Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Am I naive?

My wife has complained for some time that "stuff" has a tendency to disappear from our RV when it is in for service. Not expensive stuff, but small stuff like shirts and bathing suits. I had a hard time believing that anyone in a respectable Ford dealership where we take our RV for normal service, or in the RV dealership itself would be stealing stuff like that, but since our RV is now in for some extended service to fix a DEF issue and will be there for "a couple of weeks" she insisted that we empty out the stuff we keep in the RV. When we did so she listed the stuff that is no longer there.

Now we don't keep any expensive stuff in the RV when we are not using it. We remove all of the portable electronics, cables, cameras, money and the like when we return from a trip but have been leaving clothing, towels, slippers and other stuff because it is just a lot of trouble to empty everything out and then restock it when we go on another trip.

Has anyone seen stuff disappear when their RV is in for service? I assume the service folks are all bonded and I did not worry about that before, but I have begun to do so now. Have I been naive?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Bottom line, YES!
We do not leave anything in the RV or we stay with it when serviced as we do lose things from the cars if we don't remove things. And we do find it to be the small stuff which is more likely to go missing rather than the large stuff we we don't leave at all.
things that we have lost from the car due to thinking it not worth the effort to remove and who would be so little to steal things like that? Most of the change we keep on the console for tolls, a foldup umbrella, an LED flashlight which we get free from Harbor Freight. The one which hurt the most was losing the special socket for dealing with the lug nut on Honda tire protection packages when we went to a full service car wash for cleaning the interior.
If we want to keep it, we have to remove it as the folks who do not get to eat everyday have to get something to trade, even if it's only for a burger! It seems they are far more prone to stealing the things we are slowest to notice? Clothing from the closet seems like a good item.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
...Has anyone seen stuff disappear when their RV is in for service? I assume the service folks are all bonded and I did not worry about that before, but I have begun to do so now. Have I been naive?
nope. the only theft we have ever had in the past 34-years was from a campsite while we were gone for the day...and that was ~32-years ago. we used to store our MH at the RV dealer (they had a key). we moved it to the shop who services the chassis (much, much closer to us) and they, too, have a key.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Just because the dealer is reputable doesn't mean that everyone that works there is above reproach. Or maybe it's other customers, or people hopping a fence, you just don't know.
In a case like that I'd assume that my wife is correct and remove everything that I don't want to walk away.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Just because the dealer is reputable doesn't mean that everyone that works there is above reproach. Or maybe it's other customers, or people hopping a fence, you just don't know.
In a case like that I'd assume that my wife is correct and remove everything that I don't want to walk away.
We went there this morning and she removed the last items she was worried about and I removed my tools from the locked exterior storage area.

It is interesting that the RV, which is stored in their walled service area, was unlocked with the keys inside in the ignition. If we could drive in there and unload it with no one saying anything to us, I suppose anyone else could as well.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

When we used to do business with a family owned RV dealer about two miles from our home (over 30 years), we never lost anything when left for service. I had to take our 5th wheel toy hauler in to Camping World for service in 2015 and lost a full tank of gasoline while it was there, about 25 gallons. They said, “oops sorry”. We store our Winnie at home so the only thing we take out is food and dirty laundry otherwise.
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

AJMike you aren't Naive, you're just an honest person and your thought processes aren't wired to think that way.

Be glad instead.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have had two RV's broken into and valuables stolen when in storage. I had one RV stolen, and a fair amount of damage, even thought it was used in a "sting" operation for a county sheriff's operation about 75 miles from our storage unit. The storage facility didn't know it was gone--despite 2 guard dogs, a cut fence and some sort of sonic alarm....I had to pay $300 cash to get it out of impound, hot wire the broken ignition switch to drive it home. I even testified in the trial of the scum who stole it--it was before 3 strikes. He had several priors and was on trial for stealing not only my RV, but several cars, and an 18 wheeler loaded with cigarettes. He got 6 months! (Long time ago in Calif.)

We keep the RV at home these days, and if we leave it at any storage, we take anything of value out of it. I have never had items stolen at a dealer, but I don't want to take that chance. If there is no change in the coin holder, no one will be tempted. No tools, to steal, no temptation. Sorry I have to do that, but I think it is prudent in today's world.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quite likely naive is not the correct term but something that holds less judgement involved?
What we all may call just different thinking? We all lock our doors far more than we used to 50 years ago but most of us who have looked around a bit would admit that locks are not much more than feel good for protection.
Watch a fireman go in a door sometime? The rookie may try to chop his way in but the old hat just throws a hip into it and walks in much faster!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:38 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

After probably a dozen or so service visits that involved leaving the RV with a shop, all day, and a few overnights, we have never noticed anything missing.

However, we also remove any of the obvious targets like electronics or items that would be described as valuables. They travel with us in the car. Other items that might be of interest, are out of sight, to keep the honest technicians honest.

But if a person is determined, they could gather lots of items in a short time. A sad but true situation.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
JBP
Winnie-Wise

We have not had any problems. We do have cameras in the coach. They are there to watch the dogs when we are away. These may cause people to pause before taking anything. They may not realize that they may not be on.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We have been in motorhomes for more than 20 years and to the best of my knowledge, nothing has been taken when having service. For routine service we use a nearby dealer for and repair. We always drop off and pick up with at least an overnight stay. If servicing or repair on a trip, we take our computers, but certainly don't empty the unit. We store expensive things like cameras, but if someone went looking they would be obvious. I have never even considered the possibility of theft. On the other hand, checking for damage - I have had that. I do a walk around before I leave. I now know that I need to check tires. I suspect, but could not prove that a tire was somehow ripped open at a Ford dealer. It was RR, inside. I certainly never heard the blowout. I drove it back to my storage area and found it when checking tires before the next trip.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ford Service

So was listening to mp3 player on way to get a recall done and left it on the dash shelf above the engine cover. They had to remove cover to do recall work and I had forgotten about the mp3 till my next trip and I couldn't find it - I even took the cover off thinking it may have fallen on top of the engine and finally figured that maybe the somebody at the ford place took it but it wasn't worth mentioning to them without real proof of theft. Anyhow about a year later I put a drink in the black cup holder on the engine cover and it didn't fit all the way down because there was the black mp3 player in the bottom of the dark cup holder! Faith restored in my fellow man as I be-bop down the road listening to my playlists. So I probably won't leave money or credit cards laying around but wouldn't clean out motor home for service appointments.
chickenman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #14
RVCalypso

My brand new Super C got broken into at Rush Truck Center in Tucson, AZ when it went in for it's first warranty visit. The theft smashed a widow and busted the cabinet the housed the TV so they could steal it. The worst damage came from the police when they decided they would dust for finger prints. It took 3 months to get the repairs completed. Never has a problem with a storage yard.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

yep i have. i took my new micro mini in for add ins and service and they took a week to complete. when i got home discovered the power cord and cranks for the motorized hitch and stabilizing jacks were missing. dealer replaced them but should never have happened. i take out all valuables when i get home. when i took it in last time i waited for it and checked compartments before i left.
giraffenut is offline   Reply With Quote