 now!

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...ece-64263.html

Best addition would be good multimeter but those I already had!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 03:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have a basic tool box. A socket set, screw drivers, pliers (needle noise, adjustable), vice gripes, hammer, set of allen wrenches. Electric tape, duck tape, etc. The list could go on forever. I have seen peoples rigs with a large fully stocked tool box. For me I try and keep it down to the basics, just enough to get me out of trouble (or into it). If a special tool is needed you can always find a big box that will have it.

Example while on this trip I had to replace the outside passenger mirror on the MH. The screws that hold the mirror were "star" screws. Now who carries a set of those around. Well I was lucky enough that the allen wrenchs would work. But as I was finishing up the guy next to me came over with his impact driver and a set of star bits. Go figure

I feel that a good multi meter is one of the most valuable items in the tool box. Last at the end of the year I take everything I have collected over the summer out of the tool box so I can start next year with the basics again.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:55 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Good responses offered here to work with from Morich and be happy. I have been a bit of a tool addict. Can't walk into a Harbor Freight or Home Depot without drooling over every tool on the shelves. Leaving the store without buying a tool is hard for me. Now after about 45 years of RVing I have way too many tools on board and they are heavy. I am constantly trying to eliminate unused tools. The flip side is that often something breaks while traveling I desperately need a tool I don't have! One just has to find a sweet spot on what logically to carry.

On my rig I carry a small tool bag of basics - screwdriver types, pliers, cutting tools, small hammer, multimeter, and battery powered drill set, and a few other smaller tools inside the coach in a cupboard to grab quick. Below in a dedicated storage compartment I carry more quantities of tools that are bulkier and heavier. These include (SAE and metric) substantial socket sets, large set of wrenches, hack saw, many variations of screw drivers, larger hammers, 2 jacks,tire wrench,3 types of pliers, a battery charger, wire cutters and crimpers, good box cutter, pex compression tool, and so on. Even more than tools I carry a good sized plastic box of oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid,pex parts, grease and grease gun,coolant and other essential liquids. Crimp connectors, extra coil and spark plug, batteries and fuses in large quantities and variety are also on board. I also carry a short section of pex just in case. I also carry about half a dozen rags and a tarp to lay on to get under the rig on hot and gravel like surfaces if needed. I have one full lower compartment dedicated to these fluids, tools and parts. (sorry "be happy"- I carry star screw drivers and torx tools.)

I know I over do it (my wife says), but they have all come in handy to have within reach at one time or another, especially when travelling in the middle of nowhere.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thinking of what we carried as tools leads me to suggest thinking of things more broadly then if we were thinking normal?

We have a pad designed and used for putting out when beach or sand camping. It saves tracking into the RV but also works for crawling under it!
We also carry lightweight line to hang wet swim suits. It would also be fine to cut off to hold a dragging tailpipe!
Every RV should have duct tape for unknown reasons!
Tape for insulation needs?

One tool with lots of different uses if really needed?

And one of the things I liked about the little Harbor Freight set was it did have lots of those weird little points and tiny screwdrivers for the weird fasteners like glasses and star drive!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

A lot of it will depend on your skill level, what you can do chassis wise and what will require outside help. It will also depend on the vehicle, for instance if you're driving a Sprinter chassis motorhome you will want Torx drivers and E-Torx sockets. Some vehicles will need SAE and some metric, and some both.
It's a balance between having what you think you will need and not going overboard, unless your rig is so big that weight and space are not a concern.

I've made up a canvas tool roll (Bravex) with all my mechanics tools for the MH and the toad, then I have a small tote with Sprinter only tools and house tools. Finally I toss in my electricians hip bag with everything needed for electrical, plus many of those tools double for chassis and house tools.

Asa a final note, I keep a torque wrench with an extension and socket to fit my wheel nuts.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I agree with Morich, but I'd add a folding shovel. Mine is a WWII era army surplus "entrenching tool" that I've had for decades. True military surplus entrenching tools are pretty expensive these days but there are lots of civilian options available. Look for quality and don't just buy the cheapest you can find.

Don't feel you need to go overboard. In most cases you're not going to be that far from a store if you need something exotic.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The most indispensable item in my tool box is probably the roll of 1" Gorilla tape. Close second is the roll of 2" Gorilla tape. All the screwdrivers and wrenches come in handy too, but probably not as frequently as the Gorilla.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:46 AM   #9
Boondocker

Here's a handy list from "Mortons On The Move." There's a lot more on this list than everyone might need, but it will give you some ideas.
https://www.mortonsonthemove.com/rv-tool-kit/
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping