Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2021, 09:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What Is This Connection

Checking my batteries, I noticed that one of the connections to my coach batteries had broken, probably due to vibration. On a recent camping trip neither my wife nor I were aware of any electrical malfunctions. Nonetheless, I bought a replacement wire and re-established the connection. Can anyone tell me what this connection does:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210624_Mystery-R.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	179762  
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looking at the Battery Installation diagram for your coach, that's a 150 Amp fuse--a very important safety feature to have.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisedge View Post
Checking my batteries, I noticed that one of the connections to my coach batteries had broken, probably due to vibration. On a recent camping trip neither my wife nor I were aware of any electrical malfunctions. Nonetheless, I bought a replacement wire and re-established the connection. Can anyone tell me what this connection does:
You state you bought a "replacement wire"? Well, what you have circled in your photo is not A WIRE. It's a large, as stated, maybe 150 amp FUSE or possibly higher in rating. In many coaches, like ours, a 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, that fuse is the protection of the coach/house batteries, should anything go wrong. If that fuse were to "blow" or become disabled in any way, we'd loose ALL 12VDC to the coach appliances/lights/water pump and many other 12VDC operated components.

You state yours was broken and you still had 12V appliances working correctly? Hmmmm. Apparently yours, or your large coach/house batteries are wired different than ours.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Mystery Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
You state you bought a "replacement wire"? Well, what you have circled in your photo is not A WIRE. It's a large, as stated, maybe 150 amp FUSE or possibly higher in rating. In many coaches, like ours, a 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, that fuse is the protection of the coach/house batteries, should anything go wrong. If that fuse were to "blow" or become disabled in any way, we'd loose ALL 12VDC to the coach appliances/lights/water pump and many other 12VDC operated components.

You state yours was broken and you still had 12V appliances working correctly? Hmmmm. Apparently yours, or your large coach/house batteries are wired different than ours.
Scott
The wire from the left terminal of that fuse is the one I replaced. The other end of that short wire went to the "hot" + terminal of one of my two parallel-connected AGM coach batteries. The reason the connection is a mystery to me is because all of my 12-volt devices seemed to be working okay during my last campground stay despite the fact that the wire to the fuse had broken loose from the battery. I simply restored the original factory wiring when I replaced the broken wire.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If your batteries aren't connected properly, it's possible this fuse isn't in a position to do its job.

Adding to FIRE UP's comment,I suggest you double check your battery wiring:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_174401.pdf

In the diagram, the positive battery posts are closest to the top of the page.

Note that, in the diagram, the right fuse terminal goes to the + battery post. Your comment and photo (if it isn't reversed) indicates the left fuse terminal goes to the + battery post. If the wiring is all correct except for the left/right issue, all is OK, the fuse isn't directional.

When you say the wire was broken, was it completely severed? If not, it's likely there was enough left to allow the necessary current flow to operate the things you were operating on your trip.

Let us know what you find out.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

lewisedge, the fuse is for the DC power to your inverter. If you were on shore power and never turned on the inverter you would not have known there was a problem.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
lewisedge, the fuse is for the DC power to your inverter. If you were on shore power and never turned on the inverter you would not have known there was a problem.

Thank you for your answer. That makes sense. I never tried to use my inverter during my last outing and would not have noticed the broken connection. That also explains why, when I replaced the broken wire, there was a minor spark but not like a heavy current drain. The inverter was turned off.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

On my coach, the other end of that wire is connected to my inverter. Larry, 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

On our coach that fuse is to the inverter/charger. You probably wouldn't notice any electrical issue unless you were using the inverter feature. The charger would take some time to discharge.

John
johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisedge View Post

It is a fuse.