Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roadmaster Tow Dolly

Thinking of purchasing a Roadmaster Tow Dolly. We travel from AK to the lower 48 in the fall hitting various points. We fly back and forth throughout the winter until we bring the unit back in late spring. Decided to take a vehicle with us but cannot flat tow and cannot find a flat bed trailer that will work. Wondering if anyone has experience with the Roadmaster Tow Dolly which I can get locally. We have a 2018 View 24D
mad2run2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
what vehicle do you want to dolly? not every vehicle can be dollied.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:38 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have owned/used a Roadmaster Dolly model 2000 for many years. However, not sure they make it any more, the new model is the 2050 RM3477 which is a bit different.

I've been pleased with mine, put many miles on it, still going strong. Very solid construction.

Be aware, both mine and the newer model come with electric brakes, so you will need a brake controller and the appropriate wiring for it on your RV. Not sure if the View has prewiring for electric brakes on the towed back to the 7-pin plug. You'll have to check. If not, you might want to consider a different model dolly that comes with surge brakes.

Finally, its a fairly heavy dolly, a bit over 550 lbs, so make sure that the combined weight of your toad and the dolly does not exceed your towing/hitch capacity.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have the Roadmaster RM3477 dolly, which has many, many miles on it. I like the electric brakes for a couple reason one they reduce the tong weight. The unit is well built and handles very well.

My complaint about the unit. Mine came with 1157 bulbs which were always coming out to the socket. After many years of fighting with them finally changed the lights for led's. It like everything else requires maintenance, shot a couple shots of grease into the hubs. Clean and grease the swivel pads at least once a year.

All in all very happy with the dolly
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Excellent. Thanks for taking the time to respond and providing great advice. I will check on the brake controller and other items mentioned. thanks again!
Old 06-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Best if you have a car with front wheel drive as no need to detach the driveshaft from the rear differential.

A friend has flown his small airplane from place to place and has bought $1000 junkers that he left at various airports. You might consider having a car in the US left in Washington state along with the tow dolly.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

i have the Master Tow dolly with auto Hydraulic braking system..been out west and winter in Florida for many trouble free years.....be aware of their misgivings like backing up but all in all a very good way to transport your fwd car...you cannot tow a lot of awd vehicles so be sure to do your homework...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

hi Reniram:
Can you explain your comment regarding backing up? I've backed up a trailer with the rv before; I presume this will be more challenging.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Generally, you cannot back up a vehicle on a tow dolly, because the front wheels of the vehicle being towed rest on a platform, that swivels on the dolly axel. You have no control over how that platform swivels, when backing up. When moving forward, it automatically aligns itself with the tow vehicle. However, when backing up, it is like pushing a rope. When going forward, it is like pulling a rope.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Charlie, like your explanation of the rope very true. Just the other day I had to back up maybe 4 ft with car and dolly attached. By the time I was done everything was turned every which way.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Mad2run2..don't be alarmed by the comments...just be aware as we all are when operating and towing your RV..always try to look ahead and make sure you have an exit when pulling in for gas or stopping for lunch etc...The only other comment I have is the reason I chose the Dolly with an independant Hyd. surge braking system is that you can use that same dolly on Any towing vehicle ..no need for electrical connections which limits you to that one vehicle...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for the information and advice. I'm very thankful for the heads up on the backing up. And, yes, the rope analogy was perfect.
Cheers all,
M
Old 06-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have a Tow Master dolly which is probably a little less expensive than the Roadmaster model you're looking at. It tows well, though none of the questions I have addressed to the manufacturer have been answered.

The dolly wheel holders swivel on the frame of the dolly. The Master Tow dollies do not have ramps which extend and drop down but instead have fixed ramps which toilts down to load the car. The weight of the car once loaded tips the ramps up parallel to the ground.

The explanation by Mtn Charlie about why you cannot back up with a tow dolly is well explained. The car and dolly will swivel in unpredictable directions if you back up, even a few feet.

Another challenge is learning how to get the straps on the front wheels of the towed car correctly and keep them tighetned throughout your trip. The new straps tend to come loose as your car turns left and right so you need to continually tighten them as they break in. I recently had one work its way down on the inside of the left front wheel and get pinched by the steering components. I had to back the car off the dolly and remove the left front wheel to get the strap separated from the steering components. Thus it is important to stop and tighetn the straps early in your trip.

Front wheel drive toads are ideal for using a tow dolly.
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:33 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2run2 View Post
hi Reniram:
Can you explain your comment regarding backing up? I've backed up a trailer with the rv before; I presume this will be more challenging.
Just so you know... those of us that flat-tow vehicles behind our RVs cannot back up either. So, that's not just a tow dolly "feature."

If you put a car on a trailer (flat-bed) then you can back up with your RV just like backing up any trailer.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Creativepart, that's good to know that flat towed vehicles cannot be backed up easily either.

I have been watching on our trip to Michigan this week and it seems like 90% of flat towed vehicles are Jeeps. I would love to flat tow, but Jeeps just don't have the room we would need for three big dogs.
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

FYI take care of your back.

These things are heavy. I have strained my back a few times now. I made a strap I can hook to the dolly and put over my shoulder to help move it when I have to. Pull throughs are a great blessing.

I have towed up to 75 mph ( not on purpose) with no issues. Hardly know it’s back there. Don’t forget how long you will be. Buy a spare tire.
dale57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:45 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
Creativepart, that's good to know that flat towed vehicles cannot be backed up easily either.

I have been watching on our trip to Michigan this week and it seems like 90% of flat towed vehicles are Jeeps. I would love to flat tow, but Jeeps just don't have the room we would need for three big dogs.
People will fight over this... some swear they are such good drivers that they can back their flat-towed tow up to 10' or so. But in out experience just backing 1 to 2 feet send the wheels akimbo and they start dragging. I don't try to back up even 4" when I'm flat towing.

Jeeps are popular... well because they are Jeeps. But also, the center differential on the 4-W drive system makes it easy to put into neutral for safe flat-towing with an automatic.

The number one most popular flat-tow has always been the pre-2015 Honda CRV. After 2015 they lost their flat-tow ability due to a transmission change.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:24 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Fascinating info. I too was wondering why so many flat tows were jeeps and crv's. Also good to know that flat tows aren't any better in the backup department. Thanks to Grapehound as well for the tip on checking the straps. I've got my tow dolly on order. Appreciate the advice and good counsel. Happy camping all on this Fourth of July weekend. Cheers.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #19
Itasca Sunstar Owner

I have the Acme Tow dolly. It is one of the lightest on the market (under 400lbs.) and does not swivel like other dollies which is good for cars that do not have locking steering wheels. I have had it for about 5 years and it is great. It also cannot be backed up but I have heard of people backing it up at least 50ft if your already straight.

https://cartowdolly.com

Tags
tow