Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile Ready to take the plunge!

This Friday we are going to pick up our new baby—a Minnie 29B 2002 in very very good condition from a dealer that has been in business for 40 years. My DW and I used to pull a 19 footer behind our Jeep Grand Cherokee and we took that thing places in Colorado that you should NOT take a rig. If you have seen the movie “The Long Long Trailer” you know what I mean!

Anyway, we sold it several years ago for financial reasons at the time but have dearly missed all the week-end and longer trips we used to take. After Tent camping in the San Juan’s last summer we decided to start looking for a rig again. Since our Jeep is now over ten years old I thought that since we had never tried a MH before—and if we bought a trailer or fifth wheel I’d also need to get a new Tow vehicle as well, I talked the DW in to trying a MH. She was very scared of driving a bigger class A so we focused on a class C. After a considerable amount of on-line research (what valuable resource iRV2 is) and kicking the tires at dealers and private parties, with some additional serendipity, we found our Minnie and put a deposit down on our Winnebago last week.

Then the roller coster really started as we tried to verify we got an OK deal, the rig would work for us, is the unit in good working order, comparing prices, and did I mention that I found the rig by myself and my DW had not seen it with her own eyes only pictures? (it was located in a different town)

Anyway, all that to say that we think the coach is built by a great manufacturer, has been well cared for, and will give us a good introduction to Motor homes versus trailers. DW has now looked at the rig.

Our only last concern is the length which we worry is a little long. we really like staying in state parks and National Forests. Since I’m a tall guy we really wanted a walk around bed. I guess time will tell. We intend to full-time in about a decade when we retire and I hope this rig serves as a good introduction for us.

I just wanted to say thank you for your great sharing of information on this site and I feel like you guys are friends I did not know I even had.

Thank you for letting us share our excitement (and fear) with you!

Grace and Peace,

Joe
PeakFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Joe;

Welcome to the forum. I believe you have found the friendliest site on the Internet. Congratulations on your new to you Minnie. Post often and tell us about your travel experiences. Don't be afraid to ask questions as we have a wealth of experience here just by asking for input.

I would like to encourage you to go up to the New Member Check In and introduce your self so more of our members get to know you.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Don't worry about the length. We had a 31' Class C and we could take it any where we wanted. We can't take the 35' Class A to all the same places.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Joe:

Congrats on your new rig and welcome to the forum . You will find many helpful and satisfied Winnebago owners here.

I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with the entire site including the Class C section under the Motorhomes area.

While the issue of 'tail drag' is a concern with many types of RV's, you may need to pay special attention to that issue with a 29' Class C. If the rig does not have a good set of sturdy steel wheels mounted to the frame at the rear, you might want to consider getting some installed.

Enjoy and come back often to share your RV experiences.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Joe:

While the issue of 'tail drag' is a concern with many types of RV's, you may need to pay special attention to that issue with a 29' Class C. If the rig does not have a good set of sturdy steel wheels mounted to the frame at the rear, you might want to consider getting some installed.
Wow. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard about this. What size wheels and what is there function? I don’t think I’ve come across this in my research. Can you tell me more? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

HI Joe: I think you will find the length a good size for you. You will be able to get in just about everywhere.

The wheels mentioned by Gary are small steel wheels, about 6" (I think), that are attached to the rear frame of the motorhome. When you go up or down a driveway or hill, the wheels will act a a skid and turn so you don't drag on the frame or bumper.

Enjoy that new motorhome--

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFinder View Post
Wow. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard about this. What size wheels and what is there function? I don’t think I’ve come across this in my research. Can you tell me more? Thanks!
If it were me, and the coach I was looking at had a few miles behind it and no wheels, I'd just check the rear frame to see if it had a tail dragging issue (should be evident, I'd assume). If not, I wouldn't worry about it for that particular coach.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcCardell View Post
If it were me, and the coach I was looking at had a few miles behind it and no wheels, I'd just check the rear frame to see if it had a tail dragging issue (should be evident, I'd assume). If not, I wouldn't worry about it for that particular coach.
That’s a good point. Although I guess it depends on what kind of camping/sites the original owner frequented would it not? Fortunately, the dealer gave me the name of the original owner and I have talked to him about some other things. I guess I’ll give him a call and see what kind of places they often stayed in. I‘m pretty sure the places I like to go the skid wheels might be a good idea.

Either way thanks everyone for mentioning this issue to me so I can at least be aware and keep an eye out!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

When it comes to tail dragging, I find driveways are the biggest problem, not the RV park. I added a wheel to my hitch so I would not drag it as I exit driveways. I often hear it hit the concrete. The other trick is to try to drive out at a 45 degree angle slowly. This will often allow enough clearance to avoid bottoming out.

Good luck and have fun!