Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
'21 View 24J

View 2021 Winterization

Hi - I thought I would pass on some info found during my inaugural winterizing of our new View.

The issue concerns the Truma water heater - it turns out that the water heater bypass valve # 1 does not actually do that job - selecting the Valve #1 to the Bypass position closes off the cold water intake - but antifreeze is allowed to enter the Truma and backfill the unit via the hot water outlet.

If you follow the steps in the 2021 manual on page 7 - 18, draining the Truma is one of the first things done. Draining the water and removing the filter allows for an open system - and then later when you pump antifreeze into the unit inadvertently via the hot water backfill - you end up with a driveway full of antifreeze and an empty antifreeze jug.

For a rookie Winnebago owner, this was very disconcerting! I shut things down, and came inside to try to figure out what was going on. First I went to the Truma manual; it was not very helpful, as it appears it is missing the diagram that the winterization text references. Next, I went to Winnebago’s neighbour at Lichtsinn RV to see if they had any info. Lots of great stuff there, including the Intel that the hot water tank bypass valve ... does not really do that job very well. Lichtsinn explained that they used to close the valve, but because it had no effect, they stopped doing that. They leave it open now and allow the Truma to attempt to fill with antifreeze via the cold water intake. Later on in the procedure, when all done pumping antifreeze, they drain the Truma and remove the filter for the winter.

After following the Lichtsinn procedure, all went smoothly. Good thing I had an extra jug of antifreeze.

I contacted Winnebago, and they said they would look into it. Based on my experience with them over the past year, I do believe they will fix up the manual. (They did admit they usually refer some of the questions they get on winterizing to the Lichtsinn videos.)

I think next season I will install a valve at the hot water outlet, like most other hot water tank bypass systems do. Maybe Winnebago will do that too.

For those in a similar situation me me, new to a View, I'd recommend that you leave draining the Truma until after you have finished pumping antifreeze. As for the use of Valve #1 - hot water bypass - it does not matter what position you select, antifreeze will end up in the Truma eventually either way.

For those that do not have to winterize... very envious.

Cheers,
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Don View Post
Hi - I thought I would pass on some info found during my inaugural winterizing of our new View.

The issue concerns the Truma water heater - it turns out that the water heater bypass valve # 1 does not actually do that job - selecting the Valve #1 to the Bypass position closes off the cold water intake - but antifreeze is allowed to enter the Truma and backfill the unit via the hot water outlet.

If you follow the steps in the 2021 manual on page 7 - 18, draining the Truma is one of the first things done. Draining the water and removing the filter allows for an open system - and then later when you pump antifreeze into the unit inadvertently via the hot water backfill - you end up with a driveway full of antifreeze and an empty antifreeze jug.

For a rookie Winnebago owner, this was very disconcerting! I shut things down, and came inside to try to figure out what was going on. First I went to the Truma manual; it was not very helpful, as it appears it is missing the diagram that the winterization text references. Next, I went to Winnebago’s neighbour at Lichtsinn RV to see if they had any info. Lots of great stuff there, including the Intel that the hot water tank bypass valve ... does not really do that job very well. Lichtsinn explained that they used to close the valve, but because it had no effect, they stopped doing that. They leave it open now and allow the Truma to attempt to fill with antifreeze via the cold water intake. Later on in the procedure, when all done pumping antifreeze, they drain the Truma and remove the filter for the winter.

After following the Lichtsinn procedure, all went smoothly. Good thing I had an extra jug of antifreeze.

I contacted Winnebago, and they said they would look into it. Based on my experience with them over the past year, I do believe they will fix up the manual. (They did admit they usually refer some of the questions they get on winterizing to the Lichtsinn videos.)

I followed the lichtsinn procedure as well. Last year when I first got it, I also drained the Truma first and had the same issue...ended putting the filter back in to repressuize the system and doing basically what lichtsinn recommends. This year was much easier and only required 2 gallons.
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

What is this "winterization" you speak of?
Old 11-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
'21 View 24J

Ha! Nice.

Have a good "early part of the year before Spring" down there!

Cheers,
Old 11-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
JCM
Winnebago Camper

Winterization diagrams

These will help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trauma Aqua Go Winterization.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	175819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trauma Aquago water heater  A.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	175820  

Old 11-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #6
'21 View 24J

Yes, that helps quite a bit, thanks.

I believe this diagram shows a true hot water tank bypass system, very different from what Winnebago came up with on our View.

I think for next fall I'll add a couple of valves to replicate what Truma is showing here.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Tags
winter