Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2021 view/Navion - Leveling options and vs30 chassis ride?

Hi,

We are seriously looking at ordering a 2021 Winnebago View/Navion 24V. We will be first time RVers after car tent camping for many years. We looked at the Leisure Travel vans as well but we like the 24V layout the best.

Questions?

1) We have test driven a couple of these but only with the previous sprinter chassis....not the new VS30. And not much test driving on the interstate at higher speeds. I am curious if anyone can comment on how their View/Navion handles on the interstate? How fast do you typically cruise? Does it sway- I have seen a few postings where folks have commented on the ride at higher speeds?

2)We will probably add an automatic leveling system? It looks like HWH , Bigfoot, and Equalizer are the most common. We are strongly considering ordering it from Lichtsinn and they use HWH. This would be convenient if we go this route. The Equalizer seems very good. It has a phone app and seems truly an automated option. Bigfoot is here in Michigan so some convenience there. I suspect if we don’t use the dealership would this impact the warranty? Recommendations?

3) Does the seat cover upgrade make for a more comfortable seat other than just matching the color of the rear seats?

4) Recommendations on other upgrades? surge protection?
Superboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ns-358277.html
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

got it..thanks
Old 08-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

No problem. It was just being discussed when you asked.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We picked our 21VD up from Lichtsinn in early June and have already put on over 5500 miles...

The biggest impact on driving is wind and precipitation. If the wind isn't too strong and the roads are dry, have been able to sustain 80 MPH, slowing down when the wind starts impacting the driving. Have noticed any swaying.

We have the seat upgrade - and the cab seats are pretty comfortable during long drives.

We had Lichtsinn install the following upgrades on our 24D: lithium batteries, extra 280W of solar, AMP-L-START, hard-wire surge protector, Winegard WiFI booster, WeBoost cell phone booster (would recommend the Drive Reach RV Extreme with the upgraded booster and inside antenna), TPMS, rear metal valve stems, exhaust bug screens, paint protection package (bugs come off easily when washing), tire sealant and nitrogen in the tires - plus the HWH levelers (and removing the stock hydraulic stabilizers) plus jack pads.

After delivery, we replaced the stock 32" ATYME dumb TV with a Samsung 32" 4K Smart TV and ordered a 3rd party 3" shorter replacement post for the secondary pedestal table.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
We had Lichtsinn install the following upgrades on our 24D: lithium batteries, extra 280W of solar, AMP-L-START, hard-wire surge protector, Winegard WiFI booster, WeBoost cell phone booster (would recommend the Drive Reach RV Extreme with the upgraded booster and inside antenna), TPMS, rear metal valve stems, exhaust bug screens, paint protection package (bugs come off easily when washing), tire sealant and nitrogen in the tires - plus the HWH levelers (and removing the stock hydraulic stabilizers) plus jack pads.
Which TPMS did you go with?

I’m having trouble finding the exhaust bug screens.
BigTexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Tireminder A1A TPMS system was installed by Lichtsinn. There is a newer model that also has an app to monitor on a cell phone - but after using the A1A on multiple trips, decided we really don't need it. I used a command strip to mount the TMPS on the center of the console between the middle cupholders.

On our drive home with the TPMS, it triggered a high pressure warning multiple times as the tires heated up. The tires on our 21VD are rated for 80 PSI, with the recommended pressure of 61 PSI. When the A1A is programmed for 61 as the recommended pressure, it triggers a high pressure warning when the tire pressure got into the low 70's, still below the max pressure for the tires. I raised the A1A's recommended pressure setting by a few PSI, which eliminated the false warnings. I also had Lichtsinn put nitrogen in the tires, which has reduced the pressure fluctuations and has also eliminated the need to periodically inflate or deflate the tires to keep them around 61.

The exhaust bug screens are small and round for the two exhaust ports for the coach heater - evidently there's a risk insects could nest in there - and since that heater isn't used very often (unlike the Truma), adding the screens seemed like a reasonable precaution.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you weight your View, then use the Michelin guide. I run 55 rear and 51 front on my View G.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Bug screens are one thing that we consider almost "required" as it is such a simple thing to prevent what can be a major problem. Most of the country does have some form of bug that likes to hide out in small spaces and keeping them out is so much easier than getting them out! Both water heaters and frig vents need some form of screen, whether it is dealer installed or DIY, it can make the difference in working or having to pull a unit out to get to a tough spot to clear them. Save ten dollars or risk blowing a hundred and half the vacation?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Seat and leveler follow up

Thanks for all the replies

Seat upgrade. - my impression was this was mainly to match the color. They come in black and the upgrade changes the color ot match the sofa. Is it stillthe same seat with just a new cover? Does it actually make it more comfortable? My wife likes soft seats

Leveler - talking with the dealer and there is an option to get these installed at the Winnebago factory. The cost is about half of what it would be to take it to the third party. Maybe $2-3k range? But may not be as heavy duty. Has anyone looked at tthe factory versus third party? I see the Equalizer has a smart phone app.

Other upgrades options at the factory
Lithium batteries
Sofa or recliner
Double pane windows ( these are plastic and not glass...not a slide but open out)
Blue-ray sound bar
Diesel generator
Fully body paint
Levelor
Seat upgrade
Old 08-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

"ordered a 3rd party 3" shorter replacement post for the secondary pedestal table"

I'm just curious, why do you have to order a 3" shorter replacement post? Can't the original be cut down by 3"?
Freedom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #12
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

Navion Add-Ons

Tire pressure should be set according to your RV weight as mentioned in another message !

Also, What is your GVWR ? LOOK at your yellow sticker, it will tell you there.

Take Your weight, spouses weight and dogs weight out of that GVWR number. Now take out ALL water weight (even 20 gallons of water will weigh 166 lbs.)

Now ADD the Levelers weight, Solar panels weight. Etc.....

If all the Extras are installed by the dealer, then there should be a second yellow sticker, telling the REAL GVWR.

WE owned a 2015 Navion and added the HWH Levelers, Solar panels with the necessary electrics and a Rear larger SWAY bar.

After our 350 lbs, 15 lbs dog, 20 gallons of water,. We had about 480-540 lbs. Left for any FOOD, LUGGAGE, BOTTLE WATER, GRAND CHILDREN ???

WE SOLD OUR Navion and bought a 2019 Sightseer 33C. Our yellow sticker said:. 3195 lbs. That NOW IS PLENTY OF WEIGHT LEFT.

Just BE CAREFUL with adding things. Should NOT drive if your RV is OVER the GVWR.
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

we ordered a new 2014 24V from Lichtsinn..we kept it 23 most, 37K miles. The experience was fantastic. I did not get levelers, I did not up grade the suspension, and, I did not need to. We went up every mountain we could find, and it performed amazingly.

So, I would order the options You want, and wait on the decision for options you are undecided on, that you can add
Old 11-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom24 View Post
"ordered a 3rd party 3" shorter replacement post for the secondary pedestal table"

I'm just curious, why do you have to order a 3" shorter replacement post? Can't the original be cut down by 3"?
Has anyone cut down the original post by 3"?
Lou D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:52 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

TPMS have been required by law for all passenger cars and trucks since 2007 if the GVWR is 10,000 lbs or less. That Mercedes skimps on this is like how Jeep with its Wrangler "utility vehicles" gets around the crash ratings. For the cost of adding a third party TPMS I can buy several dozen tire gauges.

Regular air is 80% nitrogen so going from 80% nitrogen to 100% nitrogen is not going to make a difference except to add to the profits of the dealer.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:58 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou D View Post
Has anyone cut down the original post by 3"?
The secondary table pedestal posts are tapered on both ends, to provide a snug fit and (try to) keep the tables from turning.

So cutting the post would probably not work - especially if trying to reduce the height by 2-3".

Also, the cost of the replacement pedestal post was pretty low - so it made more sense to just order a shorter post.

We ordered a 27" (3660032-P) and 25" (3660026-A) post from Cascade Depot, and ended up using the 25" post, bringing the table down to a height more comfortable for dining and using a laptop. The 25" post only costs $23.99 (plus tax/shipping).

Our dinette table is about an inch too high, while it's usable, the height is a little uncomfortable when using a laptop or dining - but not enough to get us to spring for a replacement pedestal. Wish Winnebago used an adjustable height pedestal instead of fixed height...
Old 11-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
The secondary table pedestal posts are tapered on both ends, to provide a snug fit and (try to) keep the tables from turning.

So cutting the post would probably not work - especially if trying to reduce the height by 2-3".

Also, the cost of the replacement pedestal post was pretty low - so it made more sense to just order a shorter post.

We ordered a 27" (3660032-P) and 25" (3660026-A) post from Cascade Depot, and ended up using the 25" post, bringing the table down to a height more comfortable for dining and using a laptop. The 25" post only costs $23.99 (plus tax/shipping).

Our dinette table is about an inch too high, while it's usable, the height is a little uncomfortable when using a laptop or dining - but not enough to get us to spring for a replacement pedestal. Wish Winnebago used an adjustable height pedestal instead of fixed height...
Thanks for that information, that makes sense. I will look at those. We just picked up our 24D at Lichtsinn on Friday and are working our way back home to Arizona. We're figuring out what we may need. I had them install HWH levelers and they work for us. Also, the extended valve stems without the tire minders.

Last night we spent the night at Foss State Park Oklahoma and got the tail end of the ETA storm from the gulf. It was a very exciting night.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Curious which aluminum wheels came on your new 24D. I heard they are not using Alcoa. Any chance of posting a picture of your front and back wheels if they are not Alcoa. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom24 View Post
Thanks for that information, that makes sense. I will look at those. We just picked up our 24D at Lichtsinn on Friday and are working our way back home to Arizona. We're figuring out what we may need. I had them install HWH levelers and they work for us. Also, the extended valve stems without the tire minders.

Last night we spent the night at Foss State Park Oklahoma and got the tail end of the ETA storm from the gulf. It was a very exciting night.
berniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:51 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
If you weight your View, then use the Michelin guide. I run 55 rear and 51 front on my View G.

That is a terrible recommendation. Going by the tire manufacturer's specified PSI is what lead to the deadly Ford Explorer crashes. I trust the chassis manufacturer who knows all about the suspension and handling when making tire pressure recommendations.

Underinflatted tires have more sidewall flexing and so run hotter and there is an increased chance of sudden failure of the tire.

The feds mandated tire pressure monitors on new vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs or less and this was done to reduce fuel consumption that results from underinflated tires. It had nothing to do with safety although that is a side benefit as well as more miles per set of tires.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniez View Post
Curious which aluminum wheels came on your new 24D. I heard they are not using Alcoa. Any chance of posting a picture of your front and back wheels if they are not Alcoa. Thanks.

Mine are Alcoa. When I was at Lichtsinn last week to pick it up there were several other 24D's that had different wheels than mine. They were delivering about 3 the day I was there and they had another 10 on the back lot. Half had Alcoa wheels and the other half had different wheels. I don't remember who the manufacture was but it wasn't Alcoa.

Tags
chassis, leveling